Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Advice on some Video Settings

Reaper

Just looking for some intel (not a silver briefcase this time), on the best configuration for setting up the Video settings for ArmA 2.

I have a pretty good Rig (I think) and can/should have the power to run some settings on HIGH or Very HIGH.....I just don't really understand Post Processing, AA, what trees and grass to have toggleg on...etc, etc.

I have a GTX 580 SC GPU
16 GB RAM
i7 intel Sandy Bridge CPU
Samsung SSD Drive

I just don't think I am getting the most out of what I have......what view distance should I be using and what the heck is HDR and Vsync, lol

From a self proclaimed rookie!! Any help or advice/insight is greatly appreciated.....if I can these things ironed out before the ARMA 3 Community Alpha, I will be most happy!!

REAPER LOK

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arma 2 OA 1.62 Video Settings Explained

Anti-Aliasing is basically a setting to remove jagged edges on objects. Like a wire or fence, or edge of something straight. Try turning off and on to MAX and see the difference.

Postprocess Effects is another way to smooth out the edges. In Arma it used to be like an interview with Barbara Walters - as in, like vasaline petroleum jelly smeared all over the camera lense. Very blurry with a lot of light bloom - but doesn't she look real and almost alive?
Now with 1.62 Patch, they have separated out the "blurry" effect to it's own setting: PPAA

PPAA has several settings from FXAA to SMAA. These attempt to apply Post Processing AA techniques to a larger degree, and separate from the Post Processing setting. Not sure what FXAA stands for - FSAA is Full Screen Anti-Aliasing, and MSAA is Multi-Sample AA. Set as appropriate to your specific video card, if desired. I don't use it.

AtoC is Alpha to Coverage - which applies AA techniques to foliage - grass, trees, bushes, etc. It governs when you can see through them, which layers, to help with the appearance of a multi-layered piece of vegetation.

Therefore, the settings of Post Processing, AtoC, PPAA, and even Shadows and General AF/Anti-Aliasing come down to the users preference. Although they each will use more and more of the video card's memory respectively, and sometimes lower FPS in some cases, they are responsible for the refined look and feel of the game. I do not use any PP, but I have my General Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing settings to MAX. I use the XFX Radeon HD 6770.

Video Memory should always be set to DEFAULT. At it's "Very High" setting, it will use only 512MB of VRAM - usually much lower than an average gamer's graphics card memory.

Anisotropic Filtering helps make textures look correct at odd angles, as they go away from the player. Along with the Mipmap detail level on most video cards, they make a solid surface with texture detail keep that detail even at distance from the player.

Your Texture Detail, Terrain Detail, and Objects Detail dictate the various levels of visual look on their respective items. You can get a very blurry looking cockpit, gun, or ground if you lower these too far.

*NOTE: The lower you set these three core settings, the more the game forces their "rendering" onto the CPU and off of the graphics card. For best performance with a good graphics card, keep all three set to their highest level!

HDR Quality is for light bloom effects - down to user preference.

VSync is not recommended for most users. We often do not ever have FPS higher than our monitor's refresh rate in Arma and therefore experience little to no tearing as a result. It will lock the framerate in an undesireable way.

Finally, your Interface Resolution and 3D Resolution should always be the same - set to your monitor's native output.
I have a 1600x900 monitor, therefore both these are set to that. Also, for ATI users, be sure you set your performance settings to "Application Controlled" wherever able. This is particulary important with Anti-Aliasing settings.
Arma, like many other games, does not like it's AA being forced by the video card. Use in-game settings for that.

!cheers

*view distance should be a user setting - whatever you want. I roll with 3000-5000 by default, but when I'm in a mission that is dropping my frame rates, I choose it by what I am doing:
Infantry = as low as 1600-2000
Flying Helicopter = as low as 2500-3500
Flying Jets = as low as 4000-6000

If you could find/build an Arma 2 PC (and an Arma 2 mission) that could run at 10,000 view distance at all times, with a playably high FPS, you will have found the Holy Grail of Armaholic gamers.

wow!!!

Now that is an outstanding and in depth reply :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I see that you have been thanked 130 times in 101 posts.....now I see why, lol.

I will spend some time time tomorrow looking and adjusting some /most of these settings and post my findings. I am using a 46" Samsung LED 3D TV as a monitor....is that frowned upon?

Once again.....many thanx!!!!

Since the Arma 2 OA 1.62 Patch getting best graphics and video card settings just right for a good FPS is easier in my opinion. That AtoC setting - wow!

Try walking up to some trees and bushes, and play with it a bit - at max, it bushes out everything and barely looks like a "video game". I get a slight drop in my FPS, but still - it looks amazing! Surely one of the things to turn on if you're gonna hold still and take a good photo quality screenshot!

!2cool