Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Need help deciding....

=VG= Connor

So I am currently torn between 3 games; Arma 3, Post Scriptum or Hell Let Loose. 

Now I understand they’re all very different in there own ways but I want opinions from people who have played these games. Whats good and bad about them? How do they compare (if at all)? and are they worth the money? all currently on sale which is why I want one.

Anyway thanks, hope to hear from you!

5 hours ago, =VG= l3RY4N said:

Arma 3: Good moddability (there is a shit ton of mods already out there), sometime janky controls, wide range of vehicles, weapons and equipment, loads of players and servers available, can be laggy (not necessarily because of your specs but mainly cause of servers), giant ass maps

Post Scriptum: like squad but ww2, if you have played squad its almost the same thing. does its best to stay realistic (weapon handling does feel that way atleast), Vehicle controls are as expected but the turret has to be hurled around using the keyboard not via mouse, pretty standard controls for an fps, quite a few players but most of the time it looks like this:
Populated servers are full and the rest is either empty or only a handful of players are on them
playerbase tends to have mic but not everyone uses it, more teamplay compared to hell let loose
squads a fixed into: Infantry, armor, logistic; which makes the asset claiming stuff pretty easy unlike squad

Hell Let Loose: Its more arcade-y than post scriptum (weapon handling feels that way), i think vehicle controls are like in post scriptum (not too sure havent played in a while), smaller maps compared to post scriptum, there is a resource management aspect to the game where teams have to preserve their ammo, fuel or manpower to avoid loosing (the team who has more territory has more resources, resources will be needed to build stuff like AT guns or use the artiliery back in main base, fuel for vehicles etc.), playerbase tends to go lone wolf-ing but there are players willing to do some teamplay with communication

EDIT: forgot to mention only arma 3 has planes you can fly.

TL;DR ignoring server poppulation and playerbase:

Arma 3 for mods, giant ass maps and the ability to customize your experience

Post Scriptum for ww2 firefight action and more realistic approach (compared to HLL)

Hell Let Loose for a slightly more arcade-y ww2 firefight action

Okay, so I think I'm leaning towards Arma/HLL. Although I enjoy Squad gameplay, and would like it in a WW2 setting, I want something new. Plus I have always wanted to play Arma, especially due to the flight physics, looks super fun!

Thanks a lot for the input, super helpful! Maybe I will see you on the Arma Server ;)

Yeah i suggest arma 3 between all of those. Even though its kind of buggy sometimes, we can still have fun. Did i forgot to mention it has jets/ planes/ helicopters/ boats/ cars/ tanks/ trucks and on top of all shooting wildlife is a thing (bunny killer) ? 

Only problem is the dlcs. If you want arma 3 you will need apex, since most of the servers now require it... dont know exactly why. Bundle 1 and 2 are actually the best dlcs the game has. The 3rd is a bit meh in my opinion. 

Here is a link to the bundle 1 and 2 combined, its called Essentials: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10866/Arma_3_DLC_Essentials/

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, =VG= .Blizzard. said:

Yeah i suggest arma 3 between all of those. Even though its kind of buggy sometimes, we can still have fun. Did i forgot to mention it has jets/ planes/ helicopters/ boats/ cars/ tanks/ trucks and on top of all shooting wildlife is a thing (bunny killer) ? 

Only problem is the dlcs. If you want arma 3 you will need apex, since most of the servers now require it... dont know exactly why. Bundle 1 and 2 are actually the best dlcs the game has. The 3rd is a bit meh in my opinion. 

Here is a link to the bundle 1 and 2 combined, its called Essentials: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10866/Arma_3_DLC_Essentials/

Yeah I heard a while ago that it's best to get Apex, and I did that. Bought Bundle with it, played a bit today too, tried Warlord gamemode which was kinda fun I guess but not what I want from Arma. Not sure where to look for good servers since 90% are just Altis Life :( Maybe you know any? Other than the great VG of course!

77th JSOC good coop and no mods required. Cool guys also. But a bit boring at first. Altis invade and annex. Both servers are almost full most of the time.

https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/116.202.215.29:2302/

https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/116.202.215.29:2402/

I ll be working on a training mission soon (hopefully this month; I m quite busy these days). So we can have our first platoon ready for any kind of mission. 

After the training mission i will continue my campaign DayNo* Operation Slayer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, =VG= .Blizzard. said:

77th JSOC good coop and no mods required. Cool guys also. But a bit boring at first. Altis invade and annex. Both servers are almost full most of the time.

https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/116.202.215.29:2302/

https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/116.202.215.29:2402/

I ll be working on a training mission soon (hopefully this month; I m quite busy these days). So we can have our first platoon ready for any kind of mission. 

