Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

the second ARMA 2 server

suomikeizari

so I've noticed that the servers at the moment aren't very ummm, popular compared to for example our PR COOP (and yes i understand that ARMA 2 is a bit new for us + we haven't been REALLY popular on it as far as I've seen) I know the Clafghan project is big and I've been very interested as well, good work Semler, PITN, Savage, Oni etc.

anyway to the point what if we convert one of the servers to this: (zombie mod)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bobtoms-arma2-missions/news/dynamic-zombie-sandbox-95-release

1st of all, there is no dedicated Zombie servers It's bound to have some interest in! 2nd of all: our gamestyle works Perfect on this mod! 3rd of all: there is no limits for it! you can do a base outside the city (on any official map!) and raid the zombie hordes from time to time etc. etc.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the Arma servers have declined in popularity since the new year really. I think it's a combination of decline in Arma 2 numbers overall (there will be a big spike when Arma 3 is released), players losing interest in the more popular game modes like Domination and Insurgency, and probably other factors as well.

That being said if members want to play the Zombie mods we can make it happen.

I am currently doing my own little analysis of the Arma player's focus, what is popular, what is played, mods vs. non-mods, etc. I'm going at this with some serious nerditude, and I'm sure when I'm done I'll have a much more clear picture of these demographics that will help us determine how to/what to run on our 2nd Arma server so as not to waste money on a game no one plays.

I expect to have a proposal by this weekend - Savage and I have also been looking into getting "signed" with SixUpdater, but again, this is a discussion in progress between the administration. Our main goal will be to get players into that server and keep it populated as a persistent battleground of missions like PR.

Patience...

The Clafgan server is the BEST! Semler and the others working on it have done a great job!

And then you guys made the 2nd server for I44! What a dream!

Get to choose between modern warfare or older warfare!

As to the suggestion of yet again, another zombie server, forget it. Zombie killing is for the younger crowd, you know the type, shoot everything in sight faster than the next guy playing, 0 teamwork, 0 skill improvement, 0 comradeship.

I have been playing with VG for a number of years now, and honestly, I enjoy the teamwork and mature game play offered.

That's my two cents worth. :)

Renainn

Guest airbornealways
Having played ARMA 2 then ARMA 2:CO

As for drawing people into as server via the in-game sever listing:

1) Domination
2) Insurgency
3) No Mods

Running one of those two Maps and no mod will get people on a server. NOW I AM NOT SAY THAT VG SHOULD GO THAT ROUTE.

Want to let the world know that VG exists?? Post in the Clan Advertisement area of places like Armaholic, Bohemia, and other major ARMA sites that will allow you.

Making mention of the specific types of server that are being ran. Letting them know what mods would be need for server (nothing like starting arma and finding out there is three hours of mod download to do) So they show up ready.

Something that should be seriously considered is regular ARMA nights, maybe a Friday night and then earlier in the day on Saturday or Sunday. Then we just all pile in as people will join if they see others playing.

Some good points here. I think we need to find out once and for all what members want to see from the Arma server(s) and we'll react accordingly.

Semler and I have been discussing this and it might come down to one vanilla server (running some sort of MSO/Insurgency type mission) and one mod server running Clafghan, ACE, I44.. whatever.

This is assuming we will still have 2 Arma servers moving forward.

personally, i think mods just complicate the fuck out of things lol, one Vanilla server would be great. bare bones teamwork right there, exactly what the game is designed to deliver.

we really need Arma nights, a regular gathering to get that game going again, because right now it's hit and miss. last 3-4 times i've come on the site there has been nobody in any Arma related TS3 channels, and i just won't play that game on my own lol.

please =VG= members bring about some structure to our playing, and rescue Arma from it's low popularity.

I plan on spending much more time on the CLAfghan server playing as the Commander. I think a lot of that sever's problem is the logistics end of it. By providing proper RECON and artillery support, it will be much more playable.

Also, the idea to host and promote gaming nights is a great idea, and we should start right away. I'll be on later tonite, and again tomorrow.