Jump to content

VETERANS-GAMING is celebrating 10 Years of COOP Gaming! For the last ten years, VG has been proud to host our servers and website for so many COOP gamers and teamwork focused players, and we are thrilled to be a home away from home for anyone looking for a casual place to hang out and play games with friends!  It's been a long road and many people have come and gone over the years, some even come back after awhile, happy to see their old stomping grounds still filled with the best COOP gamers and games, and with plenty of Bots ready to give a fight and to eat some virtual lead!  We hope you all will stay with us through the next ten years, and on!  Long live VETERANS-GAMING!!

=VG= Inch

Microsoft is ended Windows 7 support, should i go for Windows 10?

Recommended Posts

On 2020-01-16 at 6:57 PM, =VG= Inch said:

As we know, Microsoft is ending its support for Windows 7 few days ago, January 14th this year.

Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs with Windows 7. 

 

So, in my case, in laptop, i really wanna try to upgrade it, to see whats good with Win 10, because i had no clue whatsoever, on pros and cons. I heard back in the day, theres a lot of updates keep coming for some errors, which kinda annoying sometimes to see if those updates still frequent until now.

I mean, Win 10 is kinda promising, but unsure about its downsides. For any Win 10 users out there, do you guys have any ideas on whats good and bad of Win 10? Tbh, kinda new to this, and kinda curious about it-

 

If not recommended, any other solutions for this?

 

Here's my laptop specs.. (for installing Win 10, hopefully..)

specs1.JPG.dbd6f650c48523f8fbd8afe0017674c3.JPGspecs2.JPG.00b5d343020f439415ba18adf7b4f5a4.JPG

 

Have a nice day,

- Inch

 

PS: This is for the laptop only, since my PC is currently broken at this point, its likely not possible for me to upgrade the OS on PC to Win 10, because of the OS is likely cracked AFAIK, means not official from the Windows (I feel confident on getting the Win 10 for my laptop, just because its official from Windows)

Me pc broke down then it showed me a win 7 no more support from microsoft so i cant play pr no more 😭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, (LTU)ignaspetk said:

Me pc broke down then it showed me a win 7 no more support from microsoft so i cant play pr no more 😭

if you only use it for pr and nothing else you can continue to use win7. or upgrade to win10. just read this thread ... ^^

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, =VG= 0100011000101 said:

if you only use it for pr and nothing else you can continue to use win7. or upgrade to win10. just read this thread ... ^^

I will give try for win 10 but i'm not shure if it will runn it will be fantastic but the fing is me files and me familys files are gone for ever. Me school presentencio   is dead right now i men me whole ssd and other parts is damaged some how 

Had nice evening guys 

Rip win7 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.1.2020 at 10:12 PM, =VG= 0100011000101 said:

ALWAYS: make backups!

if the hardware is damaged you are right. but if you only killed your windows the files are still there... but in this case dont try anything by yourself and give your hdd/ssd to somebody who know what is to do...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, =VG= 0100011000101 said:

i once had the same problem with a usb3 controller. the included driver didn't work on win10 and the ports were dead.
in this case it was an asus card. I just tried all the drivers and one of the last ones worked ...

OK thats sounds like a plan so far all Dells divers have been dumped on install by win 10 but i will do the whole lot 

Dell intel and my card manufacturers maybe one will stick  : ) 

DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card 

Fixing up an old  MFP interceptor would be easier hahahh  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK its fixed i just used a cable for my sound system hahahha

Capturefefefef.JPG.9a91bc1a389a16e70bcbfc6a43baa4ab.JPG

Slowly over time i will get the bugger working 100%  so far it all works well and my old dell is performing  better than ever with win 10, soon  bluetooth wil be replaced with wifi anyway, for now i will just suck it up and use good old wire. 

images.jpg.914497577346eca8310b80937b7e02f6.jpg

I'm still going to run through all the divers as you suggested Binary, it might take a while but its the best option. 

Thanks for the input   : ) 

 download.jpg.a410e4de5bbb9e8edc7c6fa34265ab14.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, =VG= 0100011000101 said:

if the hardware is damaged you are right. but if you only killed your windows the files are still there... but in this case dont try anything by yourself and give your hdd/ssd to somebody who know what is to do...

I take pc to work shop mayby they will fix i mnot cumpiuterman 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows 95 FTW!

