Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server Pause

Domestos

On 6/21/2019 at 3:38 AM, Domestos said:

Halooo..

Does your server advance time when no-one is connected to it? Or does it pause? If so, how do you do that

(That's a bit like does the Fridge light go off when you shut the door)

Thanks.

UOAF_Domestos

We don't pause when no players online. Not sure if there is a setting for that.

EDIT: I thought we tweaked the campaign to change some setting when no players were online, but it seems that our setting was no different than the default 2 hours, and it has nothing to do with actually pausing the server or action on the server.  I have notes going back to Allied Force, things get confusing, so I hope this is relevant.  Admittedly, I've not tested it.  I set it like 3 years ago as I read in some ancient forum post here, and haven't changed it since, and have included it in our servers falcon bms.cfg file throughout version changes over the years.

Here's the original post from three years ago:

On 11/9/2016 at 9:31 AM, Sinu said:

In speaking with guys on the Falcon BMS forum I found some interesting information regarding the effect of player flights on the campaign.

Apparently, there's a variable that can be added to the "Falcon BMS.cfg" file --

"set g_nNoPlayerPlay #"
Where "#" is any numerical value
Default is 2 hours
# sets the hours the campaign will run without having there being a negative impact on friendly forces due to players not flying missions.

To summarize that quote, in default BMS if a player does not fly every 2 hours BLUFOR forces (ground, air, sea) have poor performance (which causes campaign stagnation).

More info from the interwebs:

"...By default, if you do not succeed any missions every 2 hours, blue force ground units will be degraded. Adding the following line to FalconBMS.cfg in User/Config folder will change this number.

set g_nNoPlayerPlay 720

The number means how many hours to check Player not succeeding a mission. So 720 is almost disabling the degradation for a month."

Technically, it's a 24/7 Campaign, so things happen even when we are not present to witness them, the clock keeps ticking in real time.  At all times, a war is going on with thousands of units all over a full scale map of Korea.  (if only they could have maps this size and units of that volume for an infantry+vehicles military game like PR or Arma, a map change could be more of a location change/teleport!!)

Hope that answers your question - there is no literal "pause" - time moves ever forward:

set g_nNoPlayerPlay 2              //VG server changed- extend playtime when no players online

*after re-reading all that old info, I think the comment I put in our config "extend playtime when no players online" was what confused me, as I don't think it's the most accurate interpretation and I think I'll revisit this particular setting when I have time