Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Falcon BMS Multiplayer IVC Comms SOP

=VG= SemlerPDX

Falcon BMS IVC Multiplayer Comms Setup SOP

*Talk on VHF unless you have a radio failure!

Always open IVC Client first -- Check Sound Device Assignments
PUB bms comms pic 1.jpg

BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT:
1. Open Data Cartridge
2. Click COMMS tab at top
3. Change Preset to # 15
4. Click SET TOWER
5. Click SAVE
PUB bms comms pic 2.jpg

During RAMP Start, ensure AUX COMM Control is set to UFC

PUB bms comms pic 3.jpg

Set both Radio Mode knobs as shown; ensure COMM1 and COMM2 volumes are set above OFF:
PUB bms comms pic 4.png

Use the ICP to move the Scratchpad Indicator to the VHF and UHF Fields
Use the Control Rocker to change channels.
We always set UHF to 15 prior to Takeoff -- We set VHF to 1*
*(if other groups are online, we set VHF to Package Channel during RAMP)
PUB bms comms pic 5.png

After takeoff and departure, we set both VHF and UHF to our Package Channel
This number depends on how many other groups are flying on the server
First Group would be 6, next 7, and so on -- See chart below explaining Preset Comms Channel usages
PUB bms comms pic 6.png

Your Push to Talk buttons for VHF and UHF will depend on your control setup.
These controls are part of a HAT Switch on the Throttle lever.
Only one person can transmit at a time, and others will not be able to interrupt.
Brevity is highly encouraged!

Reference:

Default Radio Frequency Presets
Agency UHF Preset VHF
Flight 1 297.50 1 138.05
Flight 2 381.30 2 138.10
Flight 3 275.80 3 138.20
Flight 4 294.70 4 126.20
Flight 5 279.60 5 134.25
Package 1 349.00 6 133.15
Package 2 377.10 7 132.35
Package 3 292.20 8 126.15
Package 4 264.60 9 132.875
Package 5 286.40 10 132.325
From Package 354.40 11 132.575
Proximity 269.10 12 121.20
Team** 307.30 13 119.50
Broadcast/Guard 377.20 14 120.10
Open 354.00 15 134.10
Open 318.10 16 126.80
Open 359.30 17 120.00
Open 324.50 18 141.80
Open 339.10 19 123.70
Open 280.50 20 121.70

Radios

COM1 and COM2 (UHF and VHF) both have 20 presets available to them and each preset can be assigned a valid frequency within its respective band range. There are separate up-front and backup control sets for the UHF radio (ICP/DED-based and UHF control head respectively) and the backup radio has only 19 presets available.

UHF

The UHF band frequencies are from 225.000-399.975 MHz in 25 kHz stepping. Since 25 kHz stepping applies, the 5th digit of a 6-digit freq must end with 0, 2, 5, or 7 and the 6th digit must end in 5 or 0.
Examples of valid freqs: 371.075, 377.10, 271.6.
Examples of invalid freqs: 339.11, 271.14.
It should be noted that the pilot may only input freqs using 5 digits and he will only see 5 digits in the Upfront Controls (UFC, i.e., the DED), but it is possible to assign preset freqs with 6 digits. Although this capability will rarely be used, it is possible by using the DTC and will always be required if entering frequencies direct into the IVC client applet.

VHF

The VHF band frequencies are from (AM mode) 116.000-151.975 MHz in 25 kHz stepping. The FM mode (30.000-87.975 MHz) is not implemented. The rules regarding digit input are the same as those which apply to the UHF band.

**Setting the UI Radio Frequencies (For reference only!  This is not an SOP at the VG BMS Server!)
To change the team frequency (preset 13) to a non-default channel, open up the C:\Program Files\Falcon BMS 4.33 U1\User\Config\falconbms.cfg file with a plain text editor like Notepad.

Advanced Users participating in PvP Force on Force Servers can edit these lines:

///////////////////

// Misc Settings //

///////////////////

set g_bVoiceCom 1 // Enable Voice Communications

set g_nF1TeamUiFreq xxxxxx // Frequency for F1 UI voice comms (for Force on Force type missions).

set g_nF2TeamUiFreq xxxxxx // Frequency for F2 UI voice comms (for Force on Force type missions).

