Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Considering building a new PC around my new RTX 2070 Super...

=VG= SemlerPDX

(hidden the first intel concept build - final build is the Ryzen 3900X listed below)

spoilerIMG2415905122018.PNG

(link on PCPartPicker: PCPartPicker Part List )

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i9-9900KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $489.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler $179.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $246.00 @ B&H
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $89.99 @ B&H
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $89.99 @ B&H
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $169.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate BarraCuda Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $299.99 @ Adorama
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  
Case NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Thermaltake 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan $13.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.95 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2014.80
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-11 22:52 EDT-0400  

Thoughts? Ideas? Gonna have to pretty much finance it over about a year ;) so it won't be paid off until 2021, but I'm thinking it's worth it - PC gaming is pretty much the only hobby I have that costs any money, only takes gas to go camping (and ice... and ammo :MULITRI_02: )

So, gonna rebuild my old PC with it's Intel i5 4690K and EVGA nVidia GTX 970 SSC, and RAID-0 120GB (240GB) OS Drives, and a 2TB 7200RPM HDD -- will sell used in USA to someone looking for a cheap used entry level gaming PC... should be able to recover some costs there (otherwise I'd reuse the case and PSU, and have a bunch of parts I'm not gonna use).

UPDATE:  Final Build purchased - Adjusted parts list (including carryover parts from current build listed at $0.00):

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor Purchased For $418.89
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $149.99
Thermal Compound ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 8 g Thermal Paste Purchased For $11.90
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $379.99
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory Purchased For $109.99
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory Purchased For $109.99
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (already owned) $0.00
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $169.99
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $169.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $49.99
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (already owned) $0.00
Storage Seagate BarraCuda Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $299.99
Video Card Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card Purchased at  $369.99 (*in Nov2019 using $200 rebate)
Case NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $89.99
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $121.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (already owned) $0.00
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 800-3000RPM 158.5 CFM 140 mm Fan Purchased For $27.95
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 800-3000RPM 158.5 CFM 140 mm Fan Purchased For $27.95
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 750-3000RPM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan Purchased For $29.99
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (already owned) $0.00 
  Total $2196.53  **(in new parts -- or $2566.52 w/ GFX card)
  Edited from Generated List from PCPartPicker 2020-04-01 19:14 EDT-0400

Estimated Wattage used range:  142W - 538W

• Upvote 3

• CPU: 8-Bit-CMOS
  • 4,19 MHz
  • RAM: 8 kB
  • GPU-Ram: 8 kB
  • LCD; 4,7 × 4,3 cm/1,9 × 1,7 Zoll  160 × 144 Pixel;

Gameboy.jpg

I can't help you because I'm too jealous...;p

that's pretty well chosen. So here, too, of course, the note you may find at amd cheaper alternatives or more power at the same price. but of course again depending on what you want to do but amd put intel pretty under pressure right now...

but generally a great system. I would take it immediately.

• Like 2

Sometimes I'm jealous that some items is only available in the US market but not in Asia market. Unfortunately the local distributors over here don't carry some of the brands or some even stop bringing in.

Y Thermaltake PSU? Would opt for Seasonic, EVGA brands instead. Anyways, it's your choice tho. Unless u want the Thermaltake bling2 PSU or worse, Asus OLED display PSU

I guess ur planning to OC that Intel F up series CPU. 5.2GHz? If u manage to win the silicon lottery to get there

• Upvote 2

One of my customer all out ROG PC. Hmm... ;)

Maybe u can follow if ur a die hard Asus fan.

He even ask me whether i bring in Secretlab Gaming Chair. Im like, woahhh... dude. That's an exclusive brand not for us retailers that can carry it. Require to email dircetly to Secretlab for exclusive business rights to be the the official reseller for them.

strix_extreme_agaming_pc_1566834498_e21d666d_progressive.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit said:

I have a comparable AMD build in Excel... believe it or not, it about equals out in that the feature-similar Motherboard for Ryzen that i'd want is about $70-90 more than this Z390, where the comparable Ryzen CPU is $70-100 less than the i9 9900KF...  Since I'm more familiar with Intel particularly with regards to technical features I'm used to even down to not having to learn new methods for overclocking, I decided to "go with what I know" since the price difference wasn't as large as some YT vids or other builds would show.

