Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Squad VG server

ranger_12

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KilRoy- said:

Is there a trial account to test out squad, before purchase of license? Currently satisfied with PR. Tbh I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just play PR as a hobby. It explains, why despite the years of playing PR I never really achieve a high stat in kills or score. I just play out of fun.

You either buy Squad on steam and own it, or don't play it. However if you buy it, but don't like it, steam will issue a refund for any game that is requested within 14 days of the purchase, and has been played less than 2 hours.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, KilRoy- said:

Thank you.  Either than graphics or it's unreal engine, compared to PR, can you please comment on which provides a better experience, PR or squad?

It's really hard to tell. It's heavily play style based opinion. Best way to find out is if you just play them both.

Although PR is far more teamwork heavy compared to Squads current state (previously required far more teamwork) and PRs maps are much larger than Squads. PR also has A LOT more assets than Squad, only downside to PR is of course it's not nearly as popular as Squad in terms of player base :( But PR basically has everything Squad has other than a few quality of life differences which is to be expected when comparing a 2004 mod to a modern title.

• Upvote 1

I would say that SQUAD has the style and feel of PR, while remaining it's own game that is more along the lines of a game "heavily inspired by" rather than a direct evolution, but maybe that's just the weight of the previous engine limitations being lifted due to the UE base that SQUAD is built on.  There are things in SQUAD that are better than PR, and there are things in PR that are better than SQUAD (no COOP mode, had to mention that).

I like that the Score Board is mostly useless during the match, especially for evaluating yourself and how you've been doing that match or how many kills you got.  I kept trying to look at it to try to confirm kills after-the-fact, but it doesn't register your kills to the board until the end of the match, so I kept thinking I was a shit-shot, but actually did ghost more than a couple of the guys I pegged during the engagements in the match.

The learning curve doesn't directly translate, either, and there are similarities but also plenty of new flow and meta to get the hang of.  We've been all over the board this year, maybe if/when our SQUAD server becomes a "thing", we will be able to direct gameplay the way we have with our PR COOP Server and encourage greater cross-squad communication and coordination.  FTR, the way we play/host PR COOP is far more involved than most any other PR COOP server *ever*, and that is something unique.  Most people just wanna run and gun 'blueberry style' in PR COOP, and we turn it into a cooperative push more similar to deployment than most people would normally expect out of COOP.  We could do that for our SQUAD server, too, it just takes a bit of dedication and time... and folks who enjoy spending time on the server whether there are 3 other players or 30.

Just know that it is priced closer to a premium AAA game, yet is still a WIP though greater than 90% functional and bugs are few and far between - and that's a hard pill to swallow when you could anticipate playing it infrequently or just to "try out".  Totally playable, tons of fun, killer graphics by comparison to PR, and you will forget very fast that it's still technically in BETA.  But it is NOT Project Reality.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, KilRoy- said:

Thank you.  Either than graphics or it's unreal engine, compared to PR, can you please comment on which provides a better experience, PR or squad?

I will say that, after nearly 16 years of playing Project Reality, and maybe 2 or 3 years of Squad. I can only say that Project Reality offers a far greater amount of content and variance compared to Squad.

If you want to experience a game similar to PR that has the eye candy most are privy to these days, Squad is good. I like Squad, but personally, until they catch up or exceed the amount of maps, assets, factions, weapons, IR imaging, and.. God forbid.. Proper CAS. PR will always hold a greater value, especially considering it's free, still regularly receives updates, and has a dedicated community attached to it like a seimese twin.

Alas, I'm biased and taking into consideration Project Reality has been a near daily routine in my life, for almost half my life, it will always hold a special place in my heart. A lot of great, fond memories that I will bring with me to the grave. 

Oh, and despite my... Surly temperament, I have made more than a few lasting friendships, here at VG and else where on PR. I'm proud to call it my home away from home, so to speak.

EDIT: I feel the need to clarify the statement above, what I mean is, Squad isn't as tightly-knit as PR. In the sense that, it simply hasn't been around long enough to develope a cult-like following like PR has amassed. PR is from a different time. A simpler time. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Golden said:

Proper CAS

Oh thats a great topic! Originally they included rotary and fixed wing assets (CAS and CAP) in their Kickstarter roadmap (how I love that term...), as seen here: https://imgur.com/a/HO1DZ and here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offworldindustries/squad/posts/1272444.

A little down the line OWI (the devs) scrapped plans for fixed wing aircraft due to concerns of 'muh realism' since maps are way to small to offer a beliveable experience with fast moving jets (I am paraphrasing here).

Since the game officially ended their early access phase and went 1.0 we can just hope that they will add CAS helis in as a free content patch, rather than a payed expansion. I don't want to sound entitled and do not request them to work on the implementation but interest in the game is pretty low for me at this state because the best aspects of PR - combined arms teamwork - is something Squad just can't do well.

I love the gunplay, the graphics and the sound engineering they worked on quite hard, but yet I am still drawn back to PR because in the end - for me - gameplay > graphics.

TLDR: The moment I can laze a Bradley on Yerkovia and a player controlled SU25 launches a laser guided missile on it I will be happy. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, =VG= keed said:

Since the game officially ended their early access phase and went 1.0 we can just hope that they will add CAS helis in as a free content patch, rather than a payed expansion.

This game will never get a paid expansion, unless it's cosmetics (and even then they're pushing it) because it simply wouldn't work and definitely would not get any good feedback. They should and probably will only ever push free content... I would LOVE real CAS and I hope too that they add helis.