(replacing xxxxxx with your team and squadrons pre-briefed frequencies.)

• Upvote 4

I finally had my own flying radio station to transmit long distance music,but then then semler comes. No transmit on UHF!! Like common man I finally got my listeners tuned in to the correct frequency now I have to tell them we have to switch xD 

all jokes aside,

good post but wouldn’t it be handy to add it to the blog section like jeffu did with his joystick.

as it seems more and more “how to” are getting made. maybe all bundle them together so all information can be found without having to crawl trough the posts

@SemlerPDX  - Good instructions, followed them and they worked fine, I'm ready to try communicating without TS. :P

Ah I did notice one point that you may wish to add and that is even though we set the preset 15 to Tower, those frequencies are not set in the cockpit until we upload the DTC via the MFD.

Otherwise its perfect!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

@SemlerPDX  - Good instructions, followed them and they worked fine, I'm ready to try communicating without TS. :P

Ah I did notice one point that you may wish to add and that is even though we set the preset 15 to Tower, those frequencies are not set in the cockpit until we upload the DTC via the MFD.

Otherwise its perfect!

Yes, another thing to add would be to not check in with your flight until the DTC is loaded, so you don't get into contact and then wonder why the radio stopped working.

Other great things to add would be enabling loudness = 1 in the IVC.ini file, as well as learning to check for a stuck mic.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

not set in the cockpit until we upload the DTC via the MFD

1 hour ago, Jeffu said:

(do) not check in with your flight until the DTC is loaded

I'm glad you pointed this out.  And Double_13 has a good point about using the Blog system to present different guides for a more easy to read list of them.  I'll cover the Configuration setup in my next one, and this bit will be part of it.  At least here, we can discuss things like this that I may have glossed over, so I'll likely post these first to the forums, make revisions and get input, and then copy them into the blog section where they can be pinned under Jeffu's blog.

Regarding the concept of Loading DTC, etc.:

There is only so much a person can be expected to simulate in BMS -- most users should uncheck No DTC for Ramp Start in the config.

When it comes to communications, and for stability and simplicity in a multiplayer environment, it is extremely helpful to NOT suppress the automatic loading of the DTC cartridge by removing* this step from your RAMP start and allowing BMS to load it every time you climb into the cockpit.

This way, no matter what happens, you have access to your Radio Presets, Target Presets, Custom EWS settings, and Custom MFD arrangements in the event of a software crash and subsequent re-join to the server and flight.  You will not have to use your MFD to upload/load the DTC, *but doing so will not hurt anything (so the actions can still be simulated by you, even if redundant).

We also suggest the config setting to allow AWACS requests at all times, to prevent potential friendly fire incidents.  If you are a Pro flying here just for fun, but you need that challenge and higher realism, it's okay for you to disregard this, but most users should not to enjoy a level of consistency and to build a more stable situational awareness in a casual multiplayer environment such as the VG BMS Server.

We recommend keeping this box UNCHECKED.  As mentioned above, it is advisable to have AWACS Required UNCHECKED as well.

PUB bms comms pic CONFIG.png

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

I finally had my own flying radio station to transmit long distance music,but then then semler comes. No transmit on UHF!! Like common man I finally got my listeners tuned in to the correct frequency now I have to tell them we have to switch xD

Couldn't you use one of the Open channels for that? 16-20,e.g.  preset channel 20 and tell your listeners to tune into UHF 280.50!

Nice list of carrier channels.  The only reason I did not include any of those tables, or airbases as well, is because it's more of a "how to" SOP for preset radio channel usage for the VG BMS Campaign, and for the carriers we only have the one (Vinson) on our server, and the same procedure applies unless you are taking off from a different airbase than the carrier you are landing on, which would be odd.  You set your "home plate" frequency to Preset Channel 15 prior to launching into the mission.  Great table link, though! Thank you!

• Upvote 1