Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Regarding the Arma 2 BETA Patch

=VG= SemlerPDX

If you patch your Arma to the current BETA build, you may not be able to go back. This means all the servers running the official, current release version of the game will not allow you to play, or kick you for missing/corrupt data.

"BI Studios is moving into new territory with the BETA's. This means they are departing from where the game structure is, and has been, to a new level. Gone are the days when we can choose to start Arma 2 as itself (v1.60) or as the current dev's BETA Build.

The BETA will now, and from now on, need to overwrite core files of the game, and they cannot be reverted without re-installing the game. This means that a copy patched to the most recent BETA is now a different game than Arma 2 was, and cannot ever be Arma 2 again.

One thing you can do, albeit rather involved, is a multi-boot OS. If you have room, parse off a partition of HDD space, install Windows on it, and install Arma 2 (and the BETA patch). Keep Arma 2 at v1.60 (current version) on your main boot of Windows, that way you can choose when you turn on your PC which version you want to interact with.

Other than that, I can only suggest you wait until they release the BETA as the next official patch. "

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of a multi boot OS just copy the game file folder Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

Rename the original folder to reflect unpatched. Rename the new folder to reflect the correct folder name.

Run the beta patch and play.

When you want to go back to the normal game just swap folder names. Of course name the patched version to reflect that the beta has been applied.

You may also have to do this with your profile directory aswell.

I've done this already and It works.

You could even write a batch file to do this quickly.

I had updated the mods server with the latest patch not realizing it was an RC that was incompatible with previous versions (Six-Updater should not do this IMO.. it should stick with non-RC patches... but I digress...)

re: BE - on the server is the 'active' BE install folder under \armaroot\Battleye or \armaroot\expansion\Battleye? I assume it's the expansion one. Also I didn't 'install' BE into the Arma folder using the installer I just manually copied the .dll files from the install folder under Program Files to the game install folder, as there are 3 arma servers running on the dedi.

It was definitely BE that was causing the server to crash according to the .rpt file... but after reading about the RCs I figured best to revert back otherwise there would be (more) problems.

SemlerPDX =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Well, I guess the new patch is out already, that was very fast.

I wonder if we can install over the RC? Instead of reverting?

No. Dwarden has already stated thet the RC's cannot be patched and that you should back up your game installation before trying them.

For those of you that installed without having a backup I feel for you. I have 1.62 RC#2 but I backed up my arma directory beforehand. I will patch later tonight but I plan on keeping this RC so I can start messing around with the new ACR units.

FYI the latest 1.62 RC#3 and the new official 1.62 patch do not have these ACR units or ACR maps.

I found the problem in my install after I applied the latest patch 1.62. The new patch uses a security measure to prevent DLLs (Dynamic Link Libraries) from executing code on your computer. They go into great detail on the wiki and in short could allow an attacker FULL access to you computer.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Extensions

In my case, ACRE has a dll called dsound.dll . This was causing my game client to crash when loading. To solve the problem I located the file in my Arma2 OA directory and renamed it dsound.dll_bak . This fixed my client crash issues and I was able to play again.

I am not saying that ACRE is hacking. Only that it is not compatable with the new security measures. I am sure ACRE will get updated again one of these days.

Yes I noticed that as well.

So trying to update the server(s) but I can only find an .exe installer for 1.62, not just a .rar with the changed files. The only way I can see to update is to install Steam on the dedi and download all the arma files thru steam, apply the patch, then copy the steam game folder to the server folder locations.

Will try it out with the mods server before doing Insurgency.

Edit: seems to be working OK now