Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

BMS Server Down (POST HERE IF DOWN!)

Brain

Giving me a "server reply time out" (formerly "Kevin pending message") indicating a hang.

While you're at it, could you check IVC as well? Noticed my?IVC client growing from 6mb to 150mb RAM and beyond when running over extended periods. Don't know about others or the IVC server.
Since it isn't needed, I'd suggest shutting down the IVC client on the VG server to avoid that possible memory leak.

• Upvote 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was crashed when I checked it this morning (around 8am PST) -- restarted to latest autosave file. ?

IVC Client does not run on the server, and crashes do not result from memory overflow but from other unknown game issues not relating to the windows OS or the PC hardware. ?Also, as IVC RAM usage expands during use, it is accommodating more client connections but possible not scaling back down when those connections are no longer needed (such as a person logging off of IVC) -- AFAIK it will not keep expanding it's RAM use infinitely, but based on the total number of clients connected through the same IVC server and your client in one session. ?I could be wrong ?- it's happened before, once or twice ;)?

BMS Server restarted - something was screwy, but the server was still responding to my commands (very slowly) -- was able to create a save before closing it, restarted from that save file for hopefully zero data/progress lost. ?Noted that parts of server Airbase have been "repaired", not sure when it got hit, but it's all good now, no need to restart the whole campaign it seems.?

• 2 weeks later...

Server is behaving well lately, and we had a good 5 ship human flight tonight,  but the campaign is at Day 25.  While air and ground targets do exist, they are few and mostly trucks or infantry units.  There is also a supply issue at the bases I flew from  (994th at Soesan and 14th at Taegu?) and most AA and AG weapons are 'OUT'.  I noticed this started last week around Day 17.  Tonight we ran a 4 ship strike about 100 miles in, to the big airbase near Pyongyang, and only had a couple Migs show up.  That fight back, and the next shorter flight was quiet in the air even though it was mid-day on the campaign and we circled for over 15 minutes making smoke columns out of the little red boxes that 'were' on the 2d map.   At this point, I'm ready for a restart to Day 1.  (Brain second that).  Thanks

PS - your tip about setting the IP to the DMZ was the ticket to get 'AXE' (Dave) connected.  He thanks you and had two good flights with us, and was looking forward to more.

• Upvote 2

Restarted to Day 1.

BTW - the DMZ is a troubleshooting step to check:  "Can he connect at all?" and if so, "What part of the modem is blocking it?"  and to fix that block as running a PC in a DMZ is absolutely a massive safety and security risk, a PC in a DMZ can be a portal to every computer on the same network, it is just plain not good.  Again, only for a troubleshooting test...  If he can get through while in DMZ, he needs to check everything from port forwarding to NAT filtering to QoS packet scheduling and more to find the way to allow the game to run through the modem.  DMZ is not a solution, though I'm glad to hear he got a chance to fly online!  Now that he's hooked, let's get him set up proper (and safe!!).

• 4 weeks later...

*I should note for you, BLuD - the server has very good bandwidth - a very stable 25Mbps UP speed, and I think twice that DOWN speeds.  Players use about 1Mbps of it's bandwidth and that means we can safely run a server up to around 22-24 players at one time.  But Brain has some notes as well below - I added this comment to my reply here for clarity.

It's not too much more than normal - it crashes once in awhile - sometimes 2-3 times in a 2 week period.  Sometimes more, particularly around day 8-9 when DPRK tries to slam the server airbase, and around day 1-2 in the first days when so much is going on.  But today, I was busy and missed this report - could have restarted it in less than 5 minutes if I saw it.  Once you get your new computer, BLuD, I'll write down the procedure for restarting the new way I do it from an autosave, and the way we get the server plane back to the 2D map for increased performance after launching the campaign.

Again, sorry for the late response time, pilots!

What happens is that BMS eventually hits a so called memory leak. In it's final hours the server will behave strangely (eg. paused message) and then give you some kind of connection error. Also your BMS client should be restarted after each flight when flying on the server. If not you are likely to get the blue "time compression" message, indicating a bad connection.
There also seems to be a greater influx of brand new players. Everybody is doing a good job at passing information but not all know about the quirks in BMS yet.

The server isn't exactly a Ferrari so that's sadly to be expected. Some opportunistic restarts and player reports usually ensure a mostly constant up time.
We might bring in some traffic today or check out the Israel theater :) 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

**Just got home and checked the server - it's running just fine.  CobaltUK is on a mission right now.  @babucatron try to connect again, it might have been some minor connection hiccup.

Sry It was an issue on my end with port forwarding, forgot I changed it. Realized that this morning, changed it and connected successfully, sorry for any troubles, Keep up the great work !

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Restarted to last autosave.  Kaos - you joined when I was restarting, had a 20 minute real clock when I launched; tried to message you about it, had to shut it all down to kick you out so I could restart it with a fast clock - hope you understand.  It's running now.