After the training mission i will continue my campaign DayNo* Operation Slayer. 

Wow thanks this is exactly what I was looking for! By any chance will VG be like this too?

Oh also do you have a Unit that I could join?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Connorsponner01 said:

Wow thanks this is exactly what I was looking for! By any chance will VG be like this too?

While not impossible in the future, there's no focus on our ARMA III server right now to become highly populated. 77th JSOC, au contraire, runs an entire clan ecosystem around Arma with events, many active admins etc. They have a very nice, teamwork-based server like Blizz pointed out.

Do note though that 77th JSOC is very strict. Literally waiting in line, strict hierarchy, and certain commanders are even such doofuses that they won't reply to you unless you address them in the exact way they want :P . That said, there's an amazing grade of teamwork to be found. The 77th JSOC servers always run Invade And Annex, which is a mission system that spawns a main and side objectives. The main objective (Area Of Operations) has a few tactical targets and enemies. Take them down and the AO is over, and it will respawn in a new place shortly after.

While Arma 3 has a VAST range of vehicles, you won't use many on that server. It's highly infantry-tailored gameplay. There are 4 helicopters, 1 jet, and 1 armored unit max. Armor can only serve as support and must stay out of the AO until called in by inf, which RARELY ever happens. Command can flat-out refuse to issue armor squad and then you're out of luck. 

It's a very fun way of play in itself, but bear in mind you will be waiting and walking for very long times. Depending on the commander, it's not uncommon to wait 20 minutes between deployments or to be stuck in base for half an hour before you can be sent out. If this is your style of play though, there's no better game and place than Arma 3 and the 77th JSOC at the moment.

• Upvote 2

We definitely are working on adding new life to the Arma 3 sector at VG, it's hard when a lot of the tech guys are scattered - but it's just a matter of time.  We plan to run Vanilla as well as Modded server(s), and hopefully get in some regular events, if only monthly to start.  The game takes patience, on the part of players, and those who get technical designing missions.  Attention to detail is key, and mistakes are compounded when a whole server of players is standing around scratching their asses while the mission host tries to jostle things into a working position as designed.  ZEUS helps - like a Dungeon Master, they can on-the-fly add elements/enemies/gear to a map in action, and help keep things fresh if the original mission they designed doesn't play out exactly as planned.

Takes time and effort to build something like this up, and a few good men willing to populate the server(s) and get them going. :coffee: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, =VG= Acro1 said:

While not impossible in the future, there's no focus on our ARMA III server right now to become highly populated. 77th JSOC, au contraire, runs an entire clan ecosystem around Arma with events, many active admins etc. They have a very nice, teamwork-based server like Blizz pointed out.

Do note though that 77th JSOC is very strict. Literally waiting in line, strict hierarchy, and certain commanders are even such doofuses that they won't reply to you unless you address them in the exact way they want :P . That said, there's an amazing grade of teamwork to be found. The 77th JSOC servers always run Invade And Annex, which is a mission system that spawns a main and side objectives. The main objective (Area Of Operations) has a few tactical targets and enemies. Take them down and the AO is over, and it will respawn in a new place shortly after.

While Arma 3 has a VAST range of vehicles, you won't use many on that server. It's highly infantry-tailored gameplay. There are 4 helicopters, 1 jet, and 1 armored unit max. Armor can only serve as support and must stay out of the AO until called in by inf, which RARELY ever happens. Command can flat-out refuse to issue armor squad and then you're out of luck. 

It's a very fun way of play in itself, but bear in mind you will be waiting and walking for very long times. Depending on the commander, it's not uncommon to wait 20 minutes between deployments or to be stuck in base for half an hour before you can be sent out. If this is your style of play though, there's no better game and place than Arma 3 and the 77th JSOC at the moment.

Yeah I noticed the waiting time when I first hopped on. And indeed seem very strict, which I guess is good, just a little scary when you are knew haha. I did join another coop server that was pretty much a sandbox to be honest, but I got an idea of the gamemode and how the objectives work so it was actually pretty nice. I can see that an event with dedicated players would be amazing, so I am definitely looking forward to future events and would be more than happy to help try to get people on!

Thanks for the replies guys, apreciate the answers and help, means I won't embarrass myself TOO much!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Connorsponner01 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, apreciate the answers and help, means I won't embarrass myself TOO much!

Embarrassment is just a feeling you get. It does help, otherwise we wouldnt be gaining experience and we would get stuck at the noob level. Trust me, the best way to learn is to fail. But you will do just fine, i m sure of it! :drinks:

• Like 1