Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

[poll] Arma 2 Event - Saturday April 21st

=VG= SavageCDN

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i remember the first date that got posted. i reckoned it to be 0900 GMT+1 (norway, germany, swiss, southafrica). (military 24hour system so the am/pm bullshiRt doesnt confuse between US and other countries.)
i thought wow, thats early in the morning for playing on a saturday. then, i read it got delayed by one hour, thus being 1000 GMT+1 and i was happy to have one hour more sleep.
now i find it all changed again... and also my brother informed me, that the ADDON Operation Arrowhead and some mods will be required to play.
I'm disappointed, as of a few things:
- I thought it was clearly spoken by many, we should play vanilla arma/arma2 and see how many come to join. now I cant be there, because i dont have OA and the mods you built the missions with.
- the time/date got changed in the last minute. you cant expect people to check this page every day and i guess many who werent on here after 2000 yesterday are disappointed today, as they did get up early to play and now they find out, you delayed it so its late in the evening now (GMT+1).

so, now the time should be 3pmEDT which is 8pmGMT+1 the event shall last 4 hours and i'm either forced to walk into the city to the games-shop and buy OA though i dont have even the money to buy cigarettes, or i can sit in teamspeak and listen to you playing arma.
thanks.

Pirate, sorry for any confusion.

3pm Eastern Daylight Time. That is 8 or 9pm in Germany.

The time was changed earlier this week from 2pm to 3pm. One hour later... that's it. Not sure where you got the other time from.

We are using Arma 2 Combined Operations - which is Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. We are not using any mods. Almost every server these days require both if we were to run Arma 2 only it would be difficult to use any missions as most are made for CO or at least Arrowhead. I'm also pretty sure we mentioned that before and it says in the calendar event CO

Do you have the Steam version of Arma 2?

Edit: be back in about an hour we'll see what we can do to get you setup

Pvt. Pirate - Arma 2 is very old. Wayyyy old. Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead is the new, shiny thing that came out over a year and a half ago to breath new life into Arma 2.

It fixed a lot of issues with the 1.60 patch, and includes what is know as BAF and PMC "Lite", allowing for Private Military Company player models and gear, and British Armed Forces.

No one plays just Arma 2 anymore and this is not the first time you will run into this issue. Save up them pennies!

Also, who said anything about mods? This is Vanilla Arma 2: Combined Operations Missions.

Guest AirborneAlways
For those that missed out SHAME ON YOU (j/k)

Things seemed to go pretty well until numbers really increased, while VG members did try to keep some coordination going it was lost. Then again that seems to be typical combat that things fall in to disarray until objective is cleared.

Given this is one of the first ops (in what I gathered to be in some time) I am sure things will improve without going the way of being like a TRU clan.

While I seen a few mistakes here and there, I am sure I made a few myself.

I really look forward to the next event.

!gundown !eatmyuzi

maybe just plan the event weeks ahead and have people sign in for the event and know their teams and objectives already before everything starts. also make the eventserver password protected, so noone joins late or uninvited. that might make everything a bit smoother.
also i hope i can be there on the next event.

Guest AirborneAlways
Pvt. Pirate LAN_WROTE ...

maybe just plan the event weeks ahead and have people sign in for the event and know their teams and objectives already before everything starts. also make the event-server password protected, so none joins late or uninvited. that might make everything a bit smoother.
also i hope i can be there on the next event.

Murderface LAN_WROTE ...

sorry that i couldn't make it, my Arma files are corrupt for some reason. shall try to fix it before the next event.

and i agree with Pirate, we should begin forming squads so people can start working together with the same people and focusing on team dynamics etc.

From my understanding, this was one of the first in sometime to be scheduled so it is understandable that there are some issues........

I think this go was more about just getting the numbers on the server and getting some new unknown people to join. I know for some that this was the first time in ages they had been on an ARMA server and other who had never been around VG before. Now that isn't to say a few douche-bags didn't join, that happens.

Given what I feel this event was for, I would be inclined to not lock the server. If this was a big highly drawn out event with required sign or required to be on TS to join at all, then I could see locking the server.

Form squads??? As Veterans Gaming is mostly a community with a dash of tactical realism in there. Given everyone's various locations that was at the event, to try to get assigned squads for practices would "no joy" to say the least. Now that is not to say that there isn't a core group of people here in the community that shouldn't take up assigned roles such as pilots, squad leaders, snipers. That way those positions at least have some constant to them and will over time be able to function well together.

Now that isn't to say that a group can't get together, practice and, then at an event be in the same squad to work together. But in my opinion, for VG members to try and require squad practice on community members would push some people away. If it was say, just open training time to learn some basic tactics and range time you might have some luck. Cause one of the things that make good team work is just hanging out with the team.

In closing this post, lets give it a bit more time to see what kind of direction things should go. My post that I made about the disorganization was made after almost 2 hours of playing. Which means it time for a break anyhow as that much time my own playing is probably adding to my frustration.

GAME ON...... now which way was it to the sniper range as I need some more practice.

AirborneAlways LAN_WROTE ...

From my understanding, this was one of the first in sometime to be scheduled so it is understandable that there are some issues........

I think this go was more about just getting the numbers on the server and getting some new unknown people to join. I know for some that this was the first time in ages they had been on an ARMA server and other who had never been around VG before. Now that isn't to say a few douche-bags didn't join, that happens.

Given what I feel this event was for, I would be inclined to not lock the server. If this was a big highly drawn out event with required sign or required to be on TS to join at all, then I could see locking the server.

Form squads??? As Veterans Gaming is mostly a community with a dash of tactical realism in there. Given everyone's various locations that was at the event, to try to get assigned squads for practices would "no joy" to say the least. Now that is not to say that there isn't a core group of people here in the community that shouldn't take up assigned roles such as pilots, squad leaders, snipers. That way those positions at least have some constant to them and will over time be able to function well together.

Now that isn't to say that a group can't get together, practice and, then at an event be in the same squad to work together. But in my opinion, for VG members to try and require squad practice on community members would push some people away. If it was say, just open training time to learn some basic tactics and range time you might have some luck. Cause one of the things that make good team work is just hanging out with the team.

i agree with you, that for just "looking how many people will come and have a little training and learning the basics" it seems to have been a success.
but for some serious action, we should have predefined squads each event.
the squads dont have to be defined weeks ahead, but atleast before the mission begins.
also the training in a squad is about teamplay and about having a reliable partner in your squad when the battle begins.
hanging out with the squad is important, but most important is to know the tactics and learn basic stuff like commands and communication, moving as a team, giving eachother cover etc.
and thats things that can be used with whoever you play with, as long as the others practiced it too.
sure that might "push some people away", but its people who dont want real teamplay and arent reliable and wont give you cover.
they want a medic in their squad, so they get fixed when hit, but they dont care if the medic gets into danger.
i didnt want to rant about that. sorry.
back to topic:
locking the server and putting the password into the event thread an hour before the event starts is good to keep people out who are just stumbling about the server.
maybe make open events (like this one / teamplay and basics training) and intern events (for people who already know whats going on / real teamplay and actual missions).

even though i couldnt be there, i count this as a success (for the community).

A short feedback from my side:

+ Many regular players
+ many =VG= members
+ ArmA OA

- Less or no communication between squads
- Not much tactical movement as squad
- No warmup-round / basic-training for beginners
- No multiplayer mission with objectives and end
- Endless Insurgency, boring
- No ACRE/ACE mod

Suggestion for the next event:

- Missions
- Predefined squads with task distribution
- Communication on the battlefield!
- Tactical movement on urban terrain
- Training before event

First of all THANK YOU to all players that made it out to the event on Saturday - hopefully those that missed it will get a chance next time.

Second, my apologies all members... I was not expecting that many people to show up and as such was a bit unprepared. The missions I had tested earlier ranged from 6 - 20 players maximum, and once we had over 20 players in the server and a handful waiting on TS to get in, Insurgency was our only other option.

I was also surprised by the number of pubbies that joined in during the event... always a double-edged sword !threaten Comms became a bit of a nightmare and I think turned a few people off especially when that Garrett guy kept getting shot every 2 minutes and yelling for a medic over sidechat.

Pvt. Pirate LAN_WROTE ...
maybe just plan the event weeks ahead and have people sign in for the event and know their teams and objectives already before everything starts. also make the eventserver password protected, so noone joins late or uninvited. that might make everything a bit smoother.

Well we weren't really set on one mission so that is hard to do. Also since this was our first event I didn't want anything too serious or rigid as I think that scares off a lot of new players or those that don't play MP often. I do understand what you are saying though and I think as we get more events under our belt it will become more 'disciplined'. We will also discuss password-protecting the server for future events (also forces players on TS which is a bonus).

lupago =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Great rounds, as i said i am going to be more active in ArmA II, i wish we can keep doing something like this every weekend. Think one of the best tonight was the one with the German army and the lost supplies!

Well they do require a bit of work/planning and my wife will actually kill me if I do this every weekend!! That being said if there are members who want to help out in the setup and testing they are more than welcome!!

Yes that 20 player mission was actually well done (despite the night/day issue) I'd like to try that one again at some point.

Airborne and Pirate - good posts I didn't quote it but I'm thinking along the same lines. The organization/squad tactics/etc will come over time. Your other points are noted and will be up for discussion as well. I would like as much input as possible as to what members want for these events so keep it coming (we must get Pirate a copy of OA!!).

Speirs =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

- No ACRE/ACE mod

- Missions
- Training before event

Good points Speirs. We actually did start with missions but so many people showed up we had to switch to Insurgency. I also like your idea of having training sessions before the event (like an hour or two before) - we can easily make a 'training' map where new players can break shit and not get chewed out !yes

Anyone else with any thoughts on the event or ideas for future events please post them here.

!hi

A short feedback from my side:

+ Many regular players
+ many =VG= members
+ ArmA OA

- No ACRE/ACE mod

- Missions
- Training before event

my god speirs your reading my mind! exactly that stuff was not so good! but hey it was like savage said our first event! but just for the next time we should really organzie every squad. a little idea from my side is: every squadmember can speak in the own squad but not to other people without direct communication. the squadleaders can speak with the other squadleader, CAS/TRANS and with the own squad. !thx

@Savage: More minus than plus. Sorry Savage for the harsh criticism. Thank you for organizing the event. I'm sure the next time there are more plus!

Please if you have 'harsh' criticism POST it.. I'm a big boy and it will help with future events !mental

SavageCDN =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

@Savage: More minus than plus. Sorry Savage for the harsh criticism. Thank you for organizing the event. I'm sure the next time there are more plus!

Please if you have 'harsh' criticism POST it.. I'm a big boy and it will help with future events !mental

!hi !good

@Speirs
yeah you're right with the briefing and it is realistic, too!