Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

My old "Cities: Skylines" city New Bedlam screenshots

=VG= SemlerPDX

I recently uploaded pics of a city I built over several weeks in 2018 or 2019, in the Cities: Skylines game, tons of mods - wanted to play with the mass transit stuff and traffic flow, so of course had to build a big ass city first and the infrastructure so I could have traffic problems to solve.

Started out smart with a huge triple roundabout for the main highway connection, even ran tunnels under the freeway to keep traffic flowing at high speeds straight to the roundabouts.  They all have tolls, but residents can get from the south to north city sectors with via an underpass that also connects to a direct underground route from North City to South City.  That made things way easier than my first city with very bad in/out traffic.  Still wanted to go for a mostly American style grid fashion for the city, but with those roundabouts at key locations where the maximum amount of traffic generally piled up before.  Solved a ton of problems, wish my own city's on-ramps and such were like this, always backs up on the streets they pour out onto...

Ended up at the max population cap way too fast, using tons of mods for various things right down to controlling the street lights at major intersections, roads with dedicated bike and bus lanes, and some nice subway routes to fill the gap.

Haven't been back there in awhile but came across the screenshots and put together a bunch of the good ones... even has a shot of the city before everything went to skyscrapers.  Pretty fun game, just wish there wasn't a population cap cuz it would be neat to fill the map until the game slowed to a slideshow rather than having that forced on us.  Game engine limit for sure.  Still, very fun, cool to see the little bits develop, all the details and minor stuff that make up the bigger picture:

1dLeGpn.png

PlMEMPK.png

05WjmMC.jpg

mNGFjNA.jpg

GI2afIL.png

dlKmLWQ.jpg

AGWV2Rd.png

DHzx7hA.jpg

yqXtoMH.jpg

hjaBfCQ.jpg
↑ Traffic Congestion overlay for New Bedlam - very free flowing due to custom street light settings at major intersections, forced one way and/or turning lanes, and multiple mass transit systems including buses and subways going to and from the major ports of entry.  Heavier traffic noted by deeper red, but as mostly green, it flows well for a max population city, was worse in this pic when the city was smaller, oddly enough but was before some key editing of certain routes and even toll both lane optimization for commercial/residential traffic.

• Upvote 3

On 4/21/2020 at 6:10 AM, =VG= Vanillapop said:

Traffic makes absolutely no sense in this game, mostly due too the commercials and services provided, like there are hundreds of garbage trucks moving around my city all throughout the day. And the industrial guys are sending out more then a 100 vehicles on the streets every day 

Yea, you gotta mod the game quite a lot to have any proper control over such things.  My city is district based, and I use extensive pathing on certain roads to prioritize traffic flow, not just well placed one-way streets, or lights at major intersections, but down to which types of vehicles can travel in which lanes in certain areas, the time a turn signal is lit and based on other factors, where buses can travel, etc.  With the major industrial districts closer to the highway interchange, I have a majority of my traffic segregated between the residential and commercial traffic in the area with the skyscrapers and the industrial traffic in the North.  Each district has everything it needs without relying on the services or facilities of another neighboring district, schools, emergency & police, transit, parks, death & garbage, etc...

If you have local garbage facilities in each district, you can minimize the additional traffic created when constant hauling of trash is required, and also funneling that traffic along a main route to it's endpoint, too.  Mods can add a lot of control to roads and traffic, but it's a headache to go through the process - I spent hours and hours reading and reviewing the mods I'd like to add, with my system memory (RAM) being the limiting factor at 16GB.  Wonder what it will be like now that I have 32GB of much faster RAM...

• Upvote 1