NOTICE: Our Project Reality Demo / Tracker files are not getting uploaded here to the website.  We are working on the issue and expect it to be resolved within a few weeks.  The files are still being recorded, and will be provided to anyone including public players via direct request.  Send a message to (in order of availability) SemlerPDX, STARK, or m823us, with the date/time and map name, and we will provide you with the corresponding file.  Thank you all for your patience!

Many years ago, a Finnish long time PR buddy used to brag about the net speed in his country. He even had a small ISP company and he was providing almost all the net connections in Tampere, Finland. I've send him a screenshot with my net speed results that were 3-4 times faster than his. He was so pissed of that he never talked to me again. I'm still laughing remember this after so many years. This is how I got the idea to start some sort of contest with the VG community. So here's my result. What's yours? ;)

Use this: https://www.speedtest.net/

8726168559.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, =VG= Skitalez said:

I put more potatoes in my steam powered incandescent potato computer* 🧐

I use smoke signals whilst downing a bottle of wodka. Probably not the most sophisticated method but it works fine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I live in a major city and I pay around $90 a month, it was over $100, but I added Cable TV and the price went down... Yep.  :lex_14:   Down.
8727631203.png

36 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

I live in a major city and I pay around $90 a month, it was over $100, but I added Cable TV and the price went down... Yep.  :lex_14:   Down.
8727631203.png

I pay $75 for my internet, I would be jealous if you wernt so close to Portland.

Edited by Rabbit
I'm an idiot

I couldn't give you stats on speedtest. Even if I could somehow get a machine that could generate the traffic and find a speedtest.net server capable of handling it, it would only work per flow. 

Long and short of it is: Im a net eng for an ISP. We have multiple 10gbps links with transit providers, other direct peers (think microsoft, google, gamma etc), and at internet exchange points around the UK. Probably about 100gbps aggregate bandwidth in/out. 

Unfortunately my connection at home is VDSL based.. 80/20 with BT..

Dont just dont i'm on a island at the edge of the earth, its beautiful, but the internet f"(%*%£ping suks hahah  NO pr for me for another 6 months : ( and candy crush wont even run at 0.9MBs 

95.47 up wooo nice one fastjack niceeee up is as important as down in game : ) 

DSC01953.JPG

On 11/2/2019 at 8:38 PM, zero_tolerance_s said:

I'm paying 19.50 euros or 22 $ for Internet, cable tv (~ 250 channels) and land line phone. :rofl:

yep brainwashing gets cheaper everydayday hahaha NWORDER 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, =VG= SolarFlame1 said:

I couldn't give you stats on speedtest. Even if I could somehow get a machine that could generate the traffic and find a speedtest.net server capable of handling it, it would only work per flow. 

Long and short of it is: Im a net eng for an ISP. We have multiple 10gbps links with transit providers, other direct peers (think microsoft, google, gamma etc), and at internet exchange points around the UK. Probably about 100gbps aggregate bandwidth in/out. 

Unfortunately my connection at home is VDSL based.. 80/20 with BT..

BT hahahahahahahahah british telecom 

9oxQ2KQ.jpg.e8536c5df2ef5efb63ff0c17a0d22140.jpg

6 hours ago, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

BT hahahahahahahahah british telecom 

It doesnt matter who the ISP in the UK is, it all uses pretty much the same infrastructure. You're either using openreach in the last mile, or virgin. And occasionally virgin will use openreach. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, =VG= SolarFlame1 said:

It doesnt matter who the ISP in the UK is, it all uses pretty much the same infrastructure. You're either using openreach in the last mile, or virgin. And occasionally virgin will use openreach. 

yer but it depends on how much the T1 backbone  line has been multiplexed or how much rent the ISP is willing to pay lol virgin Richard branson has a bit of free cash as he's going to the moon, BT well old mother hubbard has beans in the cupboard lol , bet Richard has his own T1 backbone  line   just for pron sites hahah 

I'm pretty sure no one in the UK is using a T1 line. If they are, they sure as shit wont be using it as backhaul. 

Also - we only rent the dark fibre in the ground. We can light it at whatever bandwidth we want. All we need is kit that has the port capability and the optics. Swap 1gb optic to 10gb, to 40gb, to 100gb. Fibre doesnt change. 

The issue in the UK isn't backhaul. Its the access layer. Its all copper twisted pair and thats why DSL is used. Virgin use DOCSIS on coax cable, which doesnt suffer the same attenuation issues as DSL over twisted pair. Openreach managed to help a little by moving the DSLAM from the exchange to the cabinet and running VDSL to the home (as the DLSAM is now close enough) and then backhauling to the exchange with fibre.  Backhaul is the easy part. Its getting reliable low latency bandwidth to peoples homes, and that can't really work over copper. Luckily openreach are obsoleting ISDN by 2025? And obsoleting copper by 2027 I believe. They're planning on doing FTTP to every home in the UK. No more twisted pair. Thats when backhaul is likely to become an issue.. As a few hundred mbps up/down will be easy to achieve on the access side for every customer, but the backhaul from the cab to the exchange will be super contended. 

Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

Im moving to Kansas 

-6129377304201590987.jpg.5c3b6b6f7273f1f0a98da0bfb15d67be.jpg

Actually Kansas city is in Missouri