Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Questions about building a PC

=VG= Acro1

Hey all

I'm currently looking into having my own PC custom built. The list of options is endless. I'm looking to build a beast that will survive for the next couple of years at least, so I'm including some top-level hardware. I'm not savvy enough to know everything about this so I'd like to ask these questions.

• NVIDIA GTX 1080 vs AMD equivalent?
    Everyone is praising the 1080 for it's glorious performance, while others claim there's AMD cards that match the performance at half the price. What would you recommend? Is there an amazing GPU combo I should consider?

• CPU: Intel vs AMD
    I'm looking at the latest Intel i7 6700K 4x4.00Ghz CPU, and again some tell me an AMD processor is just as fast, for less money. Thoughts?

• Air vs Liquid cooling
    Liquid is obviously more expensive, but is it worth it?

• What's the difference between 1150,1151 and 2011-3 Mobo sockets? Is one preferable over another?

• RAM-wise, is 4x8GB better than 2x16GB? Also is any RAM as good as the other or are there better performing brands?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Upvote 3

GPU: Go for the twin RX 480's (8 gig Vram one) basicly the same price for much more vram and a bit better preformance than the 1080

CPU: 6700k is the best to get for gaming and editing etc. tbh, don't even get in a 100000 mile radius to the AMD CPU's until they get the ZEN architecture (most AMD CPU's are 2011 or something like that old tech shit) 

Cooling: Go for the Liquid one if You get the 6700k, especially if You plan to OC it

Socket: You need the one that fits the 6700k and preferably one that supports Overclock for the CPU and GPU

RAM: I suggest buying DDR 4 Ram, personally I don't need more than 8 gigs, but I woud say go for 2x16gigs since they use less RAM Ports, so that means more RAM!

And make shure to get a PSU to support all the hardware..

I personally prefer AMD, like you said performance is great at the budget. My last PC I built was in 2012 and still goes strong, fallout 4 and GTA 5 no issues. I'm running 16 GB ram.  Running a sabertooth mobo that is amazing.I have only dumped a CPU cooler in since my stock was not working well. My current bottle neck is Internet. 

What does your current room temp run? If it is constantly hot and you are looking for a compact build liquid does have pros. I believe some other VG members have liquid cooled rigs and all have praise for them. I personally don't run hot due to large case and air cooling system that vents well.  

I can post my specs when I'm done work so that will be 5ish hours if you need. 

Thanks for your replies peeps!@=VG= BrakeGamer I just discovered that my design and CAD suites don't work well with AMD so I will buy the 1070. Thanks for your tips on cooling and PSU. Would 850W suffice? Also I'm thinking of the Coolermaster 690 CM III case. Is that one good?

@=VG= m823us I'd love to see those specs!

The 650 Watt power supply woud leave You with more than enough since the new Pascal arhitecture is optimized af when it comes to Power Drain to Rendering Ratio, and the case shoud be just fine, but just make shure to google Your Mobo when You decide to buy it to make shure it fits, but it shoud in most cases...  get it? 

P.S. You are one lucky mofo to be able to afford such a build ;)

Here is what I am running:

Asustek Sabertooth 990FX motherboard AM3r2 

AMD FX-8150 (8 core processor) 3.61 GHz

16 GB RAM DDR3 GSKILL F3-14900CL10-8GBXL (2X8 GB)

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

HP DVD writer

Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes

Kingston SH103S3 120G SATA DISK DRIVE

OCZ AGIL ITY3 SATA DRIVE (My OS's are here) 120 GB

SEAGATE FREEAGENT GO FLEX USB DRIVE (All my steam and games are on here) 1TB

ST310005 24AS sata disk drive 1 TB

Toshiba mk1637gsx sata drive 160 GB

I am running a 650 W power 

Windows 7 Ultimate

It cost a pretty penny when I built it but parts are getting cheaper and more enhanced processing power is capable.  Hope this helps!

