Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

VG Elite server

=VG= GRNANDGLD

Ok so here is my thought for a possible second server (only cause im tired of steamrolling maps with 40 guys).  Its called the VG Elite Server.   A sever for the veteran players on Veterans Gaming...How cool is that!!  I could see a server that maybe had a smaller group size of elite forces vs the current bots. 

Lets say maybe 12 -14-16 slots limit. 

Infantry layers only (small maps mean less crashing)... with unrespawning assets (1 logi ,1 or 2 hmmv's) no CAS or Trans. Or maybe no assets at all..only respawns.

A place reserved for a more challenging game...those of us not afraid to grab a group of troops and attack with communication and speed....ballz out Blitzkrieg shit with men on foot.

Mic Required

Can the size of the squad maybe limited to 5 possibly (3 squads of 5?)

Bottom line..I want harder..("thats what she said"..luv ya Vince)....

what ya think guys..

not sure if it cost more money on the back end...im assuming its free for the server...thats probably stupid on my part.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I hate to be the one to pour water on your well thought out idea, but... It has come up in one form or another in the past, and for the same good reasons, we choose to keep it at one VG PR Public server (the one that is going on now).  And, no, it's not an issue of cost - you are correct in assuming that.

Points that have come up in the past include leaving the "normal server" without good players to hold up the bad; also the better players are there to teach and set examples by actions, and to monitor good gameplay and encourage acceptable in-game behavior.

Splitting the player base in any way can be treacherous waters.  They NEED players like you there, and the others, too.  Imagine the chaos and disorder if 16 of the most well traveled players were elsewhere?  Sad, but true.  We gotta keep it fresh enough to stay interesting, and I know Double is working on different ideas for COOP, but IMO as it sits, it still feels like a bad idea to split it at this time.

• Upvote 4

Its a great idea but semler summed it up pretty good why it couldnt work, but over the past couples days ive really gotten into a coop modded server on insurgency its exactly as what you described GRN just a more moddern shooter. The bots there are set to like brutal and even worse then what we have at pr with the insta headshots lol, you can check it out the groups name is WE THE THREE, and id love the company of pr friends. 

• Like 1

Semler is correct in the way we shouldn’t split the server.

BUT

GRNANDGLD is also correct that the maps are quite boring. 

The best rounds I played where the rounds just after an update came out and the server was unjoinable for people who just updated. 

While I can make every map as hard as Shahadah or even worse outpost, I won’t because not everybody wants 5 tow rockets spinning at them. With the new events coming up and with me going to create/patch more maps I might be able to create your elite server on 1 day a week. 

I was already thinking of Salty Sunday where we test new maps and play with extreme unbalance (70 bots 20 humans) on the INS test server (my VG testing server).

I do not think this will fracture the coop. If the elite server is only ran on 1/2 days a week it forces the people to play the other 5/6 days on the regular VG server. Other People will talk about it and might be interessted in joining the next Saltysunday. This makes the new people becoming more active within the community (because they might need to download maps and obtain the password) this will motivate them to talk more with the regulars and so they themself can become regular.

PR is currently just like COD. People join, they they pew pew pew and they leave. But if we motivate them in joining these special events they will be more active And become better players.

i highly want to request that either the player slots on the VG server are reduced to 30 or the bot numbers cranked up to 60.

to explain the reason why. When you kill a bot it takes around 2 min for it to respawn while a human can do it in like 1 min. Another problem is that bots stack up in assets quite fast. A BMP3 carries 8 bots meaning if you kill 2 of them you have killed almost half of the bot team. 

As for stability it should not cause any problem. Danesh server used to run 70 bots and with 20 people it rarely crashed. I think it is worth a test. 

9 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:
9 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

i highly want to request that either the player slots on the VG server are reduced to 30 or the bot numbers cranked up to 60.

to explain the reason why. When you kill a bot it takes around 2 min for it to respawn while a human can do it in like 1 min. Another problem is that bots stack up in assets quite fast. A BMP3 carries 8 bots meaning if you kill 2 of them you have killed almost half of the bot team. 

As for stability it should not cause any problem. Danesh server used to run 70 bots and with 20 people it rarely crashed. I think it is worth a test. 

Send more Bots, may favorite words. thats what im talking about YEAH! i AGREE WITH THIS.

• Upvote 1

Yes Yes Yes....Well put Double....I love me some SALT...Salty Sunday is hilarious and I would join it.  PR events on Saturday...alternate to Salty Sunday the next.

Without growth you become stagnant and die!  

People will join for the challenge and its FRESH!!

If VG wants more moderators.... all its needs to do is ask!!  You have MOD candidates everywhere....myself included.

9 hours ago, CptHawk said:

The server population already has issues hitting 40 on most normal days, if the population would be split between two servers, it would end up with two low pop servers and people already shy away from the server when it has a low population.

Wouldnt 2 half glasses be the same as one empty and one full..if anything it would be an overflow at busy points...What are your options when the VG server gets full???  See ya at the cannned catfood server?  YUMMY

40 people in a server=no challenge on any level (usually ending in 9 squads of varying size but lacking in C+C on a mission level)...unless we had 80 bots..FACE IT ....WE R JUST TOO DAMN GOOD!!

Im not lobbying for another server guys, (maybe I am), just putting the idea in play...lets tweak it

11 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

I was already thinking of Salty Sunday where we test new maps and play with extreme unbalance (70 bots 20 humans) on the INS test server (my VG testing server) or on my private server (DoubleHQ).

Running a hardcore event would be a fine alternative, and making it regular on Sundays would be appreciated by the players, I'm sure.  So long as you don't change too much, it may even be able to run without a password,  We'll flesh out the details as we move forward.

Increasing the bots on the standard COOP would sound like a better option than reducing the number of player slots, so long as it doesn't mess with the design as it sits and ruin the flow.  Probably the best idea I've heard so far.

I will say, though, that the design of PR is so good, even in COOP, that we have been able to run a highly successful COOP server with very few changes for eight years, and have maintained a high population throughout.  New ideas certainly keep it fresh, but remember the wise words of the wily magician:

Don't run when no one is chasing you!

to allow more bots (above 48)
\mods\pr\ai\aidefault.ai
aiSettings.setMaxNBots 48 to like 60 (do this on both lines)

Only then the serversettings.con could go above 48
sv.coopBotCount 60
Modifications of these files are allowed as they are mentioned in it themselfs

48 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Don't run when no one is chasing you!

But what if you are following someone? xD

Lets just crawl...I like the idea of Super Salty Sunday...You all do so much to keep it interesting with the events..Special shout out to Double...Thanks brother!!

Maybe if we throw this idea against the wall it will stick...then we wont have to run.... Kinda like a server honeypot, but SALTY