Image result for Windows 95 meme

Image result for Windows 95 meme

Because why make the hackers think you are going to update to a better operating system if you can go with an operating system they won't bother developing viruses and hacks for! Checkmate!

image.jpeg.73f5a936b2379b0932b3abd768584db0.jpeg

 

LOL

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, =VG= Sausag3 said:

Because why make the hackers think you are going to update to a better operating system if you can go with an operating system they won't bother developing viruses and hacks for! Checkmate!

this is actually not a joke ... ^^

it makes perfect sense to have an old unprotected computer in your network. preferably full of garbage.
every targeted attacker is so happy to found a way into your system and is busy. and you have a lot of time to watch him and do something about it.
until he realizes that he is in a sandbox, you have protected your "important" computers and in the best case you have notified your or his ISP.

I did exactly that with ftp servers. there are three ftp servers at work. the ftp server that uses the standard port (21) has 6GB of trailers that you can also get in the web and can be hacked. the other ftp servers have unusual ports. these have never been attacked. the server attached to 21 is constantly being bombarded.

12 hours ago, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

for now i will just suck it up and use good old wire. 

wires are always the best solution! I always use cables, especially for audio. no loss of connection, better quality, no perfomanceproblems and above all no additional AD/DA conversion.

but most of the people who uses "alexa" and co dont understand that...^^

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, =VG= 0100011000101 said:

I did exactly that with ftp servers. there are three ftp servers at work. the ftp server that uses the standard port (21) has 6GB of trailers that you can also get in the web and can be hacked. the other ftp servers have unusual ports. these have never been attacked. the server attached to 21 is constantly being bombarded.

Yea, but that's just a good reason to use a non-standard port, right?  We practice that at VG.  I don't think the dedi would get attacked "less" if there was another 'dummy' server on 5.9.23.136 with a standard FTP port, but I'll defer to the actual professionals here as always.

Fun fact, the VG Website gets attacked on average at least once per second, every hour of every day, and often more closer to one attack attempt every 0.5 seconds.  Apart from actual "hackers", there are literally legions of bots that constantly "test the fence" for any IP that's been on any sort of public list anywhere, including some that are not listed and just 'probed'....
clever girl thmb.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Yea, but that's just a good reason to use a non-standard port, right?  We practice that at VG.  I don't think the dedi would get attacked "less" if there was another 'dummy' server on 5.9.23.136 with a standard FTP port, but I'll defer to the actual professionals here as always.

Not really. Non-standard ports may filter out your background noise attacks, normal stuff you said happens every day. It does nothing for targeted attacks - these will easy find out every open TCP port on your IP. That's how I know how insecure your servers are. But the practice is not entirely stupid - these insecure servers are called honeypots and have logging enabled on them to catch would-be attackers, log their details, methods of attack to block them later on legit systems.

 

Going back to Win 7 / 10 stuff though - you are frequently better off having Windows Update enabled in the background and it just pulls an update when it thinks it needs one. Security patches for vulnerabilities are important things. Feature updates are more likely to break stuff, but that's why you might not want to get preview / latest features as soon as they come out. While Win 7 will be out of support, they won't just magically drop dead - it just means when new vulnerabilities are discovered on this system, they will no longer be patched by Microsoft. With Microsoft being very open about their development recently, you are more likely to be protected from latest vulnerabilities on Windows 10.

I always have a hard time understanding people's problems with Windows 10. It's almost like they'd break any system no matter what you give them. I bought a Win 10 Pro edition OEM for £25. I use default Windows Defender AV, enabled updates and don't browse the internet like a retard, and everything is fine for years now. I managed hundreds of VMs with various editions of Win 10 and Win Server 2016/19 and only 2 ever had issues post-update.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, see, that's what I was thinking ... that it wouldn't take a hacker (or bot) more than a second to scan for any/all open ports on a machine.....

Personally, FYSA my issues with Win10 would have to do with a few core operations, and that's all -- but at first, it was the interface change shock (is that a thing?.
So, persistent issue I get around (but would still share with you as a nag) are:

  1. Extremely slow file searches (especially for searching all installed or attached storage devices, as opposed to a more directed search)
     
  2. Along the same lines, searching for file / file contents from start menu text entry box when the file exists off C:/ (using multiple storage devices and/or attached storage)
     
  3. Default windows and windows title bar color are the same - a personal gripe - making it difficult to know which window is the active window - and so I just do it myself when personalizing (not sure if this is still default when installing Win10, admittedly I've not had to reinstall Win10 since the first time, so I'll defer to those who know more)
     
  4. Still have not successfully turned off one feature (without also disabling other desired features) regarding "shaking mouse" to minimize all or most windows. Any tips greatly welcome!!!
     
  5. Windows Snapping not very intuitive for Multiple Monitor Users, should be a simple detected option or manual option in Settings / Display for example, for an improved snapping respective of attached displays, their orientation, and resolution
     
  6. It's 2020 now, and all 5 people who EVER used Sticky Keys in the history of Windows could very well go into options and Enable it, leaving it completely disabled by default on first install for the rest of humanity.
     
  7. Cannot access 'Manage Audio Devices' from Start Menu text entry anymore, must type (or start to type) 'Control Panel' then click on 'Hardware and Sound', then click on any of the three options 'Sound', 'Manage audio devices', or even 'Change system sounds' which opens the same dialog but to the Sounds tab, of course. 



I realize Win10 is trying to get Home users to direct their attention to the new GUI and I suppose what they feel is less "tech-y" looking options screen - but if I want to still access my nerd pad version, I should just be able to type (or start to type) 'Manage Audio Devices' after slamming the Windows key on my keyboard.  And I understand the look and feel is fully up to user preference, and for true comparison we should just discuss operations, but that list is longer than my appearance gripes.

Maybe after sharing this, you'll share a bunch of ways I've not found to better get around these issues, but I've basically had to do much more work for Win10 to get it how I like than Win7 and I don't say that to mean Win10 is "bad" just ... in some ways, different for no apparent reason to the end user, especially when legacy modules of the same thing persist just less readily/easily accessible.


Finally, as you are a professional @Xenalite, I gotta ask - do you do calculations in windows, or maybe only in other software you use? Because the Win10 calculator sucks HOT ASS!  And I can't imagine such a simple utility (which pretty much drove the first microchip industry in handheld calculators) would be anything but less useful to a professional (if they used it in Win7 vs Win10) when the former layout allowed things like a programming calculator display with a unit conversion area on the right, on one screen, one display, for example.  I totally like the dark background and light text of the WIn10 Calc App, but for utility and just "fewer clickthroughs for results", I am happy I was able to find a Win7 'old calculator' program so I can do my thing like I used to, whatever that is.
:drinks: Thanks for your time, man! don't wanna make you work when it's time to chill - your help with PS was much appreciated- cheers!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 4:07 AM, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

win 10 now only uses Bills divers, that don't work lol.

Ha ha they real do hate that RT chip, its the wireless/Bluetooth daughter board.... normally its a breakout on the undercarrige of a laptop that can be swithched out with an intel/broadcom or other quite easily  to circumvent this issue.

A site i very like has a nice commentary:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-may-2019-update-blocked-by-old-bluetooth-drivers/

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 10:56 PM, (LTU)ignaspetk said:

I take pc to a shop mayby they will fix i mnot cumpiuterman 

 

PC shop hahahahah i fix all my own Sh$*&T........... always, if you use it ya better know how it works.  

 

On 23/01/2020 at 12:48 PM, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Yea, but that's just a good reason to use a non-standard port, right? 

Dann right change all the ports that apps use, to funky new ones or your open, wide open, and being part of a bot net will slow you down to the same speed as a  80s zx spectrum 48k rubber key calculator. 

download.jpg.d011aea81d97fece7c4a5d345da96bc0.jpg

On 23/01/2020 at 2:03 PM, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

I realize Win10 is trying to get Home users to direct their attention to the new GUI

 

 The New GUI is rubbish there just merging all phones tablets and pcs in to one kiddo friendly toy, the trouble is, no matter how simple you make things the universe keeps making more idiots to keep the balance. 

Soon were all going to end up using a version of x box,,,,  Nasa, banks, NSA, CIA, MI5/6 and us gamer's lol ATX cases, overclocking and just making your own stuff from bits will be history.   

 

On 23/01/2020 at 2:45 PM, =VG= ciro said:

Ha ha they real do hate that RT chip, its the wireless/Bluetooth daughter board.... normally its a breakout on the undercarrige of a laptop that can be swithched out with an intel/broadcom or other quite easily  to circumvent this issue.

A site i very like has a nice commentary:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-may-2019-update-blocked-by-old-bluetooth-drivers/

   HOOO Thanks mate so the RT wireless/Bluetooth Chip, is being humped, by Bill Gates don't think the IEEE will be happy about that at all lol 

"Replacing old board, with a intel/broadcom or other quite easily  to circumvent this issue". Nice the next dead lap top i see i will cannibalize  : ) 

Thanks for the link : ) : ) 

FED EX are on the way  : ) with a coconut and seashell bikini hope it fits  : ) 

 

heavy_box_packing_services_706484935.jpg.0e4a1527536c91b1a1d5f4f7f1f93f98.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the thread becoming more intense and funny with those memes now :P only few things that actually are good to read, especially for me

 

Btw, it seems i missing my main installer files + DATA for PR, so i guess i'll try redownloading it later on with new PR:BF2 download assistant (which i never use before lol)

 

Backup still on progress!

