Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Open Discussion - Teamplay, Leadership, Mission Variety, and COOP Gameplay in Arma 2

=VG= SemlerPDX

Castor -- Do not get overwhelmed by a bad outcome or bad situation - no need to apologise, no worries! I'm sure we all still had as much fun as possible, given the circumstances in certain ACE Test Ops we've been doing lately. Also remember, especially in certain game scenarios, formations aren't as necessary as we'd like to assume. At times, for sure - but other times, you can rely on the game experience of your fellow gamers to clear an area in a safe way. Even moreso if you have personally trained with them on such techniques in any game.

-----
PITN LAN_WROTE ...

Let's do a test without google. How many of you know how to do these tasks. Just reply with the number you know how to do. Example: I know how to do 5 out of 8 of those tasks.

What is Echelon left?
What is a sector of fire?
What is bounding overwatch?
How long do you stand up during movement under fire?
How do you cross a road using security?
How do set up an ambush?
How do you withdraw under fire?
How do you do react to contact?
How do you break contact?
What is suppressive fire?

-----

I can proudly report that I have practiced several of those above named concepts in several different games, at different times, with some of the people I have gamed with often. As far as drilling each one in a game with the same folks - that would be lovely! Some games are able to employ maybe one or two of them, but certain games allow us to attempt to employ all of them in that one game. Arma comes about as close to being perfect in that manner, even with all it's flaws. It has so much to offer in one environment.

Even in tests we do get a chance to try out certain new things or radio use techniques, but know that it is best to be adaptive as a player and a leader. As a leader, if not in any real military position in the real world, these games force us to become many roles at once depending on the situation. In the end, leadership roles do indeed require the willing, the bold, and those who can at least take charge. Out of that, in these games, it develops that spark of desire. With Mil-Sim, often a desire for a decent way to employ these wonderful leadership opportunities, and Arma is prime for that if the mission is structured right.

With that being said, it almost always falls back to the need for the leader player to take the role of some kind of super-spec ops operative with the adaptive skills of a General crossed with a field-spec spy, and able to teach and train, and utilize any in-game available edge to lead his squad into and out of battle alive (while having a fun time). Well, that would be ideal, anyway. It is important to take things into perspecive in any given situation. You have to take the time to adapt, and being just a game, you have to recognize the core concepts as well before things get crazy. You gotta know when to scale it back a bit, and play it cool and light - it is a game, after all.

Just know your core well:

Where are your squad mates going to respawn? What gameplay style seems right? When to call fire support if available?
How best to Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb?
When to call it a fail and stop "respawning" (or- how to disconnect ACRE and talk with key hosts as to the status of the game being played.
Gotta adapt to survive in any situation, games too.

For simplicity in Arma, we try to keep player roles filled as best as possible - with a mind to keep as many boots on the front as possible. One man can operate that M109 Paladin we tested today, and although Castor and I noticed that it can be marginally faster with 2 players, that would mean one less capable rifle on the front.

We will always need to ask for players willing to fill out any dry/dull/boring positions when they are needed, but truly, we try to avoid this by "wearing many hats".
I know it may be hard to lead a small element when you also feel you are supposed to be in charge of the larger element as well, but being a leader in a video game does require a little less time playing the game and some time managing real humans playing it as well.
There is no problem with taking it slow. We can continue to play some training scenarios and even learn a little while we play casually.

Just spending time leading is a good thing, and my advice to anyone who takes up that role in Arma, or most games, is to know your role, know your game, and keep your ears open (even if you have to tell everyone to shut up and keep the coms clear once in awhile!) Someone may be giving priceless advice or calling out for assistance just the same... What you hear is often more important than what you say, and the less you need to say, the better you are as a leader.

And to that end, this wannabe eLeader is still on that path, too - and taking my own advice, gonna hope that's all well enough said and sign off.
!hi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic