Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Arma Session Signup - 12/05/12

=VG= Calv

Saturday, start time 19:00 GMT (14:00 CDT)

Server password is: acre

Ok guys, same as last week, post in the thread if you're going to be attending this week's session.
Also, please indicate in your post if you would like to be either the Squad Leader or a Fire Team Leader.

We will be using ACRE at this session so everyone will have to get sixupdater setup, and have ACRE downloaded and ready to go before the start time.
I will make myself available on teamspeak a couple hours before the start to help with any last minute issues but there is more than enough time to get things setup before then so anyone turning up without ACRE running will not be able to join in.

WIP instructional document on installing and configuring Six-Updater:
http://www.veterans-gaming.com/vg-plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?24065

Quick step by step instruction for anyone who needs it:

1st method:
1) Download and install sixupdater: http://www.six-updater.net/p/download.html
2) Once SU is setup, look to the left side of the window for the Dynamic preset, click this and it should go bold.
3) Click on the Mods tab, then find @ACRE in the list.
4) Right click @ACRE and select Add to Preset. Under the Dynamic heading you should now see ACRE, upto 3 version of CBA and JayArmalib.
5) Top left of screen click the arrow under the Green Icon, select Install and Update mods.
6) After it has downloaded and installed the mods you should get a pop-up window asking to add a .dll to your teamspeak directory, accept this.
7) Launch teamspeak, goto Settings> Plugins and make sure the ACRE plugin is ticked.
8) You're good to go, in six updater click the arrow under the green icon and select Launch game to start it up.
9) Ingame you will need to change your ingame VON key to something other than Caps Lock, as that is used by ACRE.

2nd Method:

1) after installing SU find the Veterans-Gaming Community Events server in the browser
2) right-click on the server and select New Preset with Server - this will add a new preset on the left-hand side with the server name
3) Under actions select Install, Update mods, process bikeys and join the server.

SU will download and install what you need to play on the server automatically.

Relevant ACRE keys:
Caps Lock: Transmit on selected radio
Teamspeak Push-to-talk button: Direct speak, basically just talking so anyone stood nearby will hear.
Ctrl-Shift-A: Cycle between radios (Only relevant to FTLs at this point)
Ctrl-Shift-X: Display radio - used for changing radio channel/power.

I will cover basic radio usage in a training area before we start, but just to cover a few details.
For the mission we will be using 343s and 148s.
The 343 is a short-range radio used for communication within your team. Has a useful range of about 5-600m. This is what most of you will be using with each fireteam on a different channel. Will explain how to change channel in-game.
The 148 is a medium-range radio generally used for communication between FTLs and SL. At full power I believe it can used upto around 2-3000m depending on terrain, hills and such will reduce this. Will demonstrate how to increase the power in-game.

Roster:
Calv
lupago
castor
charry
airborne (maybe)
savage
dman
sam
terremer
semler
ingo
murder
pirate
eclipse

Squad Slots:

Squad Leader: Calv
Squad Corpsman: savage

FT1
1-1 Team Leader: Castor
Sam - MG
charry
ingo

FT2
2-1 Team Leader: Dman
Pirate
eclipse
murder

FT3
3-1 Team Leader: Semler
lupago
terremer

FT4
4-1 Team Leader:

Mission Briefing:
Situation:
Our initial force recon team were able to disable the AA capabilities around the airfield to allow us to land marines and secure the area with air support assistance. Today our marine squad will be clearing the towns of Chernogorsk and Electrozavadosk clearing any AA in the area while Talon keeps the enemy off balance by securing the island artillery camp and barracks at Tulga. These combined operations will provide us with fire support for our assault on the general's stronghold and clear a corridor for air support.

Mission:
Talon is tasked with securing two key locations. The first target should be the artillery camp located on the small island just off the coast, this will allow an assault on the barracks at Tulga. When both areas are secure all units are to move to the RV point NE of Tulga.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AirborneAlways
Side note:

Will have to edit "ace_clientside_config.hpp" so that things will work properly.

Steam users:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\userconfig\ace

Retail:
no longer have a retail copy installed so don't remember where it would be located. If someone could point them in the right direction.

Same day of the week and time??

AirborneAlways LAN_WROTE ...

Side note:

Will have to edit "ace_clientside_config.hpp" so that things will work properly.

Steam users:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\userconfig\ace

Retail:
no longer have a retail copy installed so don't remember where it would be located. If someone could point them in the right direction.

Same day of the week and time??

Yeah same day/time, added to first post.

Just going with ACRE this week, no ACE yet.

Have also added the team roles in first post so people can feel free to state their preference, no guarantees though.

I'm in I'll fiddle with getting ACRE on the server Thursday or Friday.

--- Dedicated Server Installation ---
A server side addon is also needed to run ACRE. This is due to the need to synchronize dropped radio's appropriately. However, the server ONLY required the @ACRE mod folder. It does *NOT* require JayArma2Lib. It is server compatible, but it is not required.

You can do it manually, main thing is just having ACRE installed and working.
You can grab ACRE http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11339 and follow the install instructions, making sure to manually copy the teamspeak .dll into the teamspeak folder etc.
You'll need to download the requirements files too, jayarmalib and cba.

Other option is to use Armarize: http://www.armarize.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=55 Haven't tried it myself but serves a similar function to sixupdater so should be easy enough to figure out.

Guest AirborneAlways
Sorry I didn't make my post clear. I wasn't actually signing up for this OP as I don't know if I will make it in time. I had misread and thought ACE was being included.

While i hope to make it back home in time. I am going to visit one of my dad's friends (They have been friends for about 40 years and I am 39 years old) who has decided to pass on doing Chemo. This is one of those deals.. This is what son's do for old friends of their fathers.

So please put me down as a "maybe"

Check your Arma\Userconfig folder there should be an ACE folder in there with that file. If not I think you can re-download it or someone could PM it to you. This file holds all the customization settings and keys (for ACE not ACRE)

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

A question, will we have any CAS support?

Not for the moment, want to get the basics ironed out as infantry, everyone upto speed on ACRE etc before complicating things with air support.

It's possible that we will have access to a Harrier for the final assault on the general's compound.

In future campaigns if air support is included it is more likely to be in the form of aircraft rather than choppers purely because a single Apache can severely unbalance a mission meaning that you either have to stack the odds so much against the infantry teams that the Apache is required to complete the mission (then when the apache gets shot down everyone is screwed) or the Apache just wipes the floor with the entire enemy presence while the infantry just watch.

Whereas aircraft like the A-10, harrier etc require some co-ordination from ground troops keeping everyone involved in the mission.