Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Mic Problems affecting Gameplay

Zulu

So ever since I started playing here, I've been asked various times if I had a mic, and had to explain the same thing every time:

I do, but it sounds like I'm Megatron.

I'd like to fix this but I can't see to find a way. I'm using the standard microphone in my Lenovo laptop and it works well with Teamspeak, but whenever I play anything it sounds horrible. First it sounded really low, so I turned it up and now it's better, but the weird voice problem remains. I badly need help, I can't play like this!

As our troubleshooting has revealed previously when you were playing in my squad just a moment ago, while we did also hear a bit of metallic feedback in the background (hence your impression of sounding like Megatron), it did not negatively affect our ability to hear you loud and clear so your audio setup at the moment works fine technically.

Since you mentioned using the default webcam mic that came with your laptop, I would suggest that you first check your sound card's settings and turn on/off effects and enhancements that could potentially eliminate this feedback. My suggestion is to turn on any and all noise cancelling/reduction effect(s), and turn off the rest, but you can also play around and find out which does what that might suit your liking. If this does not provide any tangible result then you can look into better audio gear like a good headset (Sennheiser PC 151, for example) as Jersans has advised above.

• Upvote 3

I've had a few headsets before, I prefer over-the-ear styles for max sound and comfort but I have noisy fans around me at times.  Gotta throw in my quick review of the G35 by Logitech - killer sound, impressive virtual 7.1 Surround Sound emulation, and the best mic I've ever used; plus it has 3 buttons on it that I find myself using all the time (programmable, I use one for Mute, Pause, and "Next Track" for my music player) and of course they can be set to any ingame buttons as well, with various profiles for different games.

Problem with laptop mics is they are entirely dependent on software to keep noise from the speakers from interfering with voice input, you can use your laptop like that for as long as you can take it before you get serious about your hobby here and get yourself a proper headset mic like the rest of us.  Sounds like the guys can hear you fine, even though it's not top quality.
Not to poke fun, but hell, next you'll ask how to make your touchpad mouse on the laptop work better in an FPS game (j/k)

Gear up, soldier ;)

• Upvote 1