Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Preset Weapon Loadouts

=VG= SavageCDN

OK so I've been fiddling with preset weapon loadouts for human players and I have it working with our MP Domination mission on my own machine.. what I need is some help testing this to see if it works with JIP (Join In Progress), after a respawn, etc.

Basically what this does is allow you to choose your custom preset weapon loadout when joining the server, instead of messing around in the ammo crates for 5 minutes. You can still change gear after the fact or cancel the preset selection and stick with the default weapons the mission has assigned you.

It works by your Player ID and when you join the server a script sees if you are in the 'list' of IDs with a preset loadout and if so, allows you to select it.

See my test video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-y9OlfhnI

The scripts to make this work were done by Demonized (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=116649) and in the file you download from the next post there will be a demo mission which allows you to select a preset loadout and save it to a text file which you can then PM to me. This makes it much easier for me to add your loadout to the mission files as it is already formatted correctly.

I haven't tested this in Insurgency and did read that INS may be more difficult to make work with these scripts.

Instructions on sending me your loadout in the next post. I'll add it to my test mission and we can give it a try when you are online.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Download the demo misson file at the end of this post

Unzip the .rar file

Put the "make_my_weapon_selections.Desert_E" folder in your Missions folder at:

Win7 - \ Documents \ ArmA 2 Other Profiles \ yourprofilename \ Missions

WinXP - \My Documents \ ArmA 2 Other Profiles \ yourprofilename \ Missions
(I am assuming this is the path for XP.. don't run it at home so can't check)

Find the file called "ArmA2OA.rpt"

In Win7 it is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ArmA2 OA\ArmA2OA.rpt

WinXP it is probably
C:\Documents & Settings\username\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\Arma2 OA
or
C:\Documents & Settings\username\ApplicationData\Arma2 OA
just search your \Documents & Settings\username\ folder for "ArmA2OA.rpt" making sure all files/folders are visible

Don't do anything with "ArmA2OA.rpt" yet we'll come back to it later

Fire up Arma2 in Single Player editor (no ACE or other weapon mods... regular OA and CO) and load up the Desert map "make_my_weapon_selections" and Preview it

Once in game go to the Ammo crate and choose your loadout.. you can fill backpacks as well.
(Ammo box contains ALL weapons, ammo and items you currently have in your active addons/mods - please make sure you are choosing only weapons that are available in Arma2\OA\CO and not ACE/ACRE or other addon weapons... ACE I will work on later)

When your loadout is complete and ready to save press 0, 0, 1 (Radio Alpha) and this will save the current loadout to that .rpt file mentioned above.

Open the ArmA2OA.rpt file in Notepad and scroll to the bottom - there you should see something like this:

"__________START of current weapon selection"
[[["ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio","Colt1911","G36A_camo","MAAWS","Binocular","Binocular_Vector","ItemGPS"]],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]],["7Rnd_45ACP_1911","30Rnd_556x45_G36","MAAWS_HEAT"],[4,6,2]]]
"__________END of current weapon selection"

Copy everything between the ___START and ___END lines (bright green text in the above example) and paste it into a new text file.

Also add what you want the loadout to be called ie: G36A with MAAWS or myDefault Loadout - This text will show up ingame when selecting different loadouts.

You can swap back into the demo mission and choose another loadout, save it (radio), and it will append to the .rpt file - you can do this for as many loadouts as you like (max 6 per player - it actually works with at LEAST 22 loadouts but I'm worried with that many it might cause issues).

Last but not least I need your player_UID (not your BattleEye UID) which can be found in game - Main menu > Player Profile > yourProfile > Edit > Player ID (should be a 7 digit number)

Send me a PM with your text file attached

make_my_weapon_selections.desert_e_v144.rar

Ok so I have it working now with multiple loadouts (well.. two) on my PC.