If anyone has any good Motherboard recommendations for Ryzen, I'd love to look at them.  It's not "essential" to have 3x M.2 slots (even the 9900KF has 24 PCIe lanes, more than enough to run my GFX card at 16x along with a controller like Golden uses for 4th M.2), but I'd very much like it for the next ~5+ years of use.  Using all 3 on the Ultra version of the MoBo listed negates 3 of the 6 SATA ports, dropping the additional storage to 3 drives max - will use them for the 8TB and 4TB slow HDD's (5400RPM) and my old 500GB Samsung EVO SSD.  Was gonna put the OS on the 1TB M.2 and use the other two for Steam Libraries and swap folders/work flow folders to keep down throughput for rendering projects, etc.

My own fault if I take a monetary hit going Intel v. AMD, there's a few things I want, and it's not Enthusiast level but higher up the mid-level nonetheless.  If I was going to build a system like the one I have now, a lower-mid level gaming system, I'd save loads by going Ryzen.  But I'm shooting for the upper tier of the Mid level now, just to the edge of the start of Enthusiast, and I'm not seeing much price difference here Intel v. Ryzen.

For general reference, Golden's system would fall squarely in the Upper-Mid level of the highest level of gaming PC's (Enthusiast grade), where one of the only things between his system and the High level Enthusiast would be (wasted) money spent on an Intel i9 10980XE (barely any performance gain over Golden's Intel i9 9980XE) or Intel W-3175X at nearly twice the price, or perhaps the AMD TR 3960X or 3990X, also quite a bit higher or double the price.  My last system (current system when it had GTX 970 SSC) is a lower-level Mid Tier gaming PC.  Adding this 2070S takes so much load off the CPU for 3D gaming that it is now essentially mid-level Mid Tier but being CPU bound, can't keep up with certain modern compute tasks and falls short in a number of workstation and 3D gaming tasks despite the Haswell i5's excellent single-core performance (especially with my 4.2GHz/core overclock).

Any suggestions or recommendations are very much appreciated!!!  Thanks for the input guys! :drinks: 

(FTR, I'm poor as fuck, disabled and living on a shoestring, I got a rusty car and a tiny home, but playing PC games with you guys, running VG and doing all the technical stuff here is about the greatest fun I have in my life, so I don't mind going into debt for 15 months for something that will last 5 years - also really praying I can make back a good $400-500 by selling my old system on Craigslist or whatever)

• Upvote 1

...aaand I already feel like some kind of Intel fanboy for even writing what I did above... having re-read it, it just feels wrong knowing that the 3900X Ryzen is not only $70-90 cheaper than the i9 9900KF, but in most tasks 20-30% faster (or more) than it's Intel counterpart.  This is why it's gonna be a bit before I pull the trigger on this, been mocking up builds since last Halloween, and trying to push myself to a decision, but it's hell of a lot of money no matter how you slice that cake, and I certainly don't want to have wasted my money on something I could have chosen more wisely in the build like Ryzen 3900X instead of the 9900KF.  More research, more input, more time needed.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, X570 is still not really worth getting if consumer is not planning to get any Gen4 ssd &/or graphic card. Else it will be a money wastage as some B450 mb can handle the Ryzen 9 straight out of the box or try to get the X470 instead. This is what my recommendation for Ryzen mb. 

As consumer are practically paying more just for the Gen 4. Meanwhile NVIDIA RTX 2000 line-up is still using Gen3 as compared to RADEON RX new line-up. It maybe a gimmick for consumer to pay more or it might not be base on people's point of view. 

If i remember correctly base on brands on which X570 is better suited for OC on Ryzen 9;

Gigabyte: X570 AORUS Xtreme, X570 AORUS Master

Asus: ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO, ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming

MSI: X570 Godlike, X570 Unify, X570 ACE

Asrock: X570 Taichi, X570 Phantom Gaming X 

This is basically my opinion. Other may agree or disagree with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well if price is a concern the god damn 1tb SSD and the 8 TB HD should be more than enough. You could cut out those 2 500 GB and save yourself ~$190. 32 of ram is a shit load, I think that 16 would be fine and another 16 down the road if you need it. So another ~$120 saved. That would give you some nice space under 2,000 so you could get a new headset, mouse, keyboard, whatever.

