Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

how to get/keep ACE/ACRE Insurgency populated.

suomikeizari

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

ok, I think you voiced the other in the base matter but I still think we should have a stationary base.
you can just fill it with so much more, multiple types of choppers, planes and armored vehicles, but since so many of you still are with the MHQ idea so it will probably be used.

adding MSO features and ranger skins + the fallujah map in insurgency are both pretty neat things but this will cause huge problems with getting people to join our server. we need to keep it as simple as possible.

so far that Ive noticed is that the more mods you have the harder it is to get people on your server.

While I have no issue with the idea of a static base, having multiple assets including heavier ones such as aircraft, apaches, etc would be detrimental to insurgency gameplay.
You only have to enter any Domi server to see what happens when random public players have access to every vehicle.
Basically all the armour is largely ignored because it takes too long to drive them to the AO and they get destroyed en route usually, and there is rarely anyone willing to airlift them.
You then have 70%+ of the players jumping in choppers/planes blowing the crap out of the AO so the few players actually trying to act as infantry basically just sit and watch.
Having multiple vehicles like that also encourages infantry players to basically "rambo" because they don't need to rely on others to transport them, they can just drive/fly themselves.

The MHQ with limited assets was a fantastic idea for insurgency as it required everyone to stick together as there was only one chopper for transport, it forced teamwork out of pure convenience which was great. This declined somewhat when choppers were made available to all team leaders via the radio but still kept each team together.

The other problem with a static base with multiple heavy assets is that in domi the enemy has access to similar equipment, armour, choppers, aircraft, sams, etc so the things are kept relatively equal, whereas in insurgency the enemy has none of those things so basically one apache could essentially solo an entire insurgency mission without being in any danger.

Final point is that heavier assets would not be used in a mission like insurgency due to the high civilian presence, we're not attacking military targets or bases so the focus is on infantry teams clearing their way to a target area rather than a chopper or plane blowing the crap out of every building in the city.

That said a static base could be done on Fallujah at the northern FOB lcoation, the only downside would be that every mission would always start with clearing the same squares which could become monotonous over time.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calv LAN_WROTE ...

While I have no issue with the idea of a static base, having multiple assets including heavier ones such as aircraft, apaches, etc would be detrimental to insurgency gameplay.
You only have to enter any Domi server to see what happens when random public players have access to every vehicle.
Basically all the armour is largely ignored because it takes too long to drive them to the AO and they get destroyed en route usually, and there is rarely anyone willing to airlift them.
You then have 70%+ of the players jumping in choppers/planes blowing the crap out of the AO so the few players actually trying to act as infantry basically just sit and watch.
Having multiple vehicles like that also encourages infantry players to basically "rambo" because they don't need to rely on others to transport them, they can just drive/fly themselves.

The MHQ with limited assets was a fantastic idea for insurgency as it required everyone to stick together as there was only one chopper for transport, it forced teamwork out of pure convenience which was great. This declined somewhat when choppers were made available to all team leaders via the radio but still kept each team together.

The other problem with a static base with multiple heavy assets is that in domi the enemy has access to similar equipment, armour, choppers, aircraft, sams, etc so the things are kept relatively equal, whereas in insurgency the enemy has none of those things so basically one apache could essentially solo an entire insurgency mission without being in any danger.

Final point is that heavier assets would not be used in a mission like insurgency due to the high civilian presence, we're not attacking military targets or bases so the focus is on infantry teams clearing their way to a target area rather than a chopper or plane blowing the crap out of every building in the city.

That said a static base could be done on Fallujah at the northern FOB lcoation, the only downside would be that every mission would always start with clearing the same squares which could become monotonous over time.

