Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

2 Weeks in Mt. Hood National Forest + Pics

=VG= SemlerPDX

Just got home from two weeks in the Mt. Hood National Forest.  Went up for the duration of the Perseid Meteor Showers and stayed through the 20th.

It was great to get unplugged for awhile.  Dug a pit and sunk a chopping block for my axe, and went through piles of wood.  A white pine was downed just up the road, so I had a huge supply of 15" rounds to buck up and split.  My shoe busted less than halfway through the trip and I used some camo colored duct tape to keep them together for the rest of my vacation, and looking halfway decent, too.

I spent a bit of time floating in the eddies created by these two rivers joining at the Fan, the split one actually being one river, and you don't continue down river unless you really try to get into the flow.  It's a nice spot to swim, but due to it's cold temperature (50-55 deg. F), most people bring something to float on.  I took quite a few pictures with my old Nikon COOLPIX L30 on a tripod:

wQDnKQ4.jpg  AWezfMb.jpg

I was very simplified and didn't bother cooking at all, just things that need boiling water, cheese & crackers, or hotdogs over the fire, granola bars, and such.  And lots of coffee...

eTWLhNp.jpg  qgAYYy7.jpg

I went shooting almost daily with my replica 1870's Henry Repeating Rifle.  It's a carbine in .45 Long Colt, 10 rounds tube fed.  The Henry was the first rifle that combined the bullet, gunpowder, and primer into a single shell, and while it was not standard issue in the Army, many soldiers saved their pay to buy one because they felt it could save their life.  I shoot at 80 feet, which about as far as I can generally find a flat and open area to shoot in the valley where I camp.  That's around 26 yards, or 24 meters, the distance over my shoulder in the pic to the target.

I shoot with iron sights and at that range the front sight is larger than the 10-point ring in the center of the target.  After one volley of 10 rounds, I circle my shots so I can count later.  Ran out of my NRA 100 yard rifle targets and had to buy these "sighting-in" sheets when I went to the nearest small town for ice and resupply mid-trip.

IR9QKcy.jpg  5.gif

These camp robbers are extremely bold birds, and will literally land on your chair, arm, shoulder, hat... We toss snacks around to bring them in like fruit and nuts.  Rather than follow the whole "don't feed the animals" idea, we just give in and see how close we can get them for pictures and such.

j76EXmS.jpg  3uYjGGS.jpg

The bats under the bridge are rather small, around 3 inches (or 8cm) long and they concentrate there at night to feed.  I brought a handheld torch bright enough to dwarf the flash on the camera, and put the camera on a tripod so I could get it up into the high spaces of the bridge.  I caught one in mid-flight trying to investigate my camera on a pole and even felt his wings smack the side of the pole when he came in close. 

Another one was completely oblivious or didn't care about my camera and I kept getting closer until I was in macro mode just a few inches from his face - it was hard to hold still enough to get a good shot, these are the two out of literally 20 pictures that turned out decent:

aoyPrHT.jpg  MLt7awb.jpg

(click photos for full size images)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

• 1 month later...

Nice woods, i have been beached for so long,,, i have to get my salty ass up in to the hills some time, there's GOLD in them there hills...  and wild food that's not covered in slime. 

You look like you were born there, nice trip UG UG : )  

• Like 1

Volod dont need to pay for fights like us motels... he gets about see him allover the place : ) 

DSC01969.thumb.JPG.375819918a935417c0044c998ab027d3.JPG

i almost ate him by mistake lol never eat a bat that smokes :)

he was on the Larry King show once, not published : ) 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdTKhkamKDzj2HC_Buc_U

You hunting in the woods,,, any bear ??? i'm a big catch and cook fan : )  trapping  hunting fishing livin 

DSC01412.thumb.JPG.c8f6569929697d50a38129d517cacc80.JPG

my boat :)

DSC01376.thumb.JPG.f5c9c351f53bf3f1dc1959ab1a0b74bc.JPGDSC01330.thumb.JPG.e0d733ba1991475554c295cf176fe6f4.JPGDSC01167.thumb.JPG.4c6874f3d4eee5afbd8520711464612d.JPGDSC00406.thumb.JPG.d9951ecd35cd994233e9dc64b7f6e2fa.JPGDSC01468.thumb.JPG.4de6e8e999433c1ca71c724d90a5e1ea.JPG

DSC02334.thumb.JPG.f66d9657942971cbfec42001bedc653b.JPGDSC01524.thumb.JPG.9b31df088c1592abe47e762a83d11209.JPGDSC00833.thumb.JPG.3ab3613349490d5ac9d3b67b7acdd2db.JPGNegative0-08-7A(1).thumb.jpg.50baf34a7cfcd2147b41a30861d6aea9.jpg

DSC01309.JPG

DSC01298.JPG

DSC01658.thumb.JPG.72d096ca4df71e5ab8a9d04df566ac6b.JPG

Tarzans cat i ate all the monkeys hahah

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, STRONTIUM_DOG said:

Volod dont need to pay for fights like us motels... he gets about see him allover the place : ) 

DSC01969.thumb.JPG.375819918a935417c0044c998ab027d3.JPG

i almost ate him by mistake lol never eat a bat that smokes :)

The expression on that bat's face is priceless!  Like either he's about to sneeze, or he's looking at you like, "Seriously, dude?"

(geez, I hope he was alive, now I feel bad - but if you caught a live bat... during the day.... I just gotta say DAYYYYUUMN!)

Most I've ever caught and ate up where I go is rainbow trout in the streams, maybe some crayfish.  Not a hunting region, they keep those separate from the camping regions by area and time of year.  But there are deer, bear, lion, everything up there - I'd never go hungry if the world stopped.  I killed a flying squirrel once, though.  But not on purpose.  Poor little bugger...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

The expression on that bat's face is priceless!  Like either he's about to sneeze, or he's looking at you like, "Seriously, dude?"

(geez, I hope he was alive, now I feel bad - but if you caught a live bat... during the day.... I just gotta say DAYYYYUUMN!)

Yer hes looking at me saying ......let me go or i will report you to the admins..... hahhha Vold always quoting the rule book, if hes not swearing. hahaah anything that comes within 100 meters of me gets eaten or impregnated :)  unless it smokes lol so no little haterone actual hybrids   : ( hahah or big Volods hope your bagging some big game there :)