Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Battlefield 3 PS3 Beta (Commentary\Review)

Raven800

I figured I'd throw this up because I just finished playing the beta and in a way the gameplay is generally the same between PC and Console, the only difference it you're using a controller on the console version. Before I point out the negatives of the game let me first clearify that I do understand that this game is still in Beta. Any comments about the negatives of this game will be prompted as suggestions for EA and Dice to look over and hopefully fix before the game is released. With that said, let's begin.

Well I'm very excited about this game. I loved Bad Company 2, even with its few imperfections and I loved Battlefield 2 before it was exploited like no tomorrow. So jumping into this I was stoked to see how the gameplay played out. Sure enough, jumping into the battle field felt great; audio sounded amazing, controls were fluid and the environment and character models looked outstanding. However one thing I noticed, and I did read about this on a BF3 forum, was that the environment looked really "pixely", like they weren't utilizing anti-aliasing. I read that the console versions of this game won't be utilizing the full broth of the graphics engine like the PC will, but maybe this feed back is coming from the Beta players and not the developers themselves. Time will tell though. With that said and out of the way, let's go ahead and highlight the pros and cons of this new mass multiplayer game.

First off, the pros. One thing I gotta say is that I'm happy they're including the "Rush" game mode in this title. Ground Control is fun and all but sometimes it can get boring, so it's good to mix it up and have some variety. Honestly though, I'm much more looking forward to the massive maps they're promising for ground control. I can't wait to see that! Another pro about this game are the weapons. Finally they got the right idea, and now weapons look like they're going to be team specific much like in Battlefield 2, which is something I can appreciate because it never made sense to me why a Russian Soldier would would walk around with an M16 in Bad Company 2, or why you start off with a soviet AK-47 even as the Americans. The consistency is definitely present now (at least for the starting weapons) and much like in Bad Company 2, the more you use a specific class and earn points with them, the more stuff you unlock for them. Next let's talk about classes. It seems they took a step back and used Bad Company 1's class system, which was a smart move. Medics no longer carry machine guns as the "Assault" class is the new medic class and the machine gun toting soldiers are the "Support" class, much relevant to Battlefield 2. Like Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 sports 4 classes; Assault, Engineer, Support, and Recon. Let's go ahead and briefly go over these classes:

1.) Assault: primary weapons are assault rifles with options to add under barrel attachments (that's right, you have to unlock grenade launchers), and they have the ability to drop health kits for team mates to heal from much like Bad Company 2 and can later unlock the shock pads to revive fallen teammates.

2.) Engineer: primary weapons are SMGs much like Bad Company 2, and have repair torches to fix vehicles (not sure if they can still solder through enemy vehicles like in Bad Company 2) and can later unlock the rocket launcher (that's right, they're engineers first and AT soldiers second).

3.) Support: primary weapons are LMGs with deployable bi-pods for added accuracy when laying prone or crouched behind cover (make your own machine gun nest), and can drop ammo for teammates.

4.) Recon: Primary weapons are a mix between semi-auto battle rifles and sniper rifles. Can call in artillery with a radio and can later deploy mines (maybe motion trackers as well, but that's yet to be seen)

This is where we start to dwell into neutral grounds as we talk about the new weapon attachments. So far I haven't been able to sample all of them, but I've managed to sample a few of them, and they seem rather impressive, however there are some disappointing factors about a few of them that I'll attempt to submit and hope the developers make the appropriate changes. With that said, let's go ahead and dive right in.

1.) Flashlight: This new attachment can be mounted on the assault rifle (and I think some of the other weapons like the SMG, but I'm not entirely sure yet), and is very effective at CQC (close quarters combat) as it hinders the opponents vision by creating a lens flare effect on their screen when the flashlight is pointed directly at them. An interesting new feature that definitely spices up a firefight, however there is a noticeable problem with this new feature as the effects seem unhindered in broad day light, so you can be looking at a person standing 50 meters away and their flashlight will still blind you (by showing up as a lens flare on your screen) and conceal their silhouettes, allowing them to shoot you with more accuracy. This needs to be fixed as this is not the proper way that flashlights work. if the flashlight were turned on in broad day light, their projected light would loose its effectiveness and only give off a flicker of light that would more so give away their position than blind their enemies.

Which leads us to the next attachment.

2.) Laser sight: This is another rifle mounted attachment (and also for the SMG I'm guessing). I'm not sure if it helps improve accuracy but it does give you a designation of where your weapon is pointing. The one problem I found with this gadget is that it has the same properties as a flashlight, meaning if it's pointed at you, you'll be blinding as if it was a flashlight. This is another issue as laser pointers down work like this unless they're pointed in your eye, or around the general area of your face.

so far these are the only two cons, aside from the obvious beta glitches like no-clipping glitches and erratic spawn menus. These two issues will be submitted to EA and Dice in hopes that they'll see these errors and fix them. Aside from these issues, the Beta looks very impressive and I can't wait to see what the full game has to offer. The main menu displays a Co-operative game mode, so I'm a bit interested in seeing how that will play out. Until then I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hope you enjoyed this. For anything I may have missed, you guys can check out this video by TheRussianBadger for more info.
To support the recommendations posted to EA and DICE, you can go here and show your support with a few forum bumps in hopes the Devs will catch a glimpse of these recommendations.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the laser and flashlights are toggleable and as far as I've seen pretty much all weapons can have flashlights and lasers (not at the same time)

Regarding the starting weapons for each side, its true you get AK for russia and M16 for America, but this is only untill you unlock other weapons. And at some rank, I dont remember which, think it was around 38 I got it, you get to pick both weapons regardless of which side you start.

My first impression of BF3 beta is that I'm loving it. I've put xx hours in it now and currently have rank 46. Which seems to be some prestige rank. Still not tired of metro level and cant wait for the full game to see the other levels.
My only concern is remapping the controls for vehicles. I tried it on Caspian Border map for the aircrafts, and it didnt work at all.

In my opinion lasers and flashlights are useless most of the time. Especially when stupid friendlies running with flashlight on all the time and blind me.

In first minutes of game I thougt what developers split up weapons for both sides. But soon I saw russians with M249, HK416 and UMP. *facepalm*.

I was on Caspian Border map only one time. I hop in fighter and soon catch friendly rpg. Yeah, it was stupid teamkill for asset like in old BF2 times. Also, looks like main battle tanks dont have coaxial machine gun by default. Sad but true.

So... rank 24 for now and I can say what graphics are awesome (even with my old 9600GT graphics card), gameplay is interesting and support class is really kick ass. Can't wait for release.

ridDle LAN_WROTE ...

Pffft, I love the flashlight. Moving up narrow hallways and bad guys dont stand a chance against my UMP with a flashlight.

again, the flashlight is a great addition, but the fact that they're just as effective in broad day light is problematic.
however in maps like "metro" where there are dark tunnels and whatnot, that's where they can be most effective and it makes sense.

The flashlight in daytime and "no coax" on the tank are glaring issues. Obviously, if a laser is going to work in such a way as well, it should be a very small target area on the targets eyeball. Using a mouse to aim is already like accurately aiming a laser, if you were to hold a laser in your hand, you could never so accurately point it.
This is a big issue I don't thing they thought of with these "light/sun flare" tactics they added.

Also, did anyone not expect that they would make certain weapons and attachments (including enemy weapons) unlockable or earnable?? Their business model is clearly taking a page from the success of Call of Duty(s). I'm sure not long after release, they'll sell gear and weapons packs as DLC. Mark my words.