Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Servers and TeamSpeak 3 May Go DOWN - Techs are Repairing right now...

=VG= SemlerPDX

From Chatbox:

=VG= SavageCDN wrote ...

Hetzner server has a failed disk which is probably causing those disconnects. I've opened a ticket with them not sure how long it will take to fix, sorry. ... I need to perform full backups before the disk is replaced.. just in case. All should be back to normal by tomorrow morning.

=VG= Robotfungus wrote ...

PR and teamspeak both keep dropping out

=VG= SavageCDN wrote ...

Yep I've asked them to replace the failed hard drive.. they say 3-4 hours to complete. If TS3 and games go down completely that is why... sorry for the inconvenience.
!dash

I can't even access the server remotely now so hopefully the Hetzner techs are working on it.

=VG= Solarflame wrote ...

Well the hard drives are raid 1 right? We shouldn't have lost any data... I'm not even sure why the server is down... The drives should be hot swappable. All it should need to do is swap in a blank drive and let it rebuild the array. Not sure what sort of weird set up they're running if one disk on raided hard drives cause the server to down..

I'd be tempted to ask them why, exactly, do we have any downtime... This is exactly the sort of thing that raid is supposed to prevent..
... On another note, nice job savage.

=VG= SavageCDN wrote ...

It's Windows software RAID (yuck) and apparently they have to power down the server in order to swap the drive. I had to agree to this before they would do the work:

"Furthermore, I understand that the server needs to be switched off and disconnected from the mains for the hard disk to be exchanged"

OMG - thanks for the update - TS3 did indeed go down just now, and I was worried it was something I did! hah! had logged into TCAdmin and had to enter password - thought some other browser captured my keys and went and fucked shit. ugh
!suicide Nice to know it's just that our awesomeness over the years fried a drive.

That hard drive (if dead from use and not inherent defect) is like Deep Space 9, when they wore out the Defiant's phaser power cells often during the war:

"Take a good look at this, people. It says something about this ship. It says that we will fight, and we will keep on fighting, until we can't fight any more!", places spent cell on display next to the others, "You don't just throw something like this away!"
!fans
Wish we could have the dead drive to mount on the VG Lounge wall. Ha!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 Jan : 07:00am SavageCDN =VG= wrote ...

Temp teamspeak server is back up and running same IP and login info

ts3.veterans-gaming.com or 5.9.23.136 is the IP (same as before)

Also it may go down a few times today as things get installed, restarted, etc. No game services yet, need to install, configure and restore TCAdmin first.

Software raid 1 is terrible guys! It's slow and costs CPU performance. It would help if you install a hardware raid controller and at least raid 5 with 3 disks or more. With raid 6 you can have two disks to fail. Add a hotswap cage as well and you wont have any downtime when facing disk problems... :) I don't want to sound like a mr know-it-all, but I happen to be a network engineer by profession.

If you need any help of somekind, I would be happy to help you out.

I'm going to donate some cash this month, I hope this will help. (and hope you will upgrade the server in the future as well :) I know how much money these things cost!

Good Luck

^ I would love to do this as well but to add just a 4 port controller card costs an additional $25 USD per month.. might also need to replace the current drives I'm not sure... in which case another $25 USD or so per drive per month (2TB sata6)

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40
(under optional features)

Lol - we don't need raid5 or 6?

The only benefit of RAID5 & 6 over RAID1 is that it allows you to get more space out of your disks. RAID1 is much less cost effective because you're always halving your total capacity - which costs companies a lot of money.

We used about 20% of our total space - so a non issue for us. RAID1 is the way to go.

Our web server runs linux with HW RAID1.

Its not a case that we don't know what we are doing or we aren't aware of the differences between software and HW raid - its simply down to budget. Our money comes from donations and we cannot afford all the luxuries we would like. In an ideal world we'd own a rack and would be using a SAN rather than local storage at all..

Gonna need some assistance with PR installation and config... I have BF2 installed through TCA just need someone who knows how to setup PR.

I'll try and get the A2 Insurgency server up today.

The backups for Minecraft seemed to work so we can setup both those servers again.

What else needs to be done?

Ok, I did not notice you are renting server space. I presumed you owned the server. I checked the prices at hetzner Savage and it offers a lot of value for the money. It adds up real quickly when you want a bit more reliability, my god. I think my solution will cost small fortune there. And yes SolarFlame, raid five is used when you want more efficiecy on space, but when you need little space it does not benefit you. I also do not think you don't know what your are doing or what you are talking about. My apologies if I made that intention.

