Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

WSAD Versus TGFH Key binds

=VG= STARK

Like the comments say no.

i use this keyboard with WASD

81fuOEG-2lL._SX522_.jpg

i can program each G key 3 times per profile and switch between profiles infinite times. While it is handy I rarely use it only for large editing 

(I use them to write out the entire flag spawned name on Pr editor xD) and a shortcut for typing !k !w and some shortcuts like dis steal tk) 

but back the the video it is what you think is best and I have to say arrow keys FTW

(look at the CD tray it says millennium so i guess this guy is still back in 2000's xD)

I could never really get used to the keyboard, I got one of these years ago (and this Razer one to replace it) and it's pretty much all I need for nearly every game.  Covers the WSAD keys plus the caps, shift, and z-v, and a 4 way directional, too.  Full customization with the software, supports macros, etc.

The palm rest is the best, tho, cuz I can't hover my hand over a keyboard without mashing the damn keys.

81-Y-dG7fML._SX425_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

@=VG= SemlerPDX you actually use the thumb control or not? 

Yeah, that four way is usually Jump, prone, 1, and 2 (up, down, left, and right) for most games I play.

Makes it easy to switch fire modes or to sidearm quickly.

It helps to have a few buttons on the mouse, too. I rarely ever touch the actual keyboard in any game unless it's for typing in a chat.

I think Arma is the only FPS that has used a million and a half different key bindings, but normal FPS, like the Battlefield series or insurgency? Even competitive FPS like CSGO and Siege have super simplistic controls that hardly go past F on the keyboard. I wouldn't say that I'm "wasting" half the keyboard when they don't have commands to fill the whole keyboard in the first place.

(Also, why would you ever use your index finger to press Z or X? Is it not normal typing to use the finger on line with the key? Hell, I even catch myself using my thumb to get those keys)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, CptHawk said:

Also, why would you ever use your index finger to press Z or X? Is it not normal typing to use the finger on line with the key? Hell, I even catch myself using my thumb to get those keys

All fingers rest on the same line for typing, pinky on the A key - while typing - and the Z key is hit by the pinky and the X key is hit by the ring finger.

Notice the offset, too - Z is often below the middle of A or S, and only the 10-key keypad is a proper straight grid, because the hand position for one handed 10-key calculating requires a straight grid.  All keyboards have an offset on the alphabet keys, but it's really different for every keyboard, and takes getting used to for typing at speed.  But for gameplay, I think it can get in the way for some games that make frequent use of Z and X. 

Look again at the picture of that Razer keypad above, because it's designed for use by one hand, and not for typing, all the keys are in a straight grid like a 10-key, and make for easy access to the "shift - z - x - c - v" row (also, the "shift" being a single mechanical key rather than a wide bar.  The space is that paddle under the thumb.

Basically, when I got into PC gaming, I assumed most everyone who got into it for more than a few months or a year, owned one of these things.  I'm impressed that people are able to hover their hand over a keyboard and manage to play competitively, but I'm not knocking it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

All fingers rest on the same line for typing, pinky on the A key - while typing - and the Z key is hit by the pinky and the X key is hit by the ring finger.

That's what I'm saying. In the video he uses his index finger to hit the Z and X keys, he even makes a point of how dumb it is, but in normal typing, you would use the finger that would be in line with it. Normally that would be the pinky for Z and the ring for X, however, if your using WASD, it would be your ring for Z and middle for X, or use your thumb.

I was just making a point on how a major gripe of his about using WASD is having to use his index finger to hit Z and X, but I suppose that's all up to how he learned to type in the first place. Also, if you move to the TFGH, do you not have the same problem with the CVBN keys now that he first had with the (backslash key for him) and ZXC keys?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CptHawk said:

That's what I'm saying. In the video he uses his index finger to hit the Z and X keys, he even makes a point of how dumb it is, but in normal typing, you would use the finger that would be in line with it. Normally that would be the pinky for Z and the ring for X, however, if your using WASD, it would be your ring for Z and middle for X, or use your thumb.

I was just making a point on how a major gripe of his about using WASD is having to use his index finger to hit Z and X, but I suppose that's all up to how he learned to type in the first place. Also, if you move to the TFGH, do you not have the same problem with the CVBN keys now that he first had with the (backslash key for him) and ZXC keys?

Good points there CptHawk, what I'd like to know before I screw up my default settings is what the hell do we use for picking up kits, using the T command, using H for local? Plus when a noob starts the game and cannot even talk using mumble , now we've got to remember not only our own key binds but we also need to remember the default ones? Not very practical imo. I get it done with WASD, no idea what he's whinging about.

• Like 3

^What he said.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:49 PM, CptHawk said:

Also, if you move to the TFGH, do you not have the same problem with the CVBN keys now that he first had with the (backslash key for him) and ZXC keys?

I believe you are right.  Solves nothing, complicates the position even more, and taking 1-5 keys further away from ready access.

I often have to make slightly custom controls when they conflict with other hotkeys like TS3 PTT or others, and using a custom keypad I often forget the default keyboard buttons, so there is that compromise helping out new player with a question because it's often not possible unless I happen to know it by heart.  

Hardest part about custom controls BY FAR when talking Project Reality is that the various kits across the various factions have so many items from 1-9 or whatever that I can't always remember which numbered key is for which item and where is that button on my Razer Tartarus keypad.