Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

COOP PvP ?

Xenalite

Could we try playing COOP with players + bots on both sides? Some arguments for it:

- Easier to seed maps with low pop - you get some bots to help you out.

- Get to play Opfor.

- Get to play more maps, which are very boring with bots on 1 side: Beirut, Saareemaa, Burning Sands etc

- Harder difficulty - you don't know if enemy is a bot or human.

- In general an interesting change to break up years of the same pattern. Veteran players know exactly what bots will do.

- Other side gets to use area attack / deployables / smoke.

• Upvote 1

actually I think that's a good idea to try other game variations. but if i'm honest the coop server with bots on both sides annoys me. somehow the game is not really serious anymore. I do not really know why but it seems like training ... so playing against bots I find better than pvp but with bots on both sides I do not like ...

but we can try something like that, of course ... I would also find it interesting to play with the highest difficulty level of bots.

• Upvote 1

We were talking about this in TS3, this would be cool for events and we're gonna see if we can do this on the weekends, like a regular thing.  We have two other servers, and while I'd like to keep offering COOP for those who want to play it on a weekend, we can put a message in game as a MOTD that says an open COOP PvP event is running on the other server as an all day event.  We should work out the ways it will work, any necessary rules beyond our standards, and all that stuff.  Xenalite said he'd like to shoot for next weekend, but this is pending on having the technical stuff worked out.  For Events, we often give a two week notice and spend the time to promote it, and test out the technical stuff.

We'll see what we can do moving forward, there would need to be people willing to do a bit of work and have a little knowledge of PR maps and configs, but volunteers are welcome, so long as you're not an asshole (haha!) :hi:

• Upvote 1

I have played, in the past, other servers that lets you switch sides and play with a bot against human.

The best thing about it is that you get to surprise human opponents with flanking/maneuver/ambush.

The worst thing about is that you get to experience the same thing from the other side and can die very often.

Let's give you an example on a map that everyone loves: Muttrah City:

1) Were you ever frustrated with anti-air asset while you're on TRANS/CAS? Well now we have an anti-air asset that can literally go anywhere in the map and hide in any building they choose. The days of you not needing to worry about getting shot down while hovering over North City is officially over. Sure, you can dodge a heat-seeking missile with a well-placed flare, but do note that countermeasures do not work against bullets (especially heavy calibers like 12.7mm, 14.5mm, and 20mm).

2) If you have gotten killed by a mortar and thought "this is not annoying whatsoever," prepare to be bombarded with HE/Airburst. Were you annoyed by someone popping smoke and you get shot because you couldn't see? Prepare to be shot, in many occasions, in the head by a dumb bot with a pistol across the map. Also, have you ever used mortar and felt it was boring and tedious? Well, now you get to experience what is like to be counter-mortared and lose all of deployables you just built.

3) Riding a Humvee/AMTRAC/LAV-25 and constantly get annoyed because your vehicle gets hit by a LAT kit and disable? Well, you don't need to worry no more because HAT kit makes you die instantly so you don't have to worry about waiting for those dumb logi trucks to bring a repair station to you. By the way, have I mentioned that you can also spawn with a combat-engineer kit and lay anti-tank mines around for easy kills? You better start looking the surface of the road you're about to cross carefully. Unfortunately, enemy bots with LAT kits wouldn't be so kind to wait for you to look them up before they destroy your vehicle.

4) I love the smell of claymores in the morning, especially when they're placed on T-shaped buildings.

5) Snipers....... nuff said.

If you played CO-OP events before, you should know that there are few key admins who are on the bot side to make sure the event goes smoothly. They are not allowed to directly involved in combat unless necessary, and even then it could be frustrating at times. Imagine having those players have no rules of engagement whatsoever, and the only limitation they have are their creative imaginations. It only takes one or two with a decent skill/knowledge and access to good equipment to ruin everyone's day. 

I'm all for playing such events, as COOP is getting bored without a major update, but please understand.....

There are reasons why people play CO-OP instead of Deployment.

I hope people know what they're getting themselves into before they bring Deployment to CO-OP.