• Upvote 1

Roger that.  I've done that before ... bought half the RAM to start, complete the set down the road.  The 2x 500GB's are actually for the crazy value they currently have, and for a steam library (5 of the games I play most often can fill up one of them easy, could use the other 500GB m.2 for the rest of the library of 5-30GB games of less crazy size) and mostly for those that have long load times.  The little crap games that really don't care can go anywhere.  I'm not insane, just considering a different level of storage than I've ever had. 

edit: Also a few of the games I play with >200 mods, i.e. City Skylines, KSP, maybe others in the future, fill up my current 16GB of RAM to the point of low overhead and having to limit the active mods I use, limit multi-tasking operations (recording/streaming while playing, etc.).  That's the reason I'd go for slower timings overall for higher capacity RAM in this case.

;) Cheers for the suggestions!

Or u could cut down to 1x Sata M.2 especially for O.S & games. Not much difference in game load time & booting up the system to windows.

While u can use NVMe for like your video rendering & etc as u probably need the NVMe speed to move large volume of storage.

Other than that it's more on a wastage if u have a budget limitation.

Red Dead Redemption 2 + GTA:V take up around 250GB... ARK Survival Evolved + ATLAS take up another 300GB, Arma 3 and DCS World add another 100GB, still haven't really gotten sick of Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War and play them from time to time (together a combined 165GB easy), and my Skyrim (with over 200 mods) at 86GB, and about the same same with my modded Fallout 4 start getting darn close to a terabyte for titles I'd like to stop using on my aging and slow as hell 5400RPM HDD, or even trying to fit a few on my 5 year old 500GB Sata SSD. (edit: also 250GB of Oculus VR titles)

You say loading times are not that different, but I've seen the real world comparisons in a number of titles I play on various drives and I'm happy to toss a little money at saving 30 seconds here or there, sometimes much less.  I know it's not gonna be like night and day, just another modest improvement.  Looking at $140 a month for 15 months, luckily at 0% interest.  Still not ready to do that, still checking out stuff.  That list of decent Ryzen motherboards is helpful, running through them, checking out user manuals, reviews, etc.  Thanks again

I prefer to watch/read reviews on mb teardown from reliable source as they always will tell what type of rectifier the mb uses, any doublers for the power phase & etc. It can be boring information to some people but for me, it's useful information so that i can recommend the proper mb for my customers as it's my duty as both a seller & a consumer (I basically love to OC all my system & use it as a scapegoat. Sometimes will do it for the lolz).

Maybe will plan on using liquid nitrogen (if i know where to get 1 in my country & proper knowledge of OC both the cpu & ram sub-timings). But for now, I'm still learning on how to manually OC the ram sub-timings which is kind of interesting as u can squeeze more performance of ur cpu. Also another information, I never X.M.P all my systems. I manually key in the frequency, Dram Voltages for now.

• Upvote 2

If I spent the same amount of money on a Ryzen 9 3900X system, tweaked a few things, I could end up with a crazy large amount of storage for my projects, with a full size backup drive (8TB at 5400RPM) just for peace of mind... Still would be around $140 a month for 15 months, which is just barely what I can afford.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $418.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $379.99 @ B&H
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $169.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $169.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $151.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate BarraCuda Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $299.99 @ Adorama
Case NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $121.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.95 @ Amazon
  Total $1750.71 (adjusted with 8TB drives removed)
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-12 22:42 EDT-0400  

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-1tb/p/N82E16820250088?Item=N82E16820250088&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=DD031420&cm_mmc=EMC-DD031420-_-EMC-031420-Index-_-InternalSSDs-_-20250088-S5A1A Currently on sale if you want to save a few bucks. $105.00. If you go for it and need the promo code for the discount or anything just pm me.

• Upvote 1

Very good deal on that SSD, unfortunately not looking for any SSD's at current (not SATA anyway).  If I was, I'd have gotten the Samsung 1TB's that were on sale for $90 this past Black Friday.  Best time of year for certain parts in USA!
I have a bunch of very useful SATA SSD's already; a couple 120GB's in RAID-0, a 250GB, and a 500GB - but gonna move up to the NVMe standard for this next build.  Will be at least 2 weeks before I do any purchasing, so plenty of time for consideration.

