Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Wifi

=VG= BLuDKLoT

Hey guys, I'm trying to move my pc to bedroom but now I can't get on wifi. In the living room I can connect, but 10 feet away it doesn't detect any signals. I believe it's the mobo wifi built in, if I get a USB wifi adapter will it catch my wifi network? Thx. Blud 

Probably not - it's more likely the modem.  To many walls or a wet wall with piping can easily block WiFi.  If it's a cheap rental modem from Comcast, or it's physical location is butt up against a dense joist or wet wall with water pipes, there can be nothing wrong with your PC but the modem itself.

Back in 2017 I paid nearly $200 for an Arris modem with strong WiFi signal and 4 internet cable ports out the back so I could stop using a router and also get good modern WiFi broadcasting.  But again, sometimes it's just a matter of putting the WiFi modem/router in a better location.

I have a tiny house on the property of a larger house, and I can't get WiFi out here - I bit the bullet and bought a long ethernet cable and ran two hard lines out here.  I feel for ya, pain in the ass WiFi is a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

ok, well I'm probably going to try it anyway. Maybe it will catch the signal, if not I'll look at routers. But I was really hoping to get it running! If I had like 50 feet of cat 5 cable I could run a line. I've already placed the routers in the hallway, but it still didn't see them. It saw my 2.4 signal, but it had one bar and it wouldn't let me connect to it. it's always something lol.  

Oh how maddening!  Yea, one year, I bought 50 feet of outdoor direct burial Cat 5 Ethernet cable and ran it out here, then I ran a second one so I can have my laptop online in case my PC breaks down, etc.

A man can only tolerate so much bullshit. ;) 
I will say that since I got this Modem that has a built in router and WiFi, it's way stronger than the cheapo-comcast modem, but was 4 hours of hell working with Comcast to install a 'user owned' modem instead of using the one they sent. but again, it don't reach everywherer

• Like 1

I'm so lucky that i decided to install in every room except kitchen and bathrooms cat 7 cables. I never trusted the wireless shit. Caused to many Problems and pingspikes.

Radiosignal distortion can be caused by many metall pillars in your house and wood really block radiosignals. On work, we was forced to install more hotspots because our highracks was full with pallets and electronic parts. and our RF handguns lost connection.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just use RJ45/ethernet cable. Always the best option. 

For using via the electrical line, not really a good choice but it's more of no choice. Did use it before but the speed is kinda slow despite the manufacturer do indicate of so & so speed on which bandwidth. Kinda do lag at times as it's not entirely stable.

For powerline netwrok: You're require to buy a set which have at least 2 units. 1 unit will be connected to your main router via RJ45 & plug in at the wall socket. Than the remaining unit will be place on ur bedroom wall socket. But if the main is down, the unit that is plug in at the bedroom won't be able to bridge the connection.

For me, I use my spare router & set it up as access point & place at location where the rooms will be able to receive signal. Or u can swap to mesh which manufacturer are rolling out (but more expensive).

TBH, my house have 3 wifi connections. Main (no 5G bandwidth) , Aceess Point (which do have 5G bandwidth) & Powerline Wifi (back up if my AP goes down). But i use my AP connection more as the Powerline is pretty slow

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

↑ So true  -- I had TP-LINK (and will send it to BLuD if his other methods don't work)

Let's be clear:  @=VG= BLuDKLoT if you are planning on watching Netflix or just browsing the internet from bedroom, TP-LINK speeds would be sufficient.  But if you're talking about setting up your gaming PC in that room via this signal, or even WiFi, I gotta say that it will not be sufficient for what we all do in PC gaming!! You'll have a shit time with lag, latency, and high ping due to the way PLS and WiFi can be interrupted by everything from noise due to high-draw home appliances or not-so-top-notch home wiring, even solar activity and weather.

For PC Gaming, and this goes for everyone, the best experience is achieved with a hard line ethernet cable going from the gaming PC to the modem, preferably not even going through a router first, with all gaming traffic directed at the internal IP address of the Gaming PC for minimum latency and lag (port forwarding, not triggering).

Can't stress that enough -- the reason we all can game on servers all over the world these days instead of being relegated to those game servers in our own region of the world is due to the high speeds we all enjoy through wired high speed internet connections.  We have servers in USA (a private VG server running a cluster of ARK Survival Evolved hosted by =VG= Airbats, and our Falcon BMS Server) but our primary server is located in Germany (at a quarter of the cost a USA based-server would run us).  They also have higher speeds and less congested traffic lines making it a perfect central location for our gaming server.

But again, this only works well if we use the most stable and fastest speed internet our home can provide, at least 5Mbps upload and 10-20Mbps download speeds, and by using old, cheap or poorly configured routers, WiFi, PLS (TP-LINK style power line signal internet repeating), or god forbid DSL / Satellite internet, we further limit that up to and including the realm of shitty 2005 internet speeds not sufficient for this level of PC gaming we're all used to.
:hi: 

• Upvote 2

I would also use a cable for gaming and server applications ... but the technology is also improving. I can play pr over 1mbit with my mobile and have a ping between 30 and 60 ^^
on the other hand i have colleagues playing on their laptops and their network cables are so broken and worn out that wifi would probably be more stable ^^

maybe i would just try a wifi repeater and if that doesn't get it better take it back to the dealer.

3 hours ago, =VG= 0100011000101 said:

maybe i would just try a wifi repeater and if that doesn't get it better take it back to the dealer.

Nope.  Wired only for proper PC gaming as noted in the reply above.

Also, he's already laid the wire, good to go. :drinks:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, =VG= 0100011000101 said:
wifi repeater

Wifi Repeater/extender is also similar to the Powerline. Did test on those as well. However there's a disadvantage to that. If the Repeater detects the current signal too close, it will not extend your network which happens to mine even if the signal is merely 1 bar which require me to shift the main router for just a few cm away in order for the repeater to be able to extend the network. Kinda weird, but oh well.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cruizer said:

Wifi Repeater/extender is also similar to the Powerline.

hö? powerline and wireless are completely different things. and with both you get completely different results with each device. but it is true that some routers and repeaters have bad antennas and poor management and that such nonsense happens. if you are lucky you can reduce the transmission power of your router and then it will find the repeater better. Another option would be to open a second wifi if the repeater can do a 2nd wifi ...

but wifi is out of the question anyway, and of course cable is always the better way.

Well... like mentioned, I did test using both the Wifi Repeater/extender as well as powerline. Both seem to have poor network stability. Worst still, tried it just for Youtube & it keep buffering every few minutes.

That's y I set a permanent AP using only RJ45 directly from the main router (more like routed to the gigabit network switch to reduce cable cluster). At least my network for gaming is pretty stable despite having a high ping in PR in the past [but lately my ping reduces by alot (idk what my ISP did to the network infrastructure)]

Anyways, i do carry TP-Link products hence i was able to test it out. Downside, too many models which i cannot test all of it.

5 hours ago, Nexwiiz said:

move your modem

tear down your walls

get 50 ft of ethernet cable, most reliable

just dont get a repeater they cut your speed in half if u want to game

change isp

Sorry, but I can't take anything you say seriously with an Avatar like that. :tatice_03: