NOTICE: Our Project Reality Demo / Tracker files are not getting uploaded here to the website.  We are working on the issue and expect it to be resolved within a few weeks.  The files are still being recorded, and will be provided to anyone including public players via direct request.  Send a message to (in order of availability) SemlerPDX, STARK, or m823us, with the date/time and map name, and we will provide you with the corresponding file.  Thank you all for your patience!

TheRedMan45

How can I be an effective Squad Leader?

1. Communicate. You must have a mic and be able to communicate with everyone effectively (not just your squad, but commander and other squads).

2. Before you can be an effective first-in-command, you need to learn how to be second-in-command.

Help your Squad Leader - call out targets / directions / battlefield situation / where to find ammo / medic.

SQL wants everyone in a vehicle? Help him get there by calling each squad member's attention to go.

If SQL gives you a task, be competent in carrying it out without hand holding.

3. Know your squad - everyone's name, what kit they have, do you have medics with you, AR, LAT, Breacher, do they need medic / ammo / support, do they have a mic, if they don't - can they at least listen to orders.

4. Know your battlefield - where is the enemy, what is the next flag, should you attack or defend (its good to defend sometimes to let other squads attack), where is nearest repair / ammo / vehicle / medic / FoB.

Call out any targets with directions where to find them, help medics find wounded by knowing your men's position, don't call TRANS / vehicles to dangerous spots.

5. Tell your squad early and often what the plan is - puts everyone on the same page, so they don't wander off or do something against your interests.

For example: "When we cap this flag, I will call TRANS heli to take us to Bravo. Make sure you have ammo before we leave." or "We're going to defend this flag until Squad 1 neutralizes next flag."

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Xenalite said:

For example: "When we cap this flag, I will call TRANS heli to take us to Bravo. Make sure you have ammo before we leave." or "We're going to defend this flag until Squad 1 neutralizes next flag."

1. Yeah only if others are being nice and help... sometimes they wont even listen to you (most of the time) that is why you should always have a backup plan in case the situation goes bad or worse.

2. Keep calm and kick those that you dont see fit enough for your squad (those that drag the entire squad down). Better than shouting to them every 10 sec. to keep up with the squad or to stop to shoot randomly because its fun to waste ammo.

3. Communicate every obstacle with other squads/commander( i know ppl dont do it too often but they should as it helps when planning).

4. As a beginner i suggest you start easy just by defending obj. around the map, and after you gain some trust in yourself try attacking a flag. ( Muttrah is best for newbs). 

5. Never rage quit if a situation went from bad to worse, its not the end of the world if the squad got whipped out once or twice, after all its just a game, you can respawn. I for one have killed my squad many times over and over for some stupid things (i dont regret anything, it was kind of fun). 

6.  Ignore those that make fun of your style of leading and have fun!!

The most important were told by Xenalite, these are just some other infos that i thought will help. HAVE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN ma man!:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

xena (and blizzard) has already said almost everything important ...

just go into several squads and listen to what the sl make. You will find that you feel more comfortable with some than with others. then see why that is.

Sometimes it can be effective not to do so much. That's why I like to play in skirmishers or starks sqds. both knows exactly what to do, but hardly gives orders. Often they also have 3-5 players in there sqds who know exactly what to do. too many orders would be a hindrance. they just says short when eg trans comes to pick us up. they does not have to tell us that we should reload or have to stay close because it is clear. but if you have 7 players in the sqd that do not know you have to say that of course.
The key is experience and communication. I do not like to be squadleader because I'm not fast enough in English and when too many people talk, I do not hear anything anymore (eg commander, sl 4, sl 2, 3 player of my sqd at the same time)
and just as you should explain things to your sqd (eg just run, do not shoot because all bots would see us , or wait here until you can sprint again because you'll be shot otherwise) sometimes you have to be tough and make a clear call ( you have 30 seconds to get rid of your sniperkit or i kick you out of the sqd or change not unsolicited your kit or something like that ...)

There are so many different styles of sl and all are different. look at what you feel most comfortable with and what is best in the situation. insist that your sqd follow it but let yourself be improved by experienced players ...

and if you make a mistake do not press alt + f4 but apologize to the sqd. nobody is perfect.
on muttrah I know exactly where the enemies are ... anyway, it happens to me that our humvee get rpged. shit happens. its embarrassing but then you say sorry and laugh together. on the other hand, do not run a sqd if you're too unsure. At shadahahahaha, I would not want to run a sqd at the moment because I would make nonsense all the time and my sqd would be mad at me quickly. but it always depends on how good the players are. Do you have three experienced players you do not need to do much anymore because they carry the sqd. You do not need ammunition because they are looking for it at enemy bodies. they ask on their own when they need something and communicate with other sqds on their own.                                                                                                                                                                                            feel the sqd and the situation and may the force be with you, young jedi ;p

Edited by 0100011000101
blizzard was faster than me ;p
  • Upvote 5

These are great but sometime being a SL is stressful to me because I am supposed to guide my mates to victory. I got best squad sometime but only because my mates played this game alot

• Upvote 1

Most squad leaders do forget to utilize the assets they have around them, they try to take on enemy armor by them selves or move up to a new flag in dangerous situations, utilize those assets available to you, you don't have to take trans all the time but you can use APCs to help clear an area you need to go too or even take you there.

