Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Game Start

=VG= Skiddles

Hi,

I brought this up in TS but thought I should make a post as well to see what the community thinks,

Is it possible to introduce a pre-game "Briefing" period at the start of each match similar to Deployment? 

The quick loaders seem to have a big advantage in claiming assets and in some cases are at the first flag long before the team is even in-game.  
It might help to reduce the base rape issue at the start of the game. 

cheers,

Scriddles

• Upvote 4

I see what you mean and I have experienced it myself but I don't think it would really work, here's why I think that:

• We would need an admin to be on and make sure that everyone is ready, maybe even 2 admins or more. 
  • We would need to create rules about waiting at the start so everyone can start together wich complicate things because people are gonna have to get used to those rules.
  • It would be very complicated to keep track of every player loading to make sure everyone loaded so the game could start.
  • The same way late loaders get bothered that quick loaders get to claim assets the quick loaders would get annoyed that they need to wait a long time.

And lastly and more importantly:

• Bots wont wait for players to be ready, we would put ourselves into a disadvantage every game if we all waited 5~10 minutes before every game.

Coop is a place of a more relaxed gameplay so I don't see that problem being in high priority, in fact, that is one of those problems that don't really have a solution, it might have but not as fun.

At this point do we really need briefing? we are fighting on the same maps against the same enemies everyday, there isn't much planning to do against such a predictable enemy compared to human players.

Also I don't see the connection of "reduce base rape" there, base rape is against the rules in either way, having a briefing or not. As long as there is an admin online and helpful players reporting those who break that rule we can fight that problem.

• Upvote 1

@Sciddles Good question!

@=VG= Nyther in deployment, there's a few minutes at the start of each round where spawning is disabled for both sides. This is called Briefing. It's when squads communicate about who takes which roles etc. A 2-minute briefing could be an answer to certain nuisances on our server, but also has a few drawbacks. Whether it's technically possible or not is a question that @=VG= Melon Muncher can answer best. I don't know if we can keep bots waiting to spawn until after briefing either, but if they spawn from the start it just means we have more enemies to kill, sooner :)

We wouldn't need more admins active, but there are a few drawbacks.

- AFAIK players can still make squads before spawning is possible. Fast loaders can still snag assets.

- Loading times vary between 40 seconds and 5 minutes or more between players. A small briefing period will only target affect a small portion of the loading players, and a long briefing will cause people to leave. Waiting 5 minutes for a 2-hour deployment game is usual, but 5 mins for a 30-minute skirmish on certain coop maps is a bit steep.

Perhaps an option you'd also be happy to explore is having more delayed assets. IMO a few benefits over a briefing period:

- Assets can be delayed for 5 or even 10 minutes. The game still starts and infantry still plays, transport available, no need to wait.

- Having longer waiting times for assets reduces baserape naturally, because the enemy is already nearer to the front lines when our assets leave base. CAS will be needed closer to the friendly infantry.

- The delayed assets won't cause any 'missed playtime' on several maps, because they don't get to shoot anything in the first minutes anyway. We start out with grey flags in the middle usually, so we make no contact with enemies until 5-10 minutes in. Assets would be rolling out around the time where we actually make contact with enemies

- Having no initial heavy support will change game dynamics on many maps, giving a more challenging playstyle. Infantry could have to defend our front friendly flag until the armor is ready to support, and squads will need to have more portable AT ready.

Unfortunately, this option won't solve the issue of fast loaders claiming assets either. You can always ask someone with a fast loading time to snag the squad for you though, or simply ask if you can run the asset squad next round.

• Upvote 1

There is Khami LRG which has two minute delay on every friendly asset, but still you can make a squad and lock it if you have enough people to man all he vehicles before they even spawn, which does not fix the issue.

Many people blame it on ssd, i am running on hdd in my gaming laptop and i am in top while loading, i am not a huge expert on what is causing here the loadings to be quicker but maybe close up some background applications.. that is the only help i can get you sadly.

• Like 1

Those whom have slow loading system for PR can join the TeamSpeak & ask others to help reserve the slot for u if u really want to use that certain asset in the next round. We actually don't mind reserving the slot for a few minutes just to wait for that certain some1 to finish loading. -This is a cheaper option rather than buying new storage as some people are playing tru laptops which don't really have much upgrade options internally.

• Upvote 3

I think if people could just “Upgrade” their PCs to load quicker, I’m sure they would and I’m sure they have thought of that option lol. Unfortunately that is money and especially in a time like this not everyone has money to throw at building a new pc or SSDs no matter the price.

Although if briefing could actually work in COOP it would definitely help as you can still disable creating squads so even if the quicker loaders got in first, doesn’t mean they can claim before the slower ones. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/10/2020 at 3:47 AM, Sciddles said:

Hi,

I brought this up in TS but thought I should make a post as well to see what the community thinks,

Is it possible to introduce a pre-game "Briefing" period at the start of each match similar to Deployment? 

The quick loaders seem to have a big advantage in claiming assets and in some cases are at the first flag long before the team is even in-game.  
It might help to reduce the base rape issue at the start of the game. 

cheers,

Scriddles

You knwo what will help ? Get a new PC. good one. or try SSD at least.