I got the R9 3900x with the B450 Mobo - Just didnt see the point in spending the 200 extra on a motherboard. Cut my costs considerably. I have no use for WI-FI on my motherboard and it saved a lot. As others have said 32gb of ram probably isnt needed unless you're going to be doing some pretty intensive hardcore work on the PC. 

That is a LOT of storage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@=VG= GazYea, I intend to do some pretty intensive hardcore work in that PC.  And the WiFi is not for the WiFi but the embedded BlueTooth chip inside it, basically I run BT for a bit of gear, currently using a PCIe card, but this motherboard version has that built in - check the I/O, too - insane - but I currently have 15 USB devices attached to my PC, with 4x USB 3.0 ports on a PCIe card - again, this crazy board eliminates the need for much of this.

But you are right about the storage -- 16TB is a bit much, and too expensive to replace every ~5 years.  I've pulled those two drives from the list, and placed the order for the rest of the parts.

I do need some kind of large dependable storage, but given that I don't trust any HDD past 5 years, and consider it unreliable as it approaches anywhere near that, I need to plan a storage solution for creating rolling backups of both NVMe drives as well as my personal storage drive (currently at 3TB).  But if I was to factor in having to re-purchase 16TB of storage every 5 years, increasing with years as needed, even with price/GB going down over time, it's not a very wise solution for a poor man.

I will probably just get a single 8TB 5400 HDD for my entire household and maybe even use an older computer around the house to setup a poor-man's NAS.  That would be the wise way to go -- then my family can also have scheduled backups to that drive.  And I can maybe even watch for sales and after one year, buy another 8TB into an external enclosure, and use that to backup the single-drive NAS for offsite backup.  Considered some kind of RAID setup for a simple home NAS, but I just don't use that much space and likely won't for years to come.  So I'll just go with a single drive backup, and single drive off-site backup (for reasons, offsite drive purchased one year after single drive "NAS")

Placed my order, parts will be trickling in through the first week of April.  And I'm officially in debt up to my eyeballs until a few months into 2021.  WORTH IT!  Can't wait to assemble this beast!  Expecting to have some fun with the RAM and Ryzen tuning - hoping to run that 4000MHz RAM at 3600-3800MHz with very tight timings.... we'll see what we see.  It's not on the Motherboard QVL which is normally not a thing I do, but I'm fairly confident I'll have no issues.
*Pro's like @PBAsydney might know more, and I probably should have conferred with him before hand... I can still cancel the RAM if it's a totally stupid idea to go with anything but the G.Skillz sticks listed on the QVL for the Crosshair Hero VIII

This thing is gonna be sick!  Like I said, gonna rebuild my current PC with the old GTX 970 SSC, with it's 2x 120GB SSD's in RAID-0, and it's 2TB HDD and sell it on craigslist to recoup some of the cost of this new beast.  Fingers crossed I can get more than $400 for an aged VR ready 1080p gaming PC that gets more than 60FPS in GTA:V and RDR2 at very high settings, etc.

• Upvote 2

Ive got the RTX2070 from MSI. They do have a known issue where they can fail in under a month. I dunno if it was a bad batch or what. My card failed in about 3 weeks. Amazon replaced it without issue, been solid ever since. i7700k with 500gb EVO SSD, MSI z270 gaming pro carbon and 64gb DDR4 overclocked to 3000mhz using intels XMP 2.0 profile. Works really well. Will need to add another SSD as im pretty much full on the 500gb. 

I wouldn't raid0 your OS. Either RAID1 or RAID10 (1 + 0). If one of your disks fail on a raid 0 the array is comprised and fails, so doubling your risk just for a bit of read/write. RAID1 will see you get a write penalty (as data has to be written to 2 disks) but you will get a read gain, as you can read the data from either disk. If you're gaming you'll be reading maps and textures from disk, so you'll see increase loading times, plus you'll gain hard disk redundancy. Just remember if you do software RAID on windows, I think it writes the bootloader to 1 of the drives, so if that fails the other drive wont have the bootloader and windows wont boot, but the data will be there. But if this is just an OS drive with apps installed then you probably dont care that much about data. You can install the bootloader to both disks without too much hassle. There are a number of guides. I did it to the german dedi after we lost a disk in raid1 that contained the bootloader and we ended up reinstalling because of it. I'm pretty sure that was on 2008R2, so I dunno what the case is now. 

Machines a beast, though!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2