Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Project Reality Loading issue

Golden

Al Basrah has been dead screen in the past. But when the server got reset (Bot spawns etc reset) I haven't noticed the server dying on dead screen with that particular map. 

However I have noticed lately that when loading the next map and clicking squad assignment, I sit on a dead screen for about... 10-15 seconds but it recovers and allows me to spawn. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. I think it might be the server catching up to the client perhaps.

Edit: It does this on just about every map for me. Save a couple. I'll start making notes of the maps I experience this on.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Golden said:

Al Basrah has been dead screen in the past. But when the server got reset (Bot spawns etc reset) I haven't noticed the server dying on dead screen with that particular map. 

However I have noticed lately that when loading the next map and clicking squad assignment, I sit on a dead screen for about... 10-15 seconds but it recovers and allows me to spawn. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. I think it might be the server catching up to the client perhaps.

Edit: It does this on just about every map for me. Save a couple. I'll start making notes of the maps I experience this on.

If this is happening on many maps, it may be worth reporting this in the actual PR Forums Support  Issues/Bugs section.  Would like to know if anyone else can recreate this issue, too, and they'd want to know that as well.  If you do make a report, be sure to include details such as system specs, and the maps you've noted, and of course the steps to recreate the issue.

This definitely does not sound like anything specifically related to the VG Server, but to PR in general and/or the client software.  Definitely worth investigating further. :hi: 

• Like 1

It's most likely the static objects that are taking that long to load (Bunkers / houses etc.).  It happens to quite a lot of people on both coop and deployment. Personally, I have that issue on basrah and kashan where a certain type of house on the spawn screen takes a while to load up. 

Not much can be done about it. Try lowering your textures in the options

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My system specs are on my gametracker, which can be viewed here. Played last night.  And noticed it did it, albeit briefly, on muttrah std.

I'll keep noting the maps it does this to me on. I'll see about making a bug report on PR forums when I have time.

I do also run a full SSD rig, in raid. Needless to say I have great load times on pretty much all games. Never noticed this issue before (Fake deadscreen) until recently after the server got reset.

Even when I had PR on a HDD it didn't fake a deadscreen like this. This is definitely new to me. 

I do know about the map loading buildings, Kashan comes to mind because you can literally watch the buildings appear at the beginning of the round at end screen. This issue might be related, but it's not the root.

• =VG= Acro1 featured and unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, =VG= Fastjack said:

You have this Problem now with everymap? When you Restart your pc and start PR, how the first round Looks? Same issues?

BF have a problem with cleaning its Memory from the round before.

No not quite every round. It'll take a few days to get a solid list together of the maps I experience this on. 

I clean the PR caches daily before I hop on after work. I don't think that's the issue, but who knows. It very well be as Solar said, just an engine limitation. But why is it so prominent now vs 2018 and earlier?

31 minutes ago, Golden said:

No not quite every round. It'll take a few days to get a solid list together of the maps I experience this on. 

I clean the PR caches daily before I hop on after work. I don't think that's the issue, but who knows. It very well be as Solar said, just an engine limitation. But why is it so prominent now vs 2018 and earlier?

I've possibly found the problem.... Game Mods based on games from 2004 do not like being run on systems that cost more than $5,000 - just speculation.

Probably has something to do with the $3,000 worth of graphics cards on the system, or possibly the nearly $1500 of NVMe SSD storage.  It's also possible but not necessarily probable that the >$700 worth of DDR4 RAM is just too expensive for Project Reailty, but again, it's just speculation.

:tatice_03:
I'm totally kidding, of course.  That is a killer system there - and obviously your system hardware is not the limiting factor.

Unless this is an issue with your operating system or programs, then the problem lies with the PR program itself.  Again, these issues are going to fall squarely in the realm of folks like Alon or Mineral, and those who understand the mechanics of this program on very, very low level.  I wish we could help you, but I feel that this is something that needs the expertise of those who actually wrote the program to provide any satisfactory technical reason or solution.

I really gotta upgrade my own CPU/AiO/MoBo/RAM very soon, but the sticker shock of around $1200 for those parts keeps triggering my "fiscal responsibility" and though I have several credit cards with 0% interest until 2021, I just can't bring myself to place that order (yet).  So you can imaging how wide my eyes were and how low to the ground my jaw was when I was perusing Golden's system specs.... I get the impression that you have a good career (or you're like me, and all your fun-money goes directly into your favorite PC gaming hobby ;) ).  I also get the idea that it's good I'm on a 2015 Haswell i5 if I'm developing apps or software for general public, because if I was on the most recent modern CPU's I might be ignorant of performance on lesser systems.  Whatever lets me sleep at night, anyway.

Killer Fucking System! :drinks:  I mean, super overkill for pretty much any game mankind has made to date, but seriously badass!

I won't rule out the possibility that something I've changed in my system, be it hard or soft, is the problem. I do know how older games prefer systems from their respective hay day.

I've spoke to Mineral in the past about the ACTUAL dead screen that results in a server crash, and the response was that they're working on it. I didn't get any further information about it. So fingers crossed.