• VG Seal of Approval 1

Just now, Connorsponner01 said:

I think if people could just “Upgrade” their PCs to load quicker, I’m sure they would and I’m sure they have thought of that option lol. Unfortunately that is money and especially in a time like this not everyone has money to throw at building a new pc or SSDs no matter the price.

Although if briefing could actually work in COOP it would definitely help as you can still disable creating squads so even if the quicker loaders got in first, doesn’t mean they can claim before the slower ones. 

Giving a negative reaction to me fo saying same thing you said is just make no sens. this is a respected community not a place were you express your weird feelings.  

• VG Seal of Approval 2

31 minutes ago, ranger_12 said:

Giving a negative reaction to me fo saying same thing you said is just make no sens. this is a respected community not a place were you express your weird feelings.  

i didnt say that lol, i was meant to quote golden but it wasnt working. Also whats the point in a downvoting and upvoting system if i get called weird for using it. Very odd

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Connorsponner01 said:

i didnt say that lol, i was meant to quote golden but it wasnt working. Also whats the point in a downvoting and upvoting system if i get called weird for using it. Very odd

Most people here seem to instinctively consider the Reputation System something that is more used in the positive rather than the negative, in that negative reputation is reserved for abusive, disruptive, or particularly disrespectful replies or use of the forums.  Unwritten, but certainly seems to be the 'flow' over the years.

For that reason, respected members (myself included) may view such causal use of the 'downvote' feature in the manner you (and rarely others before you) have done as a bit petulant, especially when it's just dropped like a hot mic with no accompanying reply that explains the disdain and/or reason for such seemingly vehement disagreement with said persons post.

That being said, mistakes happen - shit happens.  But, the thing is, if you had meant to push the quote button on Golden's reply but instead pressed the downvote on ranger_12's reply, I'm at a loss for words, and can't really help beyond saying that any of these reputation buttons can be removed in the same manner they were applied -- click on a 'heart' and it sticks, click it again and it goes away, likewise for up/downvotes.

Whatever, it's really no big deal, but it may give the wrong impression to people, like saying something about personality or character, when tossing around downvotes for seemingly 'weird' reasons that only confuse the person on the receiving end.... like a "kick" from PR COOP without a reason or prior warning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

But, the thing is, if you had meant to push the quote button on Golden's reply but instead pressed the downvote on ranger_12's reply, I'm at a loss for words, and can't really help beyond saying that any of these reputation buttons can be removed in the same manner they were applied -- click on a 'heart' and it sticks, click it again and it goes away, likewise for up/downvotes.

What I meant by the quote thing is that my first reply in this thread was meant to be towards Golden. 

The downvote was indeed intentional and I did not mean it in an awful way. I don’t have and never have had an issue with ranger, he has always been chill towards me so I would have no reason to dislike him, I simply just didn’t agree with what he said. I apologise that it kinda threw the topic of this thread off the table, not my intention. 

However if downvoting will be caught with a reaction like this I won’t use it anymore, I personally didn’t see an issue with it but either way I will use it more wisely or not at all.

• VG Seal of Approval 1
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, ranger_12 said:

If you would re-read what he actually said, he meant as nice as it would be for people to be able to upgrade. Most can't because it's simply too expensive for some to invest money in a PC when they have bills to pay, mouths to feed, etc. In essence, he was saying that is an unrealistic suggestion for most people. (Not to mention cheeky considering how tight money is for most of us in the midst of a pandemic, so I guess that means I'm a bit cheeky as well.)

In reality you said the same thing I did, not Connor.

I see why he downvoted your comment. You read, but didn't really read, then posted a hasty reply that was out of context.

It could have been avoided.

That's all I got on this one.

• VG Seal of Approval 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Most people here seem to instinctively consider the Reputation System something that is more used in the positive rather than the negative, in that negative reputation is reserved for abusive, disruptive, or particularly disrespectful replies or use of the forums.  Unwritten, but certainly seems to be the 'flow' over the years.

For that reason, respected members (myself included) may view such causal use of the 'downvote' feature in the manner you (and rarely others before you) have done as a bit petulant, especially when it's just dropped like a hot mic with no accompanying reply that explains the disdain and/or reason for such seemingly vehement disagreement with said persons post.

That being said, mistakes happen - shit happens.  But, the thing is, if you had meant to push the quote button on Golden's reply but instead pressed the downvote on ranger_12's reply, I'm at a loss for words, and can't really help beyond saying that any of these reputation buttons can be removed in the same manner they were applied -- click on a 'heart' and it sticks, click it again and it goes away, likewise for up/downvotes.

Whatever, it's really no big deal, but it may give the wrong impression to people, like saying something about personality or character, when tossing around downvotes for seemingly 'weird' reasons that only confuse the person on the receiving end.... like a "kick" from PR COOP without a reason or prior warning.

It's not a problem but its like for example i don't like you hair cut so i come here and give you negative votes for it ;)  that's what happened. that's why i replied ;) 

• VG Seal of Approval 2