Ok, that's a fine point there.
I was going to restrict the heavier vehicles to verified people as well but that kinda changed my mind.
I still think there should be atleast 1 static base, but the assets should be restricted to 1 Stryker/LAV, few humvees, trucks and a apache/cobra. also 1 plane should be available. for transport we should have 2 hueys and 1 chinook (airlift).

is it possible to get 1 MHQ as well? there should be a way to teleport and spawn either on MHQ or the base.

or people will just leave for server running the same settings all the time.
worth a try I guess but people might just go for other servers and stop coming to ours.

but we wont know without trying, right? it's good that you guys are having ideas!

we have always switched around the server and changed mods and made updates and such.
well... you can see the result, while vanilla insurgency has basicly stayed the same and it is flourishing.

Another option

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17484

Personally I like the MHQ concept and it's a lot of fun on Fallujah with the LAV... I think Calv raises some great points re: asset abuse etc that comes with a static base full of stuff.

What about having a few small 'outposts' around the outskirts of the city that would have ammo/medical supplies/etc and perhaps a transport vehicle of sorts?

Also remember that coding stuff for Insurgency is not a simple task so the more goodies/changes/etc we add the more work for Poff/Semler/PITN/me/whoever. Things like static bases are easy but if we're looking at major changes to functions it will be a pain-in-the-ass :)

Gaz =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Outlanders had a good sugestion to this... He said that we should try a rotation like Takistan one week and fallujah the next and keep switching it up so regulars on takistan will be almost forced to download fallujah to play. Otherwise missing a weeks worth of Awsome gaming.

Exellent idea. I miss my lovely Fallujah allready !crying

I think... That we dont need all this stuff... we just need to put up an easily accessible server... Just Ace Acre and the mods that come with it and nothing else... obvioustly blastcore JSRS and ST's as optional mods but not enforced... and just work hard at what we do... Just play a takistan server maybe Zargabad if the croud calls for it? no drama really... Simple and effective..

People willing to lead and lead right... People who will listen to there men and get the job done thats all any players who join an ace server want (Excluding the odd Troll) just a relaxing game.. Im pritty sure that people will be attracted to play there and Outlanders idea of a rotating map is quite good for this... Its not always the same all the time It varies and thats all thats needed...

No bells no whistles just a nice server to chill on with a couple of tiddy blokes that care about keeping there lads alive..

Castor =VG= wrote ...
I was going to restrict the heavier vehicles to verified people as well but that kinda changed my mind.
I still think there should be atleast 1 static base, but the assets should be restricted to 1 Stryker/LAV, few humvees, trucks and a apache/cobra. also 1 plane should be available. for transport we should have 2 hueys and 1 chinook (airlift).

is it possible to get 1 MHQ as well? there should be a way to teleport and spawn either on MHQ or the base.

Not too keen on turning Insurgency into Domi - heavy vehicles don't really belong in an infantry mission. Maybe one, thats why we have the option to have the heli be a LAV instead, or Stryker, etc.

Flying to the AO is big in Takistan Vanilla Insurgency, but in ACE/ACRE Fallujah Insurgency, it's not advisable.
Think "Blackhawk Down".

Besides, it already has 1 MHQ - that's what Insurgency is all about. A flowing, changing frontline as infantry searches hotzones for insurgent weapons caches. We have all the HMMWV's we need, and even ATV's for a single person to get back to the front without tying up squad sized vehicles.

A heli call in such as in PITN's SOAR Insurgency would not be so helpful in Fallujah, being a true MOUT map, and CAS is actually OP at times. A fixed wing air asset has no business in Fallujah ACE Insurgency in my opinion. The map is rather small, and the patrol vehicles that are supposed to add excitement and danger all get blown up as soon as they roll on the map. Way too over powered...

Also, like Savage said, this mission is not exactly easy, like some, to script or code - it's some advanced stuff even for me, and I've been working with Arma scripting and editing for nearly a year.

What do I think will get ACE/ACRE Insurgency populated?

1. Regular people playing it, often

2. Online promotions including screenshots, videos, and tales of good times on VG Social Networks, and other community sites like BIStudios.com, and others.

Do I like asking myself questions and then answering them in text format?

1. Yes

2. Yes, I do.

!sarc