(I lost few things, and anime that i saved on storage is one of them :()

 

- Inch

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, =VG= Inch said:

(I lost few things, and anime that i saved on storage is one of them :()

: ( 

Here is a replacement, anime thanks for starting the thread It solved my WIN 10  BT probs,

Thanks to all the contributors ya saved me a few hours of life force. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-may-2019-update-blocked-by-old-bluetooth-drivers/

Personally i ME ME ME prefer spear fishing for sharks   : ) ) it's really intense : )) and a good source of protein.

 

 Kenshiro is ok to wind down with : ) before breakfast : ) 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 11:57 PM, =VG= Inch said:

As we know, Microsoft is ending its support for Windows 7 few days ago, January 14th this year.

Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs with Windows 7. 

 

So, in my case, in laptop, i really wanna try to upgrade it, to see whats good with Win 10, because i had no clue whatsoever, on pros and cons. I heard back in the day, theres a lot of updates keep coming for some errors, which kinda annoying sometimes to see if those updates still frequent until now.

I mean, Win 10 is kinda promising, but unsure about its downsides. For any Win 10 users out there, do you guys have any ideas on whats good and bad of Win 10? Tbh, kinda new to this, and kinda curious about it-

 

If not recommended, any other solutions for this?

 

Here's my laptop specs.. (for installing Win 10, hopefully..)

specs1.JPG.dbd6f650c48523f8fbd8afe0017674c3.JPGspecs2.JPG.00b5d343020f439415ba18adf7b4f5a4.JPG

 

Have a nice day,

- Inch

 

PS: This is for the laptop only, since my PC is currently broken at this point, its likely not possible for me to upgrade the OS on PC to Win 10, because of the OS is likely cracked AFAIK, means not official from the Windows (I feel confident on getting the Win 10 for my laptop, just because its official from Windows)

Well your spec is ok for win 10 but I highly recommend you upgrade your ram and put an SSD in it. Having dual channel ram will help alot too. Win 10 is... Well let's just say that can be tune better. You can disable lots of services you don't need to make it smoother. Also what is your laptop and also make sure you run Win10 64bit if you want a ram upgrade

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 7:55 PM, Aori said:

Well your spec is ok for win 10 but I highly recommend you upgrade your ram and put an SSD in it. Having dual channel ram will help alot too. Win 10 is... Well let's just say that can be tune better. You can disable lots of services you don't need to make it smoother. Also what is your laptop and also make sure you run Win10 64bit if you want a ram upgrade

It's Lenovo G400S as it shown on pic, idk about going 64-bit on WIn 10, since the current Win 7 i have atm is 32-bit afaik

Not sure if getting 64-bit would be better for it, even after upgrading the RAM (might still not stable, no clue.. since i never tried using a PC or Laptop with 64-bit architecture)

 

Maybe i'll try do one on Virtual Machine, might be work- (also probably try the Linux on Virtual Machine i guess, since my Laptop is likely old)

 

PS: My PC is likely fixed for now, so this issue can wait for the time being, low prior in my list of tasks. At least i can return and play some PR with few of you guys- see ya in battlefield ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, =VG= Inch said:

It's Lenovo G400S as it shown on pic, idk about going 64-bit on WIn 10, since the current Win 7 i have atm is 32-bit afaik

Not sure if getting 64-bit would be better for it, even after upgrading the RAM (might still not stable, no clue.. since i never tried using a PC or Laptop with 64-bit architecture)

 

Maybe i'll try do one on Virtual Machine, might be work- (also probably try the Linux on Virtual Machine i guess, since my Laptop is likely old)

 

PS: My PC is likely fixed for now, so this issue can wait for the time being, low prior in my list of tasks. At least i can return and play some PR with few of you guys- see ya in battlefield ;)

 

 

Well 64bit Win10 is not "unstable" or smt unless you run special app that need to be 32bit it run and if soo 64bit can run most of normal everyday use 32bit app just finee. Honestly for normal causal user everything work just fine. Your laptop is old but doesn't mean it bad or anything, it actually quite good compare to Big_Papa 's "everyfastgaminglaptop" and it also run Win10 64. Beside you can just download win 10 on Microsoft website and try it for free. I like Linux too especially kubutu, lubuntu is also an light os but I recommend you try win 10 cause it faster than all the laptop I ever own or even use. So yeah your laptop has and gt720m right? Also you might can upgrade your cpu too but it didn't necessarily at all. You just need lilbit more ram, an SSD and everything will be quite snappy

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×