Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Arma 2 - Headless Client

=VG= SavageCDN

I have been messing around and was able to get the headless client working in Arma 2 a few weeks ago on my home setup.

I gifted a copy of Arma 2 CO to the Veterans-Gaming Steam account and was able to download and install the client onto the Hetzner server last weekend.

I'm going to try and get some testing going.. I have a mission ready that supports HC just need some warm bodies. I've configured the port 2312 server (runs ACE insurgency ATM) and it can be switched over for testing quickly. I'll post up in the chatbox if / when it happens.

The only caveat is that you must be running the beta version of Combined Operations. In Six-Updater this is easy to do - hit the beta checkbox and download the files.

If you are sitting there like WTF is the headless client? Sounds like my last girlfriend...

The headless client is a copy of Arma running in console (like the dedi servers do) that can connect to a supported server and handle all the AI processing. This means much better server FPS as the server is only handling server stuff like positions, running scripts, etc., leaving all the 'work' of handling AI to another process. The end result should be better server performance and smarter AI, which is what we need for joint operations with 40+ players.

ATM missions must be made to support the HC so we can't just throw any old mission up there

!senile

Mods:

@ACE; @ACEX; @ACEX_RU; @ACEX_USNavy; @CBA_CO; @st_interact; @sthud; @tpwcas; expansion/beta

5.9.23.13 port 2312

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if the benefit would be even greater if this could be set up as a cluster over high speed LAN.

For example; two servers connected via a gigabit switch with cat6 ethernet cable. One server running the head client and the ArmA2 servers connected to the headless client via the lan? That would mean no stress at all from the AI. You could really ramp the AI numbers up. Then the outside line connected to the internet and all the server resources would purely be for players. You could have a CRAZY event like that with 100 people online.

All in theory, of course...

SolarFlame =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

I'm wondering if the benefit would be even greater if this could be set up as a cluster over high speed LAN.

For example; two servers connected via a gigabit switch with cat6 ethernet cable. One server running the head client and the ArmA2 servers connected to the headless client via the lan? That would mean no stress at all from the AI. You could really ramp the AI numbers up. Then the outside line connected to the internet and all the server resources would purely be for players. You could have a CRAZY event like that with 100 people online.

All in theory, of course...

ATM no real benefits because Arma2 dedi .exe uses 2 cores max (as does HC). So when running the HC as long as it's not on the same 2 cores as the server .exe there is no real performance loss.. in fact I'd argue it's faster just due to the fact it's on the same physical machine and thus no network latency (even at 1GB). Of course if those cores are also handling other stuff then it will make a difference.

But yes.. if we had a 2nd Hetzner dedi for example it could be running HCs while the primary dedi runs the servers.

I did a quick test yesterday on the server and with just me in the game and over 120 AI running on the HC, the server FPS was between 45-50 and that's during a heavy firefight.

^ Yeah Arma will only use 2 cores (and only 1 for the AI) anyway.

Anyone up for some testing today I'll be setting up the ACE server with a mission where we defend against hordes of incoming enemy AI. If you like missions with huge fire-fights and lots of artillery I suggest you join us :)

Mods:
@ACE; @ACEX; @ACEX_RU; @ACEX_USNavy; @CBA_CO; @st_interact; @sthud; @tpwcas; expansion/beta

5.9.23.13 port 2312

I'll post again in chatbox when things are setup. Mission is JIP and has respawn (you WILL die....)

hmmm...did everyone experience this? I don't think my frames dropped below 20-25 at any point and the server FPS didn't go below 25 or so.. in fact server FPS got better as the mission wore on and was up around 45-50 when I reset it.

I'll check a few things though mainly the cleanup aspect of things (like are dead bodies being removed? players and AI?). I can also try reducing the # of items on the map (extra fortifications, etc).

• 2 weeks later...
So initial tests were pretty successful I'd say. For our JointOp planning I am putting together a guide for making missions using the HC. In reality that guide is already written by someone else, I'll just be adding my own notes, etc over the next week or so.

http://debian.veterans-gaming.com/~six/HCtutorial.pdf

Basically it comes down to having to spawn the AI units on the HC instead of the server. I've only tested it with DAC so far and it comes down to having the DAC zones created by script instead of actual triggers, etc in the editor. I have not tried UPSMON or other scripts (mostly cause I don't know WTF I'm doing !crazy ).

I think a good start would be for JointOp mission makers to give this a read and then we can meet up in TS and discuss. I also have some ideas on how our JO mission template should be structured. Of course I'm not a pro at this so if someone has better ideas please speak up!!

Just remember that the more powerful tools we provide or allow tend to make the game play more like "just going through the motions" of an attack, and though it is important to have fire support and close air support for our e-soldiers, it is equally important to have a proper degree of a challenge for players as well.

Just being able to be killed by the enemy is not a challenge enough, IMHO, and a degree of fear is a good thing in a realism game such as Arma. No one should feel comfortable popping their head up while deep in the shit, and they should have to think on how to act and react, instead of just scoping inept AI bots with high power assault rifles FTW.

Balance is difficult to achieve, and props to all those working on this/these missions to create that sense of balance and challenge.
!hi

• 2 months later...