Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

New Site with social features.

=VG= BLuDKLoT

Hey guys, I need some beta testers. I've created a new site and I'm thinking of using it as the platform for the new VG site as well. If you'd like to join and help me test, please visit www.preppersmeetup.com please just join the site, set up a profile, start posting stuff, sample the features and let me know what you think about it.

Do you think this would be a good platform to start a new site from?

Please use it and then post your comments here!! Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really think about building a new VG site from that platform. It has several other plugins that would make it just go over the top cool. All we'd need is a custom theme and I think we'd have a nice new site. I need you guys to give me some input or else I'm just going for it. Please use the features and fuck around with it I want to be sure everyone is on board. We can get this done for about $1000 total. Cheapest solution so far. Let me know what you think. I kind of like it. Below is a link to ALL the other plugins we'd also have:

http://community.jcow.net/store

ridDle =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Since I'm one of the few people left in the world who doesn't have facebook, twitter or a blog, it's a bit weird looking. But I'm guessing thats because I'm used to good old forums and have no idea how social networking works. As long as it has a forum I'll survive! ^^

keep in mind i wont look anything like that when we get the theme made. That's just the core PHP of the platform. When we get the theme done, it will look freaking amazing. Right now we're just trying to find something to fill in for all the social community features we need. We're well behind the power curve when it comes to fresh technologies and we really need to get with the times so-to-speak. You guys don't see it, but this site it past it's prime. I like jcow but there are allot of other options out there. This was one of the best so far IMO.

Jcow Professional Core

Features
Allows Branding Removal
Friends
Events
Chat with friends
Private Message
Following/Followers
AJAX publishing box(quick publish status,blog,photo,video)
Notifications
Streams
Blogs
Photos, Photo Albums
Profile Wall
Search Engine Optimized (SEO)
W3C XHTML and CSS Valid. IE/Firefox/Chrome compatibility
Multi-language capability
Template driven interface
Simplified API for developers
And other basic features
Caching system
Automatic caching for homepage (speed up 80%)
Automatic caching for pages (speed up 80%)
Automatic caching for applications (speed up 60%)
Administrator Panel
Website configuration
Custom user Fields
Ads spot management, easy to insert ad code like Google Adsense
Posts management User management
Ban account; Ban IP addresses
Themes management
Implement email verification for new members
Enable/Disable Caching
And more..

Jcow Customizable Profile module

Allows your members to customize the style of their profile pages. Every page can be Unique!
?"Wallpaper" colors, Background colors, Font colors, Link colors, etc.
?Alibity to Upload background Image.
?If a user has liked music, he/she can enable a music player on his/her profile page

Jcow Fan Pages module

Allows your members to create Pages
?People can Like/Un-like Fan Pages.
?Page LOGO
?Page Wall
?Page Blogs
?Page Photos
?Page Events
?Page Videos

Jcow Forums module

Create unlimited discussion forums in your community. The best app for online communities.
?Allow your members to communicate efficiently.
?General threads and Poll threads.
?Your members can upload attachments to their posts.
?BBCODE&Smiles enabled.
?Automatically publish news feed when a thread is started.
?Ability to set moderators help you manage your forums.
?Thread Trash(deleted threads could be revived by administrator)

Jcow Groups module

Allows your members to create/join groups/clubs on your community.
?Common group features: LOGO, description, group members, group posts.
?A group can be set to public or private by the group owner. Only group members can post in a provate group.
?Group owner can set a group password to protect group joining.
?Quick AJAX group posting.

Jcow Classifieds module

Key Features
?Unlimited Categories
?Customizable Column fields.
?Admin can control pending list.
?Users can set expiration date for posting.

Jcow Mobile View module

?Automatically detect Mobile agent.
?Simple and Clear UI
?Get news feed.
?Sign up, Login.
?Add/Approve friends.
?Get recent notifications.

lmao Blud ^

Personally i like it, clean interface and doesnt seem as clunky as the current site, though i love what we have right now hehe.

if we could keep the colors dark like this site, but keep it very clean on the eye on the other. we shouldnt have too much trouble converting imo lol. i'm just worried that iwe may lose some of our traffic if we move site? if not traffic, then current members.

thanks for signing up guys but use the site as well. Post a blog entry, add relavent content if you can. Go through it all and then post you opinions. The developers have agreed to give me 20% off ALL the items so it's a good deal. We just need to figure out oif it's us or not. You can see a full demo of jcow here featuring some of the missing modules we don't have like the forums, groups, pages, etc..

DEMO: http://demo.jcow.net/

Well, it looks good. Fast, buttons where you'd expect them. Tabs for all thing's you'd want - music, video, blog, etc.

I've signed up, and found most everyone on this list. Hard to imagine a clan based website built out of that, not that I lack vision, but it seems social sites feature the "home page" as either my own profile page, or a mass wall page like facebook that shows all my friends and follows activity.

Right now, we have a main page (veterans-gaming.com) that has a chat bar, featured news items, and a forum list of top 10 popular threads. I wonder how this new site's main page will compete with this, in features or looks.

There was a joomla template from a ways back that I liked a lot, but this is very well done as well.... Gonna keep playing with it, and will post another reply with more thoughts later.
!coffee

hey guys I figured out how to control the spam bots. If you can, please go to the site and post something. A blog post, a comment, a pic or vid, anything. just please go post something if you're already registered. I'm trying to test something, thank you again.

www.preppersmeetup.com

Blud