I found this site after I built my machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/

NVIDIA, there is no question about it. The 1070 and 1080 just annihilate anything AMD has put on the market. I would not recommend going for a multi-card configuration since it tends to increase frame time and latency which can be really annoying and make the high framerates you gain redundant. 

Intel absolutely destroys AMD as well when it comes to CPU performance. A quad core intel is outperforming a octa core AMD. For a typical gaming PC and some video/CAD work the i7 6700K should be fine instead of opting for the more expensive, more cores of 2011v3. Really depends on how much horsepower you are willing to pay for. 

Air cooling. The Noctua NH-D15 is quieter and performs just as well as any AIO cooler (pump noise anyone?). Custom watercooling only if you are willing to spend an ungodly time on maintenance. Been there done that, would not recommend for most people. 

Motherboard sockets are just about CPU compatability. 1151 is for current generation consumer CPUs and 2011v3 is for enthusiast/workstation grade CPUs (more expensive, more cores). Just make sure you get a Z170 chipset, and not H or B chipset if you want full features and overclocking. 

Unless you are going for a 2011v3 build, 2x16GB will perform just as well since you are limited to dual channel, and it gives you the ability to go for 64GB in the future if you deem such overkill necessary. The key to selecting RAM is balancing timings vs frequency. 2400MHz RAM on CL14-15 is better than 3000MHz on CL17-18. 

As for power supplies, make sure you get a good brand. Corsair AX/HX series are very good, also EVGA SuperNOVA P2. Stay away from Corsair's RM/CS series, they are cheap garbage. 600-700W is plenty power for a single card. 80+ Platinum is recommended by me. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, StormHawk10 said:

+1ing this because despite not having the money right now I really need to upgrade from this Alienware X51. Thanks for the suggestions Brake.

A fellow x51 user! Yeah i've also been meaning to either upgrade this rig or start fresh i just feel like there is too many options! Not only that, but because i'm not as computer savvy as i was in my teens i wouldn't have a clue what hardware is compatible with others. Planning on giving myself a fairly decent price range, just not knowing what to get with the money is painful!

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:44 AM, Acromarts said:

Hey all

I'm currently looking into having my own PC custom built. The list of options is endless. I'm looking to build a beast that will survive for the next couple of years at least, so I'm including some top-level hardware. I'm not savvy enough to know everything about this so I'd like to ask these questions.

• NVIDIA GTX 1080 vs AMD equivalent?
    Everyone is praising the 1080 for it's glorious performance, while others claim there's AMD cards that match the performance at half the price. What would you recommend? Is there an amazing GPU combo I should consider?

• CPU: Intel vs AMD
    I'm looking at the latest Intel i7 6700K 4x4.00Ghz CPU, and again some tell me an AMD processor is just as fast, for less money. Thoughts?

• Air vs Liquid cooling
    Liquid is obviously more expensive, but is it worth it?

• What's the difference between 1150,1151 and 2011-3 Mobo sockets? Is one preferable over another?

• RAM-wise, is 4x8GB better than 2x16GB? Also is any RAM as good as the other or are there better performing brands?

Thanks a lot for your help!

No.

Intel is mo' better.

Liquid cooled. 

I do not know the difference. 

No.  CRUCIAL

Would say AMD, over NVIDIA just cant beat the price comparison. Any draw backs (Which i've never suffered personally.) are pretty much worth the essentially half price. Plus you wont actually feel those drawbacks for enough years that saving a few each year for your next build will cover it easily. Also heard a lot of complaints about NVIDIA Drivers being a pain.

Ram everyone has said it. 2x16GB Because why not future proof.

That Tower case should be fine and probably leaves air-cooling as a legitimate option if you don't want to spend the extensive sum required for WaterCooling. Worth it but only if your running pretty hot as it is now.

Power supplies as already noted Get yourself a good brand I use SuperFlower and have only praise. 80+ Platinum is definitely recommended.

• Upvote 1