As for my system. The idea was to future proof it. After nearly 8,000 in parts it better fucking last at least 3 years. I rebuilt it shortly before making a new Gametracker account for Gametracker.

I have a good job. Not really a job, I should say. It's a passion. I build jet engines of all kinds. From turbo shaft Solarturbines Saturn 12 and 1300's, Centaur 4,500's. To J79 after burning beasts of thrust. I'm really just a mechanic that works on really expensive engines. ;)

• Like 1

I hate to be a wet blanket, but Future Proof is a fallacy.  This comes from a serious base of knowledge in computer parts, and years of learning from actual pros through their videos on these very subjects such as Gamers Nexus and Linus Tech Tips, and many other lesser known channels on YouTube.

It's more appropriate to call these efforts "Future Resilient" and sorry for splitting hairs on that one.

The storage will enter the unreliable zone before ten years, the graphics cards will also fall prey to time when some new feature that they physically lack is introduced or a new standard of any kind develops and while they will continue to chug along year after year - DirectX 10 and 11 had major feature changes in the last decade or so and including DirectX 12, each new standard requiring new hardware - with FPS getting lower and lower due to a number of factors from increase complexity of future games to general degradation over time, to the point where one of the GFX cards fails and must be removed from the triple setup (and irreplaceable but for a higher than original price or for an unknown used variant located elsewhere)  - dropping future FPS even further.  This as opposed to the concept of buying a single or dual high level GFX card(s) once every 3 years, of the latest technology.  Again, LOVE THE SYSTEM!!! But realistically, triple GFX cards of that type for cost to performance over time (I guess that would be a DeltaV in this case?) would net an indication of 2 similar cards being purchased (and old ones sold before they are dead) every 3 years for the next decade.  No part will last forever, some longer than others though, but all can be considered at a Cost to Own Per Day, with the end of that equation being solved when the part dies or is replaced, and these things should be foremost in consideration when money is a key factor.  Very cool to see a system like this when money is not the limiting factor, and I'm just drooling over those specs ;)

It's not everyone's preference, but again IMHO, these are some of the things I've gleaned from being deep into this hobby for so long.  Apologies for the unsolicited commentary - again, big fan of things as fast and awesome as that beast you've built!  OORAH! Kick ass and take names!  You very well WILL be at the top of  Enthusiast PC gaming hardware for many years.  Just be ready to replace one or two things as you go.  Monitor your Liquid Cooling well, when they fail, they fail quick and shit dies - having alarms or temp monitors if you're overclocking can mean the difference between noticing a problem before it occurs and replacing a nearly $2000 CPU that will only go UP in price for new replacement models over time.

BTW - what motherboard are you running?  Obviously the Z390's for the "mortal men" Intel chips are damn hard to find one with support for 4x M.2 / NVMe slots, so that's likely a feature for the type of dense core count CPU you're running and the motherboards available for it - super curious, wanna check under it's skirt and poke around it's user manual .pdf

:drinks:

Edit: Last comment - if you're overclocking, and don't already know this - push for the absolute fastest RAM overclock first, then push your CPU as there is only so much voltage to go around before limiting factors come into play down to the VRM's themselves and their quality, etc.  High capacity RAM has the drawback of slower time to search for bits and with respect to PC gaming, what we want (even for something pushing the modern limits like Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC) is very high single core CPU performance and the fastest RAM we can get, preferably at least 8GB of it, but these days 16GB has become the standard.  If I was looking to run heavily modded games with shit-tons of mods, like City Skylines, I'd maybe push that up to a 32GB across 4 slots.  if I was working with an eight slot beast of a motherboard like you have, I'd likely still work within the realm of 32-64GB of RAM for sake of speed specifically as it relates to PC gaming.  Will be awhile before you build another system for sure, likely this will be obsolete knowledge by then.  But for anyone reading this now - just know there are negatives to 128GB of RAM across 8 slots, and you'll see the highest competitive overclocking working on a single set of dual channel RAM of a lowered capacity and very high speed.  Food for thought.

When you get into the workstation realm, editing things like huge files or 8K Red camera footage files, 128GB of RAM can let you scrub through scenes and render previews in full scale, and batch process tons of files with speed.  But for gaming, a good tip is "only as much size as you need for what you do" and the fastest possible speed and timings you can afford (and your chipset supports).

On 3/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, Golden said:

@Golden I might have found your problem, for real this time.

...and funny enough, my first joke response was actually the correct answer, believe it or not.

When you play PR, or other older games, are you restarting your computer to disable a number of those CPU cores on your 9980XE before booting into Windows to play PR?  Because that would be the route to try if you experience a lack of performance or loss of FPS contrary to the three extreme graphics cards you are running.  At the very least, this is a route to explore for more information for odd and rare issues experienced in PC gaming with an HEDT processor such as the one you have.  You might want to monitor core usage and thermals per core during PR COOP gameplay so you can see what is happening when you experience these issues.  I'm more than certain this is the path to investigate.  You're also running an OC and that would be something to disable for a long period to see if it affects the issue.

Really hope it helps. :hi: