Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Project Reality Headtracking?

G'Kar

I got good news and bad news.

Bad news: No. This tool doesn't work anymore. When PR got it's own EXE years ago the tool stopped working. Says it right there in the FreeTrack Forum: http://www.free-track.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2998&page=1
PR has changed even more since then and there are a lot of little things the tool checks for. If you want to find somebody to go through the trouble of reverse engineering and fixing it or starting from scratch, try the PR forums.

Good news: Getting 3DOF head tracking working for vehicles is possible using a tool like GlovePIE.
You can translate the head tracking input to mouse input and automatically hold the mouselook key for you, once you move your head past a certain threshold. You'd need an extra key to toggle on/off to avoid screwing up your aim but it's at least an option.

IMO unless you're a dedicated pilot it's not worth the trouble. Any other vehicle station only requires one hand to control, leaving the mouse free to look around.

• Upvote 4

As Brain said the original BF2Freelook no longer works BUT there is an edited/fixed version that will work with the latest version of PR (Forgotten Hope 2 also works with it from memory) which can be found on the second post from the top of this page (Project Reality Forum) along with instructions on how to get it working.

So, headtracking actually does work still, sort  of. From the sounds of things it might not work with the TrackIR software (although i'm not 100% sure about that) but it definitely works with FacetrackNOIR, so webcam only face tracking, a homemade headtracker, or the cheaper headtracking kits like Delanclip or  Trackhat, etc should all still work.

• Upvote 1

I tried many years ago to get my TrackIR to work with PR - I was a pilot, mostly flew CAS choppers.  I set the TIR to a mouse emulation mode and a macro to toggle the mouse look function. 

Biggest problem I ran into was that when mouse look is active, no other controls were recognized (I believe this even included throttle, IIRC) - but this could have been due to the way I was toggling the Mouse Look button.  Was more trouble than it was worth, and never got it working better than that.

• Upvote 1