Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Unban Request for Zach/Masonz2

=VG= SavageCDN

Reason I was banned: I recently moved into a college dorm and am now living with a roommate. One night, he saw that I was playing Arma 2, and he thought it was cool and asked if he could try it out. Well I was on the VETERANS-GAMING COOP ArmA2 OA Insurgency Server, but I thought nothing of it, and I gave him a few tips on how to play. He said that he was fine playing alone, and that he didn't need help. So I left the room leaving a set of rules so that he would play like any other disciplined player. I came back around one hour to two hours later, and he told me that he was banned for griefing. I guess he thought it would be funny break my set of rules, and to blow things up and kill his teammates. This made me quite mad because I always played on that server before I went to college.

Personal Statement: I am an honest player, I have never been the one to grief on any server, or even in any game. I usually play with my team, as a team player and I respect people when they are playing. You could make an argument that my roommate was my responsibility, but I disagree. I gave him careful instructions to NOT grief, yet he did so anyway. I believe that my responsibility was to give a set of rules to him, and his responsibility was to follow those rules. He broke those rules, that was his decision. So ultimately it's my roommates fault for my ban, not mine.

Server: VETERANS-GAMING COOP ArmA2 OA Insurgency Server

Banned username: Zach (Could be Masonz2 as well)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard that one before...
So, I was trying to imagine, with regards to responsibility (and who is to blame in such cases), and I swapped out the words involving video game with Handgun and Shoot/Shooter. I think it's a lot easier for me to make my point about who is responsible if you place something important or dangerous in place of the Arma Game and your Ban. Thank goodness this was only a matter of a video game, and not something more dangerous, of course.

You're in college now, it's important that you know how to assess responsibility in any given situation, or at least be fully aware of where you are responsible so to act accordingly, regardless of the importance (Video game Vs. Car/Gun/Baby/Pet)
Basically, you don't put a loaded gun in the hands of a moron, or in this case, your copy of Arma connected to a Game Server you enjoy playing on. In either case, YOU are responsible. Here's why:

By reading this "Mad Libb" you will see why your reasoning is wrong - it is you that are responsible for your possessions, your internet, your PC, your weapons (if owned any). You are responsible for your own trust in others, your judgements of others, and what you choose to trust them with - it would be the same if your PC was unlocked/not passworded, and used without your approval, because it is your responsibility to secure your own things. You clearly did not know this roomate well enough to trust him or leave him alone with your online game account logged into a server that someone else pays for.
We pay a lot for that i7 2600k each month; it's the main reason for our fast servers.

I recently moved into a college dorm and am now living with a roommate. One night, he saw that I was playing with my Handgun, and he thought it was cool and asked if he could try it out.
...and I gave him a few tips on how to Shoot. He said that he was fine Shooting alone, and that he didn't need help. So I left the room leaving a set of rules so that he would Shoot like any other disciplined Shooter. I came back around one hour to two hours later, and he told me that he (failed). I guess he thought it would be funny break my set of rules...

You could make an argument that my roommate was my responsibility, but I disagree. I gave him careful instructions. I believe that my responsibility was to give a set of rules to him, and his responsibility was to follow those rules. He broke those rules, that was his decision. So ultimately it's my roommates fault, not mine.

If the Admin who banned you wants to give you a second chance, and on the chance that they believe and are not offended by your side of the story (involving the highly original "roomate" excuse), then you will be placed on probation, and watched, and once again banned if anything like this happens again.

We will wait for the Admin who banned you to respond here...be patient.

The ban was about 2 months ago. Your mad libs definitely works and I won't deny that. But I'm not going to lie, it's a little unfair, and a bit of a stretch to relate this to giving him a handgun. Letting your roommate play a video game seems WAY more harmless than letting your roommate play with a gun. In the situation, it seemed only generous to let him try the game out. Remember this, I was watching him play for a little bit, and he seemed like a fair and disciplined player. But I agree with you that I gave him my trust. I witnessed him being a strong scholar all semester and being a gentleman, and he earned my trust. So I guess giving him my trust, I was at fault. But to ban someone for trusting another man, and that trusted man making the bad decision to "pull the trigger," if I may, seems harsh. But I have to leave that decision to you guys. I only hope for the best, and I stick with my innocence.

Not trying to relate the seriousness of gun use to letting someone play your video game; point was that you can swap out any noun/verb set for the key points, and still come out with the resolution that you are the responsible party, as in, you left someone unattended on your account - as far as you know, he could have also used your computer to download stuff(bad stuff) while unattended. Sure, you come from a base of thinking this person is worthy of your trust, but this is something that we hear very often on game servers.

So often, in fact, that you may have missed my playful sarcasm about how often we hear this exact excuse - and just like this one, it's usually some time after the incident happened, and it's never the banned person's fault. There will be little recent knowledge of exactly how things happened, if we can even track down the banning Admin specifically. I'd bet dollars to donuts that we have no way of even proving that this was not you, aside from your word.

Not saying that you are lying, let that be very clear. Just know we're on the other side of the window.
We have no way of knowing in any case, ever. All we have to go on is what you say and write. It's not as implausible as a dog eating the very piece of homework due the next day at school, in fact, I let my brother use my PC plenty.

The truth is, we value honesty - and these are merely video games, sometimes people don't even know there ARE rules, let alone that there people paying for the server and admin'ing it actively. That's why we have an unban section.
If we can't get the original Admin who banned you, then we will decide what to do here.
Specifics help. If you could get this roomate in Teamspeak, it would help, but it's a stretch.

I understand where you are coming from SemlerPDX. It's tough to decide off of only someone's word. I appreciate the chance to have this even appealed, I really do. But the only way that I can show you my honesty is through action. If you guys give me the chance to let me play on your server again, I will show you that I was not lying. I will play with integrity, as I always have.

Yes I know, as I'm the admin that directed you here.

However you joined teamspeak and immediately asked me if I was an admin and if there was a way to appeal a ban. Which means today you decided to actively join our teamspeak and try to contact us about the ban.

Why did you not look into this at an earlier stage? There wasn't anything stopping you joining teamspeak when you were first banned to ask about it, so why now?

This post comes across as a bit harsh and rude and I know I'm being direct. I don't mean to be aggressive about it but I've been an admin on this community for a long time (since it began) and frequently players we banned on BF2:PR would come back months later because they had griefed on every other server and basically exhausted the list of servers to play on and so had to start trying to get unbanned on them.

Forgive me for doing the whole detective routine, but being a cop I generally do over-analyse behaviour.

That is incorrect. I did not join your teamspeak channel today. I had it bookmarked, I used to use it a lot since before the ban.

edit: I asked if you were an admin, as a polite gesture, and to just make sure. I knew you were an admin, I just didn't want to sound pushy.

edit 2: Unless if you are asking, why did I connect today? If that's the question, I actually was trying to join other insurgency servers today, but there were reasons why I didn't play on them: I couldn't join them because of a file necessary, or because there weren't enough people. I saw the veterans server near the top of this list and it was populated to about 2/3. Then I remembered that I was banned, so that is why I asked today. Out of curiosity.