Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Pavillion 9120 Elite Transformed into Gaming Beast

=VG= SemlerPDX

(I guess I should have got an Evo like Tortia, these cell phone pictures suck!)

The stock case is tiny, cramped with wires, and runs too hot to game even in winter. That's a small eyeglasses screwdriver sitting in it for comparison:

I picked the Thermaltake Black Widow mid-tower for it's size and filtered cooling:

Filtered Front Panel:

Filtered Front Main Intake Fan:

And Filtered Power Supply Intake:

Old heatsink and crappy fan replaced with Thermaltake Black Widow heatsink - I use Artic Silver Ceramique for it's fast, 25-hour cure time:

The included fan speed control had a 2-inch wire, so I used a longer one so I could drill a hole & mount it nicely on the rear panel:

If the Phenom II X4 processor is the brains of a game PC, the graphics card is the heart:

It's gotta have a bigger power supply, too. The Corsair Gaming Series 600W PSU has blue LED's, so you know it can power this card: (lol)

Just enough air-flow room for a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme: (still can't set PR to Ultra High audio, though)

They put in all that effort to filter the front intakes, but this gigantic side-panel fan blows directly onto the mainboard and everything !shok I've since added a cellulose filter to it:

The Black Widow is built! Win7 in RAID-0 on 2 500GB 7200RPM 16MB buffered Drives, the old 7200 drive slaved as a 12GB Paging File drive and archive backup drive. With 4 cores and 8GB of DDR3, this thing eats games like ArmA and GTA4(PC) for breakfast at high settings:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Thanks, guys! Yeah, super sense of accomplishment!

The 6770 has a stock clocked GPU @ 900MHz & Memory @ 1010MHz;
I've got her purring at 940MHz GPU and 1310MHz Memory Clock.
Course, Prime95 and Everest are no benchmarkers compared to ArmA:OA and GTA4(PC).
It plays ArmA at a very solid 57 FPS avg. on high settings, 1600x900 resolution.
GTA4, I can set everything to max except daytime shadows and I get a solid 45 FPS.

It's not technically bare-bones, but damn near close. That is the stock Pegatron mainboard from the e9120y, as well as the DDR3, and Phenom II X4.

• 6 months later...
maan how did i miss this thread? awesome build Semler!

i think you have the next case up from me :) Thermaltake are the shit lol. oh, and really nice CPU choice there sir ;) haha. and that fan control dial is sweeet

Man i really need a graphics card :/ - would a 650W PSU be good to run a 6850? i'm just worried about the CPU and GPU both eating all the Wattage and my computer igniting lol

once again, awesome build (and the pictures weren't that bad tbh)

Murder