Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Missions

dman248

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we usually get +10 players on arma but if we advertise a bit we could easily get +20.

personally I think m113 patrol is a good idea because we have no experience on it and its not that hightech so we get a bit more difficulty on it. I'd wish to see more OPFOR and UN missions and possibly German Armor missions, I've actually never played any UN missions, Defend, Ambush and missions where you gotta find something before its too late. Search and rescue missions are cool too!

complaining from here on forward so cover your eyes kids if you don't want to see.

It's a shame most of us aren't interested in toning their skills of teamplay, leadership, and their combat effectiveness, I'd really want to see us doing Events with other community's later on.

for example I've heard the sentence ''we don't need a leader because we are experienced ARMA players''.

1st of all we aren't, I've seen SO much better people out there that you wouldn't imagine, the ability to use some equipment doesn't make you an experienced player, the ability to use it together with a buttload of other assets like infantry and armor does. I mean C'mon we aren't even good at being Infantry! which is the most basic thing!

2nd of all a group is ALWAYS better with a leader, even with a bad one because for a multitude of reasons, like the fact that if there is no leader its basicly a democracy: everyone has their vote. ''well I guess we just sit down and vote here!'' <-- not literally but you get the fact that every decision takes longer. also no one is there to tell others to cease fire, take a formation, crouch, lay down etc.

but this all is only for anyone interested in serious fun, not just ''hey lets fly there and blow up some shit!''

Note here that I'm not thinking that I'm better than you, in fact I'm worse than most of you but I'm willing to learn.

TL;DR: frustration because people are not playing for serious fun.

I'd like to point out here - I have had no problems leading a team like a democracy... Just for the fact that a lot of the lads are very experienced around here and when your desiding what to do next other people have seen diferent situations and have a multitude of idea's that could be used quickly and effectivly... if under fire. I personally find its better to have everyone shouting out the directions and leading an assault on a position than one person who has half arsed facts on it...

Im not sure what you mean by we are not experienced INF. For the most part we have been doing it for 2 years, and if you were in a squad with the lads that have done it for that long you would see the experience shine very bright...

Using armor and INF together dosent make you great at anything.. It just in a sence means you want to use other options to get the job done rather than brawling through with INF. Its not a statement to leadership or how good someone is - I Can tell you i see using inf to take on 50 guys would impress me more than using INF to kill 5 and a tank to blast everything else away.

I Find your statement about the Leader is kind of true, but voting can be better. In a combat sitaution a leader to call cover - Fire, throw frags - Drop smoke... That is a good call. But having a group that desides where to go next is a good idea in my opinion, thats how i lead my teams...

Now about the missions - I think 10-15 is our regular amount, maybe another quick whip up of the mision with an extra fire team incase we get more is a good idea...
Also maybe an op-for mision or two could be quite a fun consept...

And castor i also agree on doing events with other communities... Me and calv have discussed the consept of doing it with LAMBS some time.

Gaz the thing is that when you have no leader for, lets say a group of 6, 1 of them usually takes WAY too much gear and will slow the team, 1 dude is the one who runs and guns and dies all the time and the rest of the guys are having a hard time deciding what to do when they're under heavy fire, which brings more casualties.

But to be honest I play like I'm on an event all the time, trying to everything organized and properly and with a level of professionalism.

In my mind the more you are able to cooperate with other assets the better, it doesn't matter how many we have against us and how many do we have. all that matters is that they die and we live, the less we lose the better.
of course this might take the fun part from the infantry but then you can just limit the assets before hand.

OH but now Im using this thread wrong :) sorry!

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

It's a shame most of us aren't interested in toning their skills of teamplay, leadership, and their combat effectiveness, I'd really want to see us doing Events with other community's later on.

for example I've heard the sentence ''we don't need a leader because we are experienced ARMA players''.

1st of all we aren't, I've seen SO much better people out there that you wouldn't imagine, the ability to use some equipment doesn't make you an experienced player, the ability to use it together with a buttload of other assets like infantry and armor does. I mean C'mon we aren't even good at being Infantry! which is the most basic thing!

2nd of all a group is ALWAYS better with a leader, even with a bad one because for a multitude of reasons, like the fact that if there is no leader its basicly a democracy: everyone has their vote. ''well I guess we just sit down and vote here!'' <-- not literally but you get the fact that every decision takes longer. also no one is there to tell others to cease fire, take a formation, crouch, lay down etc.

but this all is only for anyone interested in serious fun, not just ''hey lets fly there and blow up some shit!''

Note here that I'm not thinking that I'm better than you, in fact I'm worse than most of you but I'm willing to learn.

TL;DR: frustration because people are not playing for serious fun.

Sorry, but neither knowing how to use equipment OR knowing how to practice combined arms makes you an "experienced player". Experience is being able to read a situation and react accordingly, being able to think quickly and make decisions rather than blindly charging into areas or getting people killed as you stand around deciding.
Applying knowledge with a "buttload of other assets" is neither here nor there, if people can't work together as infantry then there is no point throwing additional assets into the mix. Not to mention that co-ordination between infantry and other assets is usually pretty minimal, as both parties need to focus on their own tasks, and its down to the overall commander to direct each party, not the units themselves.

I'd disagree, nothing gets people killed quicker than a bad leader. Someone needs to be in charge to make overall decisions, but it is not necessary to have someone constantly yelling and barking orders at everyone and basically micromanaging the entire team because that just leads to confusion, clogged comms and basically lowers everyone's ability to maintain a clear overview of the situation.
The best leaders rarely need to speak or give orders because they have trained the guys they're leading and trust them to adapt to the situation and adjust themselves without needing to have their hands held.

i Dont think you see it like we do, When we leave on domi. Like me, sparky and random usually go after side misions together. There is always a subconcious leader. Usually me or Random but we always clarify who it is. We just never really have to give out orders because we trust each other in knowing exactly what needs to be done.

that is true, you guys play it like you know it already. which is way too repetitive for me, like you know there is going to be aprox. 1 brdm, 1 bmp and 1 t72 + 2 squads of infantry. you know how they set around the objective and you do almost every side mission in about the same pattern.

while I try not to think about it and do it outside the box, unfortunately no one wants to do it this way and want to carry silly weapons that we wont be using in proper Events, everything I do in ARMA is to make myself better at missions, trying to evolve and get better all the time, silly me I know :)

but I guess we can put the blame on DOMI for this.

EDIT: anyways we should remove all these comments and give some suggestions, I dont think Dman meant this kind of conversation.

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

EDIT: anyways we should remove all these comments and give some suggestions, I dont think Dman meant this kind of conversation.

Good point - I have assembled all these great discussions to another thread, please keep up the input and discussion there:
LINK: Open Discussion - Teamplay, Leadership, Mission Variety, and COOP Gameplay in Arma 2

ON THIS TOPIC:

@dman - do it! I love them old school M113's and barely get to use them cuz we always rock the Stryker's or Bradley's as mech-infrantry. I'll make it to every one you make, schedule permitting!! If you need any access to the dedi, say for a test server to test things as they would be in multi-player, I can hook you up. We have like 2 dev test servers that stay off most times for just that purpose.

!2cool

Well, you need to balance out armour with armour. If we are using m113 which I love because gunner is exposed and needs his inf to really cause any type of damage. With a bradly you need to add the same amount of Opfor armour to make it have threats.

This mission may be rough for the people who love optics. As you only get iron sights for grunts, and CCO for Sq/fire team leaders. You will see soon.

About german missions, I can make some good ones. Its just that they dont have anything special. If you want Germans add these.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7956
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10627
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16606

I can also help with your briefing, notes, etc... I'll try and hop in next time I see you on TS we should discuss.

Also briefing.html is used for de-briefing at mission end (at least in the F2 framework)... which reminds me I really need to get a std mission template together it will make stuff like briefing, tasks, etc much easier.