Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Why is this a thing?

=VG= Nyther

24 minutes ago, Nyther the Komrade Dog said:

Can someone actually give me a good explanation on how this can be usefull and why this is a thing?

this is your computer ... you just have to click this program down, then you can use it to write things, surf in net or listen to music ...; P

What do you mean exactly?

Looks like you just opened the startbar twice ...

I think I got it.^^
you mean the extreme pull and the kind of arrangement?
there are people with visual disabilities ... who then have larger icons.
In addition, windows is not only used at home. At workstations of any kind it is sometimes useful to be able to move it elsewhere or resized it.

• Upvote 1

It might be good for a POS (point of sale) computer with no keyboard (or stored keyboard), too.

There are some computers that are essentially a huge touchscreen, all in one in that form factor - so they have options such as this for potential scenarios we may never use as PC Gamers.

I don't know so much about Linux, but after years of discussions with SolarFlame, I've learned that Windows is the way it is because it's designed to be ready for ANYTHING consumers may use it for or attach to it right out of the box, whereas an OS like Linux is more modular where the user may only install OS functions for the gear they will use and operations for tasks that they will make use of, resulting in a much smaller HDD footprint and less RAM usage overall at idle.

I guarantee there is PLENTY in Windows you might run across that you will NEVER have a use for. ;)

• Upvote 1

I've never used a second line on my taskbar, but I use accessibility options on my touchscreen laptop to make icons and the taskbar huge and they can get forced to two lines - in that scenario, I could drag the taskbar height if I didn't want to scroll it.
Though it's still frustrating, I have found reasons to like the new Windows 10 start menu (after plenty of modifications) and I can group my many frequently used programs and games more easily than in past Win OS versions.  I particularly like that I can group all my Adobe icons into one icon that expands when I click it.  Really jives with my OCD.  Of course, on that note, there are icons that don't play nicely like the FireFox one with it's odd blue background (I could probably customize it if it really bothered me that much, though).

Win10 transparent startmenu and taskbar.PNG

• Upvote 1