Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server conection time out (cannot connect)

CHUMBO

Have you ever been able to connect to our server?  If so, has anything changed on your end since then - any new hardware, new version of Windows installed, any changes to your PC's network adapter, or your router/modem?

Have you ensured that BMS is allowed through Windows Firewall?

7tOt2N0.png

• 1 month later...

I have the same issues.

I'm running win10 64bit, firewall is disabled but I added the 32bit bms exe to the allowed applications nevertheless. I can successfully connect to a bunch of servers except the veteran's. 

I've added portforwards to my lan computer (not sure if this is actually needed as a client since NAT should manage it (and does with all the other servers I can connect to)). My router is a freebsd based system (opnsense) and I'm fairly sure it can't be the issue. I have no way to replace it and don't see the need for as I'm using it since years for everything without any problems. I even allowed all connections from the veteran's server IP, still no luck. Since I can't ping the server (none of my friends can so I assume ping is blocked) I don't know what latency I have. My ISP is Vodafone (Germany) with a 400/25 MBit connection. I also can't see any incoming connections from the veteran's server in the firewall log and tcpdump (it does also handle udp, don't get confused by the name).

I have added a firewall rule on my router to allow incoming ping packets from the veteran's IP so if an admin could ping me from the server (you should get my ip from this post, if not, pm me and I give it to you) and check if the latency might be an issue that would be great!

Traceroute ends at 

14  50.115.157.46 (50.115.157.46)  144.265 ms * *

(full traceroute from the 4th hop on: https://nopaste.xyz/?33960b9f410a187c#u/Agwpr/m00kbsNEub8i5CBTTcp0lgdewauGtLdzENw= )

The last hop, or even the BMS server, probably blocks all in by default. That means any traceroutes will get dropped. Unfortunately I don't have access to the BMS server. The details are probably somewhere but I wouldn't want to mess about with it.

Latency wouldn't prevent you connecting. Might stop you playing though. 

Show me a packet capture (using wireshark or tcpdump) and ill take a look. The game server won't initiate a connection to you, you initiate a connection to it. You should see packets going off to the server and hopefully packets returning. I'd imagine the server uses UDP and TCP. Do you see any TCP SYNs going to the BMS server? Do you ever receive a SYN ACK?

• Upvote 2

Hi SolarFrame1, thanks for your reply.

Here is the tcpdump: https://nopaste.xyz/?83ebf474cf089c07#eLyBAHyuH/wsQOv1oGF/Jhaz0efJZFuGJc/huBeXbKk=

there is no TCP involved and there are packets coming back to me but I still got "server reply timed out". This is odd. :-/

I'm currently trying to figure out how to tcpdump on windows.. any tipps? :)

21 hours ago, =VG= SolarFlame1 said:

Unfortunately I don't have access to the BMS server. The details are probably somewhere but I wouldn't want to mess about with it.

@=VG= SolarFlame1 Technically, you can find the info on our page, but it is best that you do not mess with it as you said - the server does not multi-task well, and if there are more than 4 players flying around, anyone working on the server will risk crashing the main application (BMS) that it is running.

If you can help to troubleshoot this issue, I'd be happy to help you out, but I believe the best time is early to mid-morning for you (that would be middle of the night for most VG BMS players, so the server would be empty).  And I might be asleep - but we should talk sometime in person about this.   We could make sure no one is flying, and shut it down.  I do any and all maintenance when no one is flying.   The server auto-save's every 2 hours, so it is unlikely that you could seriously mess up a misson/Campaign in progress, just FYI.  You'd just login, end the processes via task manager (Falcon BMS.exe and IVC.exe) and do your stuff.  Force closing the programs won't hurt it at all.  I'd login the next morning and restart the server.  Eazy peazy.  (that's just in case you ever wish to check out that server ;) )

The only problem with you logging into the server is that when you leave, the server will lock up to the Windows login screen and I'd have to come in afterwards to fix that.  Again, we should talk in person someday, too many details (some sensitive) for me to type up here.  

This is not the first time a player has had this sort of issue connecting, coming from a country where people already connect without issue, and in this case, he's even in a major city (Hamburg) and not the middle of nowhere it seems.  I do assume it has to do with his hardware configuration, a user issue and not a server issue, since we all connect well from US, UK, and Europe already with no extra steps required, no ports needing to be forwarded.

On 5 April 2017 at 9:54 AM, lotherk said:

Here is the tcpdump: https://nopaste.xyz/?83ebf474cf089c07#eLyBAHyuH/wsQOv1oGF/Jhaz0efJZFuGJc/huBeXbKk=

I'm currently trying to figure out how to tcpdump on windows.. any tipps? :)

Wireshark on windows. Run a capture and attach to this thread. Make sure you try to connect to a game with the wireshark capture running in the background. Save as pcap file type.