ATTN PR ADMINS: PR COOP Server is on a NEW VERSION - Join the server at least once to register your new ID in server files, then send message to m823us or SemlerPDX and we'll restore it to the Admins list.       (dismiss this message by clicking the "X")  →

Hi,

This message is for the US guys. A friend of mine, Romanian native, now US citizen, told me that in the US, people infected with COVID 19 dont get medical care if they don't have medical insurance. I find this very hard to believe. So I'm asking you, our american brothers: is this true?!

Stay safe,

ZT

It's circumstantial. But most urgent care facilities will turn you away if you lack medical coverage. 

If you end up in a hospital emergency room. They have no choice but to care for you if your life is in danger. However, they will indeed happily stick you with several thousands of dollars in medical bills.

In short, yes and no.

this is hardcore.
In Germany it is almost the same, with the small but important difference that you must have health insurance. ie even if you live on the street you theoretically have one, but most homeless people don't care about it. and that makes it similar... but the normal citizen must have one and cannot avoid it.

we also have a lot of infected with 120k but so far we can handle it well and till  the end of the month we will probably start to open the first schools and shops.

I can only wish you the best of luck and hope that all Americans in this community will be fine. 

//Edit: and of course all non-Americans too!

Edited by =VG= 0100011000101

1. A federal law called the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) requires almost all hospitals to provide treatment to all patients who need emergency medical treatment regardless of whether the patients have health insurance. Read on to learn more about this law and how it works.

As long as the patient goes onto hospital property, including the parking lot, sidewalk, driveway, or other areas within 250 yards of the main hospital buildings and requests emergency treatment, EMTALA requires the hospital to provide emergency treatment.

Even if a patient who is on hospital property does not specifically request emergency treatment, EMTALA requires the hospital to provide emergency treatment if a prudent lay person would believe, based on the patient’s appearance or behavior, that the patient needs emergency examination or treatment.

Source: https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/medical-malpractice/uninsured-patient-denied-emergency-treatment.html

2. Currently there aren't enough testing kits available for COVID-19/Coronavirus in anywhere on Earth. This is the reason why many people who has symptoms of COVID-19 aren't getting tested if they're considered as "low-risk." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lists following groups of people should be prioritized for COVID-19 testing. If you're not considered as an individual in a priority group, then you will not be tested regardless of whether you have a medical insurance or not: (Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-criteria.html)

PRIORITY 1

- Hospitalized patients

- Symptomatic healthcare workers

PRIORITY 2

- Patients 65 years of age and older with symptoms

- Patients with underlying conditions with symptoms

- First responders with symptoms

PRIORITY 3

- Critical infrastructure workers with symptoms

- Individuals who do not meet any of the above categories with symptoms

- Health care workers and first responders

- Individuals with mild symptoms in communities experiencing high COVID-19 hospitalizations

• Like 2

Known a few people who got it where I live and were told not to come to the hospital unless their breathing was near stopped.