Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

M27 or IAR

Jersans

Hello all, just read an interesting article (here: http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-us-marine-corps-hopes-equip-its-troops-rifle-21952) that the USMC is planning to adopt this rifle. 

But I have some major questions around that considering it was designed to replace the SAW and only has a 30 round box and effectively is only a tougher version of the HK416. Good rifle for sure but can it also replace a M249 SAW, which I understand they are planning to do in a 4-man fire-squad? I highly doubt it...  

For those who don't know what rifle it is here's the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle 

I do think it's much more of a battle rifle than any other rifles currently in use, but I've always seen a more balanced crew as better equipped than simply providing these type of rifles to all persons. That, or they simply want to just replace the M4 and keep the M249 SAW. 

Not sure, it isn't clear to me. Anyone that can shed some light on this? It's a mean gun though according to the specs. 

So for me growing up in the Caribbean and living in the U.S now, there is a big transition from the Captain Jack Sparrow type weapons to these Jagged metal means of destroyers. But basically in a nutshell i have no experience with these type of weapons because even back home growing up i was a very sheltered child but now being more open to these things I will give myself that little extra edge an look more into these munitions.

I will also read up on more these articles Jersans but what i realized from what i read (my opinion) I go with the M27 because it can seen as a designated Marksman rifle while being fired in semi auto. 

I dont know if what i just said made any sense but feel free to comment on my mistakes below. 

This topic is quite interesting and will also like to hear everyone else views!!!!!

-CNJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle

Well i must say pass. This "automatic rifle" acts exactly like the russian ak version with a bigger mag called rpk but holds less ammo. Still i would like to see a new m249 than this thing. Or why not give them miniguns for fun :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) and Light Machine Gun (LMG) seem has a different terms in meaning. HK M27 is an IAR, which adopting standard-long magazines (<30 rds) instead of more drum/box magazine (100-200 rds) in one person of a squad, sounded that the USMC seem wanted to replace it with M27 since M249 has been long in service for many years (there are some problems might be known on M249, such as gun jammed while firing, maintenance costs etc.). I'm pretty sure that these will still remain not in Marine Corps but in the Army instead...

And yet they are assessing them by terms of its reliability, handling, accuracy etc. It is good as it looks (somehow better than M249), with standard Harris bipod for suppressing fire while proning, a longer heavy barrel for stability firing over mid-long range and some optic attachments for effective aiming. This gun suits up for necessary suppresion (using less rounds on specific targets) and CQC battles in the field, much better than M249 since it's heavier than M27.

This doctrine, will be exist to some countries in future, they might be going to replace their AR platform with something lighter than LMG's

Yeah, i think it's good weapon overall, i always like what HK did back there, they're all good stuff..

RPK and Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) are the examples for IAR.

12 hours ago, CNJ Jonathan said:

I will also read up on more these articles Jersans but what i realized from what i read (my opinion) I go with the M27 because it can seen as a designated Marksman rifle while being fired in semi auto. 

And yet this is the same as his older brother, HK417 :), BUT he is a DMR instead of IAR (HK M27 as USMC said 'two-weapons in one', both as IAR for close-quarters/suppressing and possibly DMR for engaging specific targets at certain range with stable accuracy)

And if they're having M27 to replace M4/M16's, would that be too expensive instead of M27 replacing the M249?

HK XM8 and guns from Individual Carbine competition for M4 replacement (such as KAC SR-16, RobArms XCR, LWRC M6A4, Remington ACR, FN SCAR, Colt CM901 and suprisingly HK416 ITSELF-!) are the victims on this.. :(

- Inch

PS: Oh, btw. The Indonesian Marine Corps (Amphibious Recon team) also testing these as well (what a dream.. :P)

marinir-uji-coba-senjata-laras-panjang-jenis-infantery-assoult-rifle-iar.jpeg

• Upvote 3