I'll check for the difficulty classes stuff.. nothing related to PR was recoverable unfortunately.

On that particular topic... does anyone know of a good free backup program that works with open files?

difficulty classes stuff - where was that stored in the A2 game directory?

Probable location and filename varient: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile#Location

I really hope we have those files....and the other configs, too...

SavageCDN =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

On that particular topic... does anyone know of a good free backup program that works with open files?

Found the A2 difficulty file

version=1;<br />blood=1;<br />singleVoice=0;<br />gamma=1;<br />brightness=1;<br />shadingQuality=7;<br />shadowQuality=3;<br />maxSamplesPlayed=32;<br />class Difficulties<br />{<br />    class recruit<br />    {<br />        class Flags<br />        {<br />            Armor=1;<br />            FriendlyTag=1;<br />            EnemyTag=0;<br />            HUD=1;<br />            HUDPerm=1;<br />            HUDWp=1;<br />            HUDWpPerm=1;<br />            HUDGroupInfo=1;<br />            AutoSpot=1;<br />            Map=1;<br />            WeaponCursor=1;<br />            AutoGuideAT=1;<br />            ClockIndicator=1;<br />            3rdPersonView=1;<br />            UltraAI=0;<br />            AutoAim=0;<br />            CameraShake=0;<br />            UnlimitedSaves=1;<br />            DeathMessages=1;<br />            NetStats=1;<br />            VonID=1;<br />        };<br />        skillFriendly=1;<br />        skillEnemy=0.55000001;<br />        precisionFriendly=1;<br />        precisionEnemy=0.55000001;<br />    };<br />    class regular<br />    {<br />        class Flags<br />        {<br />            Armor=1;<br />            FriendlyTag=1;<br />            EnemyTag=0;<br />            HUD=1;<br />            HUDPerm=1;<br />            HUDWp=1;<br />            HUDWpPerm=1;<br />            HUDGroupInfo=1;<br />            AutoSpot=0;<br />            Map=1;<br />            WeaponCursor=1;<br />            AutoGuideAT=1;<br />            ClockIndicator=1;<br />            3rdPersonView=1;<br />            UltraAI=0;<br />            AutoAim=0;<br />            CameraShake=1;<br />            UnlimitedSaves=1;<br />            DeathMessages=1;<br />            NetStats=1;<br />            VonID=1;<br />        };<br />        skillFriendly=1;<br />        skillEnemy=0.69999999;<br />        precisionFriendly=1;<br />        precisionEnemy=0.69999999;<br />    };<br />    class veteran<br />    {<br />        class Flags<br />        {<br />            HUD=1;<br />            HUDWp=1;<br />            HUDGroupInfo=0;<br />            Map=0;<br />            WeaponCursor=0;<br />            ClockIndicator=0;<br />            3rdPersonView=1;<br />            UltraAI=0;<br />            CameraShake=1;<br />            UnlimitedSaves=0;<br />            DeathMessages=1;<br />            NetStats=1;<br />            VonID=0;<br />        };<br />        skillFriendly=1;<br />        skillEnemy=0.79999995;<br />        precisionFriendly=1;<br />        precisionEnemy=0.79999995;<br />    };<br />    class mercenary<br />    {<br />        class Flags<br />        {<br />            UltraAI=0;<br />            DeathMessages=0;<br />            NetStats=0;<br />            VonID=0;<br />        };<br />        skillFriendly=1;<br />        skillEnemy=1;<br />        precisionFriendly=1;<br />        precisionEnemy=1;<br />    };<br />};<br />sceneComplexity=300000;<br />viewDistance=1600;<br />terrainGrid=10;<br />volumeCD=6.5;<br />volumeFX=8.5;<br />volumeSpeech=5.5;<br />volumeVoN=6.5;<br />vonRecThreshold=0.029999999;<br />

Work has been nuts for me this week but I do have the day off tomorrow and will be on TS. I know how to setup the Arma servers but that's about all I've done before. We need to re-setup PR servers x 2 and Minecraft servers x 2 (MC we have a backup, PR we do not). There were other servers too in TCAdmin not sure if we need them.. Terraria, etc. Thoughts?