Few issues:

Only works when you first join the server.. respawns behave normally (ie: what you had when you died)

You need to select 'I'm ready' from the scroll menu after you select which loadout you are taking (this gets rid of the selection menu). Problem being if you do not select 'I'm ready' you can wander around and still swap between loadouts (handy I admit but not very realistic). Not a problem if we trust the players who will be able to do this (ie: VG members and regular players). There is a way to restrict the loadout menu to when you are close to an object (ie: ammo box or truck) but I haven't figured it out yet.

Edit: works now when <2m away from specific objects.. ammo crate at main for example.. also tried it on an ammo truck and was able to drive around and swap between my two loadouts when close to the truck.. very cool

If we can make this work on the INS server the regulars will love it.. might need some help with that though !crazy

Test video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-y9OlfhnI

Strange bug... when I select my first loadout I cannot fire my weapon until I switch to pistol and back to primary. Not a big deal but nice to know before contact with the enemy :) Doesn't seem to affect my 2nd loadout though.. might be the specific weapon I've selected.

Edit: only happens to me so not going to worry about it.. probably my specific loadout

Tested with TortillaBoy and SemlerPDX - thanks guys

A few issues - might be because we weren't using a dedicated server will have to test on our VG server

*we can select our loadouts again when close to each other (10m) - fun to amaze your friends but should be removed
*you can be up to 10m from ammo box (or whatever object) to select loadout - not a problem really
*if the object (ammo box, truck) is destroyed you can no longer select your loadout from it after it respawns.. not a big deal for main base ammo crate but will affect an ammo truck or MHQ with this ability

I assume the weapons in your loadout also have to be present in the mission but not 100% sure of this

Yeah it's server side - stuff has to be added to the actual mission files. So you create a few loadouts, PM them to me and every time you join the server you can select from your presets without having to rummage through the crates for your favorite weapons. We can make this a bonus for being a regular player or a VG member - your loadouts get added to both our Arma servers.. assuming we can make this work with Insurgency as well.

So far I have loadouts for SemlerPDX and TortillaBoy.. I'm going to add the three of us to the current DOM mission files for testing on the dedicated server. If you want to join in you need to PM me with your loadouts and Player ID. If you need help with any of this ping me on TS3

Domination server is up for testing with preset loadouts for:

SavageCDN
SemlerPDX
TortillaBoy
Poffadder (I just gave you a few loadouts to test - send me your actual loadouts and I'll add them)

Anyone else wanting this cool feature you need to go through the steps and send me the info.. remember that once I've got this stuff on file I can easily add it to other missions, Insurgency (after testing of course), etc.

Previous problems have been resolved by removing the loadout option on spawn and instead attaching it to an object (2 x Field Toilets at main base) - you need to be within 8m of the shitter in order to choose your loadout.

I'm testing it now, so far only one issue, I got an error

"No entry `bin\config.bin/cfgWeapons. Binocular_Vector"

so I ain't got to bino's when I pick my kit, but did notice that I got my backpack with my weapons...a backpack you can't pick up randomly, so maybe we can get things that aren't in the server, but other then that, it all works pretty good, no issues other then the one I mentioned, keep up the good work

((P.S. love the VG flag))

Thanks for the update I probably mis-typed something.. does your loadout have regular binocs as well? If so do they appear OK?

Edit: just checked and yes there is an extra space in the loadout ie: " Binocular_Vector" instead of "Binocular_Vector" ... same issue your Colt1911 had

My old eyes are failing me!!!!

This seems to work great on the Domination server so testing is over... if anyone else wants this setup PM me your loadouts.. Torts I'll fix yours when I do more editing tomorrow/Saturday.

Thanks to all those who helped test!!

I'd like to take a look at adding this to the Insurgency server as well...

I really think this could be our special =VG= niche. Offering preset loadouts, perhaps we require pubbers to join the website and post/send their info, and we do monthly/ bi-monthly updates to the server maps.

People would play on our servers more often if they got used to that awesome feature!!! It may be time consuming, but it could be our "hook".
!2cool