• Upvote 2

Could redo some of the old VIP  Kidnapping / Hostage missions where players had to roam through the map to locate and rescue the VIP, played by another human, that is guarded by 1 - 3 "SF" guys (humans) while fighting off the bot army. People seemed to like them back then. Relatively easy to make with some server side modifications.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xenalite said:

Could we try playing COOP with players + bots on both sides? Some arguments for it:

- Easier to seed maps with low pop - you get some bots to help you out.

- Get to play Opfor.

- Get to play more maps, which are very boring with bots on 1 side: Beirut, Saareemaa, Burning Sands etc

- Harder difficulty - you don't know if enemy is a bot or human.

- In general an interesting change to break up years of the same pattern. Veteran players know exactly what bots will do.

- Other side gets to use area attack / deployables / smoke.

I've tried this on another server, it can be a lot of fun but also distracting as hell if you know who is on the other side, then you spend all your time trying to nail their asses rather than capping flags rofl!

Depending on who is on the OPFOR side it can be a bit off putting for noobs, as Sem suggests do it on an event server.

I Play only coop as, after 20 years of fighting the humans i have seen how just one good player can wipe out a whole teem, just camp up in a good spot and that will turn the game in your favor. I like to think i'm a good sportsman, but the  PvP is just to open to abuse.  

And to win you need to crawl holding your breath, and if you fart boooom the sniper gets ya... 

For me PvP is to messy or too boring as you need to be on point 100% and hiding in a cellar, not much fun. 

And Robots don't cheat lol, so unless there is a better BOT admin keeping track of all the players all the time. PvP will just be like grand theft auto.  a free for all riot :) lol 

If you vote in mixed PvP COOP i will still play, i just wont walk in the road, shoot more than 3 rounds before changing position, look out of any windows, or talk on local. and you probably wont see me or my 3 man SQ until the end . LOL  

I prefer a Juke Nukem  round 

duke-nukem-hd-wallpapers-33042-5887854.j

@TEDF Holy moly those vids are fucking funny. So many names that you don't see around anymore. Trip down memory lane...

@ Topic: Keeping it in events is the way to go. The problem I see is when you have this type of setup we would need admins on the other team as well. But even bigger, the maps aren't balanced for human opfor use. F.e. the Havok von Jabal would be instantly manned when it spawns. One would have to camp the helipad and get in the cockpit before it takes off...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =VG= BinkleDinkle said:

Jabal Havok is a bot asset so has black screen.

That brings up another factor.  There are many vehicles on these maps on the OPFOR side that will not function correctly for humans AND bots at the same time.  The event(s) would need to be geared to get around these sorts of issues.

13 hours ago, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

If you vote in mixed PvP COOP i will still play, i just wont walk in the road, shoot more than 3 rounds before changing position, look out of any windows, or talk on local.

Nah, man.  We're not changing everyone's beloved PR COOP - we're just talking about adding some flavor to the weekends with something different.  Even if we run this on a Saturday, the default VG PR COOP will still be up and running (hopefully with at least one admin who doesn't want to play this PvP COOP hybrid, lol) -- if we can't manage enough people to moderate both the standard PR COOP and this event on the day of, we'll need to turn off the normal one for the duration of the event.

Also note, on the subject of an all-day event with specialized rules and behind a password that we provide here on the website, it would need a dedicated admin to play "show runner", and admins to manage the players, and cannot be allowed to run without those people (if they leave, the event will end).  No problem passing the torch along to another admin, but we don't need a shit show here, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Nah, man.  We're not changing everyone's beloved PR COOP - we're just talking about adding so

any vehicles on thesme flavor to the weekends with something

Solid copy,  COOP is a good team game,, more complexity means more  players on the sever, so extra maps in any format will help.

But your right.... the amount of work getting the trucks to work for bots and humans, is a big ask.. there will be more problems to fix as well. 

On 23.10.2019 at 3:07 AM, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

oo i just want to add can we bring back taking prisoners, the hand cuffs are my favorite weapon. hahahaha     

I do not want to be there when you handcuff volod ... then he invents a new fighting mechanic: bite to death.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1