Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Fuel tanker out of the 909th

Minrah

cant seem to make new flights for tankers and I cant see/dont know which tanker the VG server sits in.

when i try to make a new flight it tells me "bad timing" even when I Set it days ahead of the Take off time. not sure if theres anything I can do on my end for this, if you made it so that we cant touch that flight group i understand and wanna say sorry and disregard this post >_>

• Upvote 1

You should have no issues, but I've looked into that bad timing thing once on the forums with regards to fragging flights (not what you are doing for tanker) but same issue "bad timing"... I cannot recall if I found the answer, but I can assure you that it's not restricted by us or the server campaign.

According to some PDF I found "Bad timing" pops up if you create a flight in the past.

Only thing that comes to mind is you set the take off time but forgot to hit the little lock symbol. Then HQ will try to create a flight with the time on target (default) which will put the TO in the past thanks to the long travel time. Everything else should give you "no AC available" but (say it with me): "BMS can act in strange ways" :D
The server is sitting in 2D now in case you missed it (got rid of most AI warping issues etc.). Once a flight is considered completed it will be deleted automatically and the server should just jump to the next plane in the ATO. You still can't delete the occupied flight manually ("human player detected") but other than that it shouldn't influence creating/editing/deleting flights.

I still got the VG D1 save at hand and I'll add a squadron of KC-10s available for human tasking. Think they look way sexier than the KC-135 and it will make finding the squadron easy. You'll have to get used to a different contact position but I think you'll appreciate a little diversity ... and actually having tankers available in a less remote location :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, server was sorta hung up on inspection, and as I could not interact with the frozen server BMS GUI/interface, I assumed no one was flying, and I restarted the server.  I verified that Kadena has active flights and aircraft available, and we'll see if you have the same problem today (if you fly today that is).  Try it again now.  The tankers are out of the 909th @ Kadena, and I believe the livery number is more than 2-3...  Ensure you are hit the lock symbol as described by Brain, which you may very well have done correctly, but it's worth noting for troubleshooting purposes that every single waypoint in the flight plan should be unlocked before adjusting any of the steerpoints.

Can't imagine you made a mistake and I'm certain you know how to frag flights and that this was indeed an abnormal game bug.  Hope it fixes with the restart.

I wish I knew what to say -- I have no idea how this works normally, I assume it works just the way you are trying... then again, could it be that we aren't able to frag Tankers and stuck with rendezvous at the location of one of the AI Tankers already in the air?  If anyone knows how we can fix or adjust this, please advise.  Thanks! 

Only the time you locked in the package window matters. It will either be takeoff time (time steer 1) or time on target (first triangle on flightplan). All other times on steerpoint will be calculated using a default flight profile for each plane. I just set up a tanker east of Seosan 5 hours in the future and it popped up after just a few seconds. It should work with less (5 - 20 minutes) like every other package.
I can only think of picking the wrong plane type by accident or the worst case of server lag in a while.

As long as a tanker is patrolling along the track you should be able to refuel with it at about 6 miles. You may have to frag it before your own flight though.
AWACS can point you to the closest tanker which might not be on station yet or RTB. Then you'll get 'negative' when requesting fuel. In this case switch the TCN one channel up or down (should be 59Y - 63Y) to see if there is another tanker. If it's reasonably close you want to find this guy instead.

• Upvote 2

Speaking of tankers:
EvKMILQ.png
While it's a pretty sweet shot it's actually insanely annoying. In this particular situation the boom was blocked by the 2 ship on the left. Even if not I'd have had to refuel while flying inside the wake of these two guys, which is not fun at all.
Don't know what causes it, just wanted to mention it. Maybe the KC-10 is somehow less broken.

Right click - add package - lock take off time - set TO time 20 minutes into the future - add flight - 1 ship, KC 135, 909th, Kadena - Task: Refuel - Ok - Done.
We all know that but just saying so we're all on the same page here. I do not understand what's going wrong here ... not at all. Not sure how long I'll be on during the week so we can check that out together.

Added a KC-10 squadron to the day 1 save. Will double check everything is fine and get Semler's approval to use that on the next restart.
Also still got a roughly re-balanced campaign around but the amount of air traffic would probably kill the server in 24 hours. Need to find a way to cut down on that and then fly some 4-ships on 'release' to get ballz deep into the action and deliver a good first strike. More when we'll get there.

yeah for the life of me I cant figure this out everything is set to what you said from the start of ur post, the goal that i want to do is set a tanker and the north east coast and do flights way up there and do tanker return hook ups, you know if any of the tankers in the 909th are set for the server, I dont want to remove any of those flights and end up crashing the server

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be happy to make that happen --  there is someone who made the specific server campaign file we use at VG, and I'll need to look up the forum post to find out who that is (my memory is shit).

We can see if he'd be able to add that fuel squadron for us.   Also, if we're gonna crack open the campaign, it may be good to know if everything else is fine, or if any other squadron tweaks are needed as it'd be best to do so at the same time.

It may take a few days, but we'll get it done.  AAR is something plenty of pilots would appreciate on the server, no problem to make it so.  (I usually just land at a friendly airbase, but there's not much challenge in that, and it's not always a viable option to get fuel in all missions). ;)

• Upvote 1

I think it was Toby but I haven't seen him in months. I added the tanker, had trouble with my ISP again, totally forgot to upload it afterwards and now I can't find the save game anymore. Might have been on my laptop but deleted BMS as it didn't run very well. ... getting old and might need a new callsign soon :D
If you can pass me the save I can add a tanker in minutes easily...and I'll not wait with uploading this time. My saves are all heavily modified and given the current state of BMS I expect them to make the server less stable; main problem being the insane unit count.

Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome the 910th with their KC-10s.
UH2pEHH.jpg
Since they only come in bunches of 4 planes, I actually added 2 new tanker squadrons:

KC-10   -  910th  -   Choongwon Airbase
KC-135 -  908th  -   Choongwon Airbase

If you ever need a tanker, frag them there. The save file can be acquired here;)

Further I took the liberty of disabling HQ fragging for some of the reinforcing Hornets and biased the AI ones towards air-to-air, to mostly conduct CAP in the area. They have proven to be a pest on arrival when DPRK is already in pretty bad shape. It actually reminds me of the four horseman, the fourth one being described as the pest in this pretty sweet song It just can't get any worse when these guys arrive :D

• Upvote 1

BMS Server has been restarted with the new campaign save file to Day 1.

19 hours ago, Brain said:

Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome the 910th with their KC-10s.

KC-10   -  910th  -   Choongwon Airbase
KC-135 -  908th  -   Choongwon Airbase

If you ever need a tanker, frag them there.

• Upvote 1

ok dont know why im still getting bad timing T_T can anyone else check to see if they can frag a flight, either kim hacked the server or he really doesnt like me dropping GBU-12's on his U boats up north.... >_>

*update*

ok so I think I found out what was making the problem, the tanker squadron had the HQ icon lit up so i deselected it to see if it would work and it allowed me to frag the flights, im not going to do that to the 909th but in the 908th and the 910th i can now frag those flights, if you're going to be scratching your head on this one im right there with ya

Okay - this means we may need to edit the base Day 1 save file one more time... We can turn off HQ fragging for the 908th and 910th so that they don't even go up unless fragged by a human player.  This will ensure that they are always available.  If this is something you guys want, let me know and I'll make the changes.  If you'd like to continue as is and use your "workaround" to frag the Tankers for now, we can let this war go a few weeks before doing another Day 1 restart.  It's up to you guys.