Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

It's that time of year in the Pacific Northwest!

=VG= SemlerPDX

Actually, it's a little pre-season, but Cousin John is heading up camping for the summer. He's a tough old mountain lion, and used to be a camp host for Thousand Trails many a summer. Now, retired, he likes to spend the entire season up in the same valleys with his dog, Roxie.

I run him up blocks of ice and any supplies he asks for every 5 days. That starts today, and the weather is just beautiful for setting up! Here's hoping we find enough dry wood to build a fire. Always easier to burn wet wood on a hot fire.

Here's a few pictures of what it looks like this time of year:

And here's the river, high and fast:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back, and beat. Lotta running around, setting up. Then, I thought I'd hike around to some familiar spots. I didn't expect to do that, just staying over night, and wanting to waterproof my boots, I did not bring them.

Not easy on the body hiking off-path in Vans.

The most exciting part of the trip was the wind storm mid-day that felled a tree about 50 yards from the camp. Crap was falling everywhere, and all of a sudden, I hear a huge snap and see this giant, 6ft-round tree fall along the back path leading upstream.

It hit the ground with a thump I could feel in my feet, bounced into 3 pieces and hit the ground again. It settled right over "Tom Thumb's Cabin"; a small, moss-covered hole that looks like a hobbit house or something with a baby tree growing out of it's roof. It was spared from being crushed by the 80ft long, rotten tree falling.

I had no battery left in my camera at that time, but I will photo it next trip.

Downstream:

Upstream:

Fire-bellied Salamandar:

Looks like fun..reminds me of our 3 day canoe trip last year where we camped each night by the river. Included a 2km portage over rough terrain and lots of rapids on the water....we only flipped the canoe once!

Never seen one of those TentCots before..they look cramped but dry :)

• 4 months later...
At last the summer comes to a close. There are wildfires less than 12 miles from where my tent has remained set up since May 10th. The road to Bagby Hot Springs is closed off, with a cop stationed at the baracade. I'm going up now to take it down, along with John and all his gear. Back later today.

We'd be leaving this time of year anyway, and the fire is already under control. It was a hell of a season, and I'll get pictures up on my blog asap. Sadly, no shots of the elusive Big Foot. Or the elusive "bigfoot salamander" I hunt each summer, although I heard credible accounts of another giant salamander (3 ft.+) on the other bank, down river.

Next year in the forest...........