VETERANS-GAMING is Proud to Announce

a New System for our Project Reality COOP Server:

PR-Maplist-Randomizer-Img-Final-Web.jpg

Huge thanks goes to Xenalite for creating this system - next time the server crashes, and you DON'T have to play Muttrah once again, be sure to give him your thanks!!

In the past, we have used systems that forced the server to restart at a certain time once a day to change to one of 4 pre-set maplists that we created.  Though this was a great start to relieving the annoyance of playing Muttrah after every crash or restart, it introduced another annoyance in the forced restart itself and never really removed the problem of playing the same map over and over in one day surrounding crashes or restarts. This randomizer will ensure that the VG Project Reality Server map rotation will remain fresh and new after every restart or server crash.  Each time the server restarts or crashes, a new maplist will take effect, with the first several maps being chosen from a select few we know to be good seeding maps.

VG PR Maplist Randomizer features:

• Randomizes the map list, with a unique map at the beginning (following a crash or restart).
  • Excludes maps (which we place on a list) that were broken by an update or otherwise undesired on our maplist.
  • Starter maps are random and unique, i.e. No 2 of the same map in first 10 rounds.
  • Round 11 and on are non-starter maps taken from discarded starter maps and all other enabled maps.
  • Remaining maps are random and non-adjacent, i.e. No 2 of the same map back-to-back.
  • If a map is on disabled maps list, it will never appear in the final map list.
  • The odds of playing the same starter map after crash is max 2% when running as designed

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

*FYI: If a map is not relatively easy for most players and tickets do not bleed on the last flag, the map will not be found in the seeding maps list.
Also, force restarting the server through TCAdmin will not force the maplist to randomize.  I may create a button for that purpose so it can be manually executed if needed, though the need would be rare.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

next time the server crashes, and you DON'T have to play Muttrah once again, be sure to give him your thanks!!

can we ban him for this? ;P   i love muttrah...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Nice work gents!

Have a tasty crumpet for all your hard work.

image.png.16a8bbf4a17b869f384bc4a5e5a70e8d.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well ! i thought X is good only at sucking candy all the day and play PR.

THanks only beause Semler asked for it. because i love muttrah too :D 

kidding ;) good job Xinalite

There was a small issue with the launch of this system, specifically the encoding of the final output file is incorrect.  Will work with Xenalite first thing tomorrow to get it updated.  Until then, I have disabled the Randomizer and have restored the previous maplist.

One more day of "Muttrah Restarts" for you lot :hi:

4 hours ago, ranger_12 said:

kidding ;) good job Xinalite

Yeaah but keep in mind, never touch a working system

If that were true, we'd never innovate - very dark thinking, that.  Luckily, we'll have it patched in a matter of minutes when we get together tomorrow and all will be well.  He's the pro, and I like to play nice with others, so I don't want to insert my code into his script without running it by him first.  Bugs are bugs, patches kill them.

If there is someone to blame, it is microsoft once again - forcing UCS-2 LE BOM encoding on the Out-File cmdlets when the Refractor 2 engine that runs the game reads only non-BOM UTF-8 encoding.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

Cant wait for shahadah seeding map xD

I was thinking the same. ;)

We've fixed the encoding issue and it's back in action.  We can make revisions as needed moving forward, and of course, take any map that is reported to be broken and place it on the Exclusions list - just let us know!

1 hour ago, Xenalite said:

Does it bleed tickets?

Could be made so. 

The issue with ticket bleed is mainly on maps that have an double end flag. Because of this I can’t give the flag a ticket value of -99999. Because Shahadah got modded to have 1 final flag (original version had 2) it should be done. I shall update the map tonight to have this included. 

I am currently collecting all the ...... maps so I can fix them in one go.  But that’s outside this topic 

i suggest you keep shahada of the maplist (like it used to be) so it can’t randomly pop up. Same would be for outpost and soon muttrah alt

This is seem to be real, i didn't see this coming so soon.

Well done to the contributor (Xenalite), can't wait to see how it really works in-game.

- Inch

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 0100011000101 said:

can we ban him for this? ;P   i love muttrah...

@Risiko94: that was a joke ... I hope that xena did not understand that wrong. I think it's great job what he coded, just that means that we will play less muttrah.

For feedback.

It seems to be working well however I am starting to having huge doubts about it.

The main issue is that the blacklist is not fully written out. For example sbene INF is not a good starting map for randoms but does give you a great fight for 2 hours.

the other mayor issue I have (and it might not be fully related with it) is the huge instability in the server. The server seems to be crashing a lot more. I haven’t been able to get over 5 rounds without crashing. The crashes come while playing even stable maps. (A suggestion would be to random the list every full hour and half hour (12:00 12:30) so we can verify the server doesn’t crash if the tool does it is job) 

I shall try to generate a blacklist 

random the list every full hour and half hour

That is exactly what it is doing.

The main issue is that the blacklist is not fully written out.

Yes it is, unless I am misunderstanding you.  I posted it up above after you asked for it, but here it is again:

mapList.append muttrah_city_2 gpm_coop 128
mapList.append kashan_desert gpm_coop 128
mapList.append karbala gpm_coop 16

sbene INF is not a good starting map for randoms but does give you a great fight for 2 hours

So this is confirmed?  sbene is not suited for starter/seeder map?

These are the sbene maps on the startup list:

mapList.append sbeneh_outskirts gpm_coop 16
mapList.append sbeneh_outskirts gpm_coop 32

*If they should be removed, please advise.

the other mayor issue I have (and it might not be fully related with it) is the huge instability in the server. The server seems to be crashing a lot more. I haven’t been able to get over 5 rounds without crashing. The crashes come while playing even stable maps.

I doubt this is related to the randomizer, it doesn't work in any way that would cause instability.  I think more data would be required to examine why crashes would seem to be increased.  Usually it's Bots grabbing kits or other 'bot using weapon x' bugs which are known.  If it would help, we dig into this and see if we can find the source of those crashes, but I assume it's due to the game and not to a .ps1 that runs for less than 2 seconds at the top and half of every hour.

Can unblock these maps:

mapList.append muttrah_city_2 gpm_coop 128
mapList.append kashan_desert gpm_coop 128
mapList.append karbala gpm_coop 16

I only added them as an example.

We managed to do Sbeneh INF with 16 people online, though it took a while.

Khami INF and Pavlovsk INF can probably be taken out of starter maps though. One doesn't bleed, and the other is very difficult.

This is a first draft, so we will probably need to do some adjustments as we go along.

As to crashing - I think it's likely due to random maps, because we are now more likely to play maps that are perhaps less stable. Good to keep an eye out for suspected bad maps.

• Upvote 2

These are the entries we have for the maps you noted -- are the INF layers the 16's?  Wanted to verify before removing maps from the list willy-nilly:

mapList.append khamisiyah gpm_coop 16
mapList.append khamisiyah gpm_coop 32
mapList.append khamisiyah gpm_coop 64
mapList.append khamisiyah gpm_coop 128

mapList.append pavlovsk_bay gpm_coop 16
mapList.append pavlovsk_bay gpm_coop 32
mapList.append pavlovsk_bay gpm_coop 64

TO CLARIFY:  Should we remove Sbeneh maps?  If so, which ones (be specific please)?  *By remove, I mean put in standard rotation, and not starting/seeding rotations

Also I thought we purposefully added Muttrah 128 to the disabled list after a report of issues with it two weeks ago?  Busy packing for my trip, just taking a quick break otherwise I'd look into it further.