Make decisions that are in the best interest of advancing your team and not ones that will set you back 20 mins

EG, sitting on the hilltop of Jabal Al Burj waiting for another squad to cap dam instead help them out

. Build fobs that can strategically get you to different flags easily and will be spawnable

. Don't build fobs right on top of flags its use less

. Communicate with at least one other squad

. Take out key enemy positions so that assets like trans and APCs can support you later on in the fight.( Enemy AAs, mortars) report if these assets are active and if you have armor near you.

It hurts when a squad is in the shit asks trans for crates or an APC for support but does not notify them that mortars are up or they have a shilka sitting next to them.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Vanillapop said:

It hurts when a squad is in the shit asks trans for crates or an APC for support but does not notify them that mortars are up or they have a shilka sitting next to them.

Nah don't worry call me . make sure i have huey and Problem solved :D 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheRedMan45 said:

I got best squad sometime but only because my mates played this game alot

that's the game. the best sl can not do anything alone... you need a good sqd, then you hardly have to do anything, only if your sqd does not know what to do you have to be a good leader.

8 hours ago, TheRedMan45 said:

but sometime being a SL is stressful to me because I am supposed to guide my mates to victory

do not try to win but to do the best in the situation. sometimes that means being passive or supporting others ... if you're trying hard to win it's often goes wrong. I did that in the beginning but if you do not think about the points but just look where the other sqds are and what to do, it will come by itself.

5 hours ago, ranger_12 said:

Nah don't worry call me . make sure i have huey and Problem solved :D 

good point. also see who plays in which sqd. if ranger flies, hellcruiser has an apc, volod is nearby and angry, vipy has a medic-kit or something similar, then use that and ask other sqds or player for help. You also play often and know who has which skills. If someone is good at cas, then let him clear the way, when your sqd got wiped, ask the sqd where vipy is in to revive you. if volod rapes a spawnpoint and you need cover, ask him, he can do both... in the best case you use all player of all sqds because you know what there are doing and then you automaticly see what you have to do and how you can use this scenario for yourself.

I play pr now 2.5 years and I'm still learning a lot and often do not have the overview ... if you feel generally or on a particular map not comfortable, then you must not be sl. that comes with the time by itself ...

if you are unsure and you have to orientate yourself on the pro-players then just be a sqd-member. When you realize the other players are starting to annoy you because you see how it would be better, then start leading sqds. ;p

which does not mean that you can not try it before. ..

Oh... Leadership. That's tough. You have to have balls and confidence. Even when shit goes tits up. You have to man up and own it. You need to communicate. Talk to people about what's needed not about what you want. Or they want for that matter. But mostly. It has to be in your nature. Not all of us are born to be leaders. Mostly people prefer to follow. 

Basically you have to make a plan and own it. It's not Easy. You can't learn it. You are or you are not. Both are fine.

13 hours ago, TheRedMan45 said:

Thanks man now I can be Squad Leader without being nervous or alt+f4 when things go bad

If you ever felt you are nervous. You have to ALT+F4. You won't be a good squad leader. 

When things go perfectly. That's not you. It's your team. They did all the work. 

When everything goes bad. It's time for you to start working. Now you have to be creative. Now you have to yell and scream. Get shit done. 

There's is no training for leadership. You can or you cannot. 

Ok,but what if a SQL with full squad doesnt have a mic? When I need assistance,the leader would just ignore it which led to me and my squad struggling to take over Hill Base and Pig Farm during a match on Qwai River. They would attack the enemy base instead. Anyway to make them listen?

2 minutes ago, TheRedMan45 said:

Ok,but what if a SQL with full squad doesnt have a mic? When I need assistance,the leader would just ignore it which led to me and my squad struggling to take over Hill Base and Pig Farm during a match on Qwai River. They would attack the enemy base instead. Anyway to make them listen?

ignore him ... he plays another game ^^

You often have that, but you can not force him to do anything. Usually these sqds are wiped out very quickly anyway and then you can enjoy and make fun about it^^

such squads are mostly cannon fodder. you can use this because it distracts the enemy a bit but an interaction is usually not possible.

there are also good players without mic but as sl you need one.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:11 PM, TheRedMan45 said:

1558098590735.jpg.91227520f23c90f385aaa827e4325a8f.jpgWe did it bois

That's literally not squad leading lol :P

Seeing how Volod.41 carries the game (no offense jk jk ;))

Well in the end, at least you've learned something-

Yeah that video is useful. Despite not having seen it before, that's how I learnt to Squad Lead (and still certainly learning). I started by acting as SL for trans as that is a pretty manageable role as long as you have decent pilots and people who aren't spamming the mic.

(Had to tell my squad to shut up a couple of times yesterday as they were constantly talking and I couldn't hear the comms traffic coming from local and from other squad leaders.) So make sure you're being assertive in this regard as direct communication is key. Obvious there can be moments of downtime and that's fine, but that should be dictated by the SL and not by the squad.

Currently i'm trying to get better at leading small groups of inf, hence you'll sometimes see a squad called 'Brimstone' which is me sort of practicing the intermediate role by acting as irregular infantry and as someone said previously, essentially giving the enemy somebody else to shoot at so the veteran squads can have an easier time.

I remember reading a passage from Max Hastings; a war historian: "95% of the infantry are simply there to be shot at, it's up to the 5% on both sides to act decisively." I feel the same way in PR and every bullet that gets fired my way instead of in the direction of the veteran squads is a win win in my opinion!

Best regards

Wise.