Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Who's getting this?

=VG= BLuDKLoT

2 hours ago, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

Sem I still haven't tried VR. I'm looking to buy something tho. What do you recommend? 

Aw, dude - I don't know if I want that responsibility... it's finicky tech right now... No good "standard".  So much should be considered before doing it, from the comfortability of the actual headset, to the tracking systems it uses, even the controllers they use (I prefer the Oculus Touch, I've tried the Vive 'wands' and didn't like them, I hear they have new ones now tho) -- also, these things tax the shit out of even good graphics cards, where they may run solid FPS, but the "latency" may jump around - higher than 20ms and it makes you literally sea-sick.  I know you got a kick-ass Nvidia 1080 GFX card, but depending on the game, that's actually not far above entry-level VR (like, it would be fine to play a VR game, but say goodbye to recording/streaming at the same time... maybe... it's a good guess...)

*Definitely don't expect BMS in VR, no matter what you read - the DIY methods are full of compromises and generally suck ass for any real sim flight, near zero situational awareness, can't read gauges/displays well, can't see distant aircraft so dogfighting is straight out....

So... if it's something you are looking to get into, start watching good review videos and 'what you should know first' type videos about VR (I haven't kept up this past year, there are a few contenders now, but with "new" comes "new" base hardware requirements).

I'm on a new $600 Nvidia RTX 2070 Super, and finally I can jam all the setting up in VR, and everything runs at proper FPS and Latency at 10-11ms for no sea-sick feeling, and can record/stream at the same time if needed... on the old GTX 970, I could barely run the games at just above low-graphics settings, and couldn't dream of recording/streaming at same time... the 1080 is literally the very next generation of GFX that came after it, and we're just about to see Nvidia launch their 3000 series cards (which will drop the price of all current 2000 series cards like my own, once they come out).

Hard to recommend what VR to purchase when it's sometimes coupled with the need for a better GFX card at the same time depending on what you plan to use the VR for (single player, no recording/streaming? or playing+recording and/or streaming?).

It's not even easy to get a VR headset right now, COVID spiked sales and stock is very low for all entertainment hardware in most places, so you have time to look around, and base it on your budget, too... I have the original Oculus Rift (CV1), first commercial version that was released.  I'm wary to upgrade until I see something actually worth it, where all the things I didn't like about this are fixed... screendoor effect, poor resolution and pixels-per-inch, and with controllers on par with the Oculus Touch controls I have now...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 19/06/2020 at 3:17 AM, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

Ya sem I read lots of reviews and confused myself out of buying it lol 

Just make your own : )  VR headset  : ) 

You will need 2 smartphones and one scuba mask, a low profile freediving mask will keep the phones closer to your eyeballs : )  and some silicone sealant. Fill the mask with clear sex lubricant ( XY jelly works best)  for full gaming  immersion.    

Star wars squadrons looks good as an old Elite veteran i still have love for space flight sims.  I never managed to get the space stations to blow 4 missiles  dropped in the door + energy bomb + military lasers and crashing my ship into it as i jettisoned in the escape pod. i wana take out one of the big ships in star wars to get closure LOL 

220px-Oculus-Rift-CV1-Headset-Back.jpg

45eaa56a0b8d499afa742518d5a64ea4.jpg

• Like 2