Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Microphone Upgrade

=VG= STARK

Hi Guys,

Need some advice choosing a new usb Mic (XLR is overkill atm) .

Here are some that interest me.

1.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-Professional-Condenser-Microphone-Instruments/dp/B01GJ9IUNY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533831711&sr=8-2&keywords=marantz%2Bpro%2Busb%2Bmic&th=1       £79.00

2.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0006H92QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1533833049&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio-Technica+AT2020+Condenser+Mic    £83.00

I trust these two manufacturers  . The Audio Technica is looking good so far.

what do you guys think. Im open to suggestions  and may be able to go up to  £120.00 if  pushed , for the next model up.

• Upvote 3

I do not want to start a discussion on basic principles here, but with condensatormicrophones in this price class I find it absurd to take a usb-micro.

So this type of micros gives you detail image and character in a recording and that is then killed by usb.

like xenalight said:

I would either take a cheaper allroundmicro for usb if you olny want it for games

if you're a vlogger or want to make vocals / recordings then you should take a XLR Condesatormicrofon and necessarily an audio interface or better a preamp.

There is nothing to say against both companies. i would prefer audio-technica because they are at home in the microfonsector, marantz i know mainly at mixers and other audio equipment. but both have a good names.

With Micros is just like loudspeakers / headphones. you have to listen, not read. Everyone has a different taste and different ideas.

• Upvote 3

Serious overkill.  Get an AE hookup for your guitar, it's what I did.  You're trying to find a mic that will do too much, and like they said above, if it goes into USB, all that goodness is lost.  A pro would get a wired mic, and that would then go into a microphone amplifier, before going into the mixer (or the PC, and hopefully there, a digital mixer like VoiceMeeter Pro)

You might consider getting a good headset mic for gaming, and a separate microphone for recording, if you can afford it.  Going as high as 170 pounds, I bet you could fit both into that budget.

I love the Logitech G35, but also had a friend tell me just how to handle it so it didn't break in the first year (oniblood) cuz the ear swivels are easy to snap off.  Has 7.1 surround sound, makes it sound like the speakers are a few meters from my actual ears, it's eerie (pun intended).
;) 

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind you'll have to buy a compatible adjustable stand ( if it doesn't come with one already, and don't rely on those mini tripods ) as well as a pop filter/windscreen.

If you're going to be occasionally recording vocals/instruments then you should go for a condenser mic + mixer/amplifier setup.

( Links is what I use, not the best but comfortable recording pretty much anything )

Also with high quality microphones you'll need a high quality headset if you're going to edit and listen back to the recordings.

Still, I use that for recording work clips/demos/ads at the office, if most of the time you're using it for gaming invest in a good over-ear headset+mic!

• Upvote 3