Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Bringing "South Airbase" Mission to the Korangal Valley; Kunar

=VG= SemlerPDX

Thanks to much help from Poffadder and SavageCDN, I have been delving deep into Arma editing "training" and feel I now have a more than basic grasp of the concepts and things I can do. I am still studying AI mods like GL4 and DAC, and though I don't understand yet how to create scripts like those I work with, I at least know how to work with them and those I find online.
!cheers
So...I am (for the moment) benching my Vietnam "Mod" project as PITN has shown me a dynamic mission that I can adapt easily to be a great modern warfare mission on any map we wish. I am going to find a good Kunar Province (Korangal Valley) map today, port it over, and should have public tests up by this evening/tomorrow at the latest. I hear CLAfghan is about the best, but EBanks made one as well.

The big goal is to find something that will draw more players and be a more "dynamic" experience - as in, it will be different every time.
A mission that on startup randomizes everything from roadside IED's, enemy vehicles and aircraft presence, loadscreen texts and loadscreen pictures, etc. This guy really knew what he was doing when he made this mission, and encourages it's use and modification by the community. (he only asks that his name and version number be removed from it, and credits attributed)
At the moment, it starts off with NO armor or Aircraft/Heli. I am going to review that in testing, though as this is supposed to be an infrantry "rapid response" operation, I understand why - but I may add one or two light armor and aircraft if it's needed to help gameplay at the start of the mission(s).

As the mission starts off more like an online SinglePlayer campaign, with no squads for online players to group up in, it will take some vision and modification to be a true teamplay/cooperation mission.

I must add that, left and right, I see elements in this mission that remind me of BF2: Project Reality and the elements that make it such a great multi-player wargame. This may turn out to be a good starting-off point for PR players to get into the Arma experience.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(quote)This may turn out to be a good starting-off point for PR players to get into the Arma experience.

am a PR player and i would like to get into the ArmA OA experience. !yes
iv been lookin into it but i am baffled by the amount of different mods that are needed, !wack
hav only played a little ArmA 2 when it was first released !dntknw

Sweet.
If you have the machine to run it; ARMA 2 is the way to go.

Don't be scared by the mods. Once you got the hang of it they are pretty easy to install and it all makes for a better gameplay.

It still could take a week or two to get used to the rather complex key settings (especially with ACE2 and ACRE).
But, like I said, it all adds up for an AWESOME Co-Op expierience.

The port works, as far as we can tell so far. More testing tomorrow, and a few changes to do. This is one HUGE map!! I'm not missing the acradey feel that too many Arma missions have, but this one may need some playablilty additions.
!alcoh
I'm off for now...

Time flies when you got your brain wrapped around a bunch of .sqf script files I guess.... !alcoh
I have a BETA ready to test, and an ALPHA waiting for approval.\

One thing I need is a Teleport Flag at South Airbase and another at Camp Branca - only to teleport between those two flags, not parajump anywhere.

I recall Poffadder installed one on Domi from Main to POFFOB....could someone (one of us scripters, that is) nab that for me? I'll throw it in tomorrow before we launch the Final BETA tests. If not, I'll hit up the forums again tomorrow.

See you all in about 6 hours.

[EDIT: I figured out the bugs in my Teleport script - much thanks to Poffadder and PITN for the tips! I've already adjusted it and now it works perfectly!)
I'm so proud I could just poop! Here's my very own, and first (self made), script (now including someone elses randomization parameters so he spawns 2m from flagpole):

// by SemlerPDX<br />// Allows players to teleport between South Airfield and Camp Branca by selecting the option on the flagpole at each base.<br />// The player appear 2 meters from the flagpole, so it's not sticking out of his back when he gets there.<br />// Flagpoles each need to be named NEFlag and SEFlag, and their init line should read, respective to each flag:<br />//    INIT: this addAction ("Relocate to Camp Branca","scripts\TeleportNE.sqf";);<br /><br />// Make the Teleport Scrit File called TeleportNE.sqf placed into scripts folder:<br />player globalChat "Relocating to Camp Branca...";<br />vehicle player setPos [(getpos NEFlag select 0)+3,(getpos NEFlag select 1)+3,(getpos NEFlag select 2)+0];<br />

!yahoo

Here are the current issues I'm looking at:

-Squad Leaders should be the only ones who can lock/unlock any type of vehicle period.

-Commander is only one who can get into the Command MEV (I've already got this finished in my current set, no help needed here)

-There needs to be an in game way to view the squad list/and who is in what role similar to what we see when we first join the server and pick our MP slot, use the 1-1-A info each slot has to display a list in game. Review the COIN interface that already exists.

-Spawn on Squad Leader (not all squad members!) This could replace the button in the COIN that is currently used for FOB. It's the bottom right button of 4 (BASE, MHQ, RALLY, FOB)

-I broke the Squad Leader special ability for several Squad Leaders, as in, the game doesn't know that those slots (i.e. 1-1-H) are SL's cause he made the first 19 slots have this ability - by adding squad member roles, they all got shifted, and I didn't respect that when I added them. I want to reorder it so the list still looks as good as it does:
--Infantry Squads listed first in this order (SL, Medic, Engineer, Member 4, Member 5, Member 6.
--Sniper Squads (Sniper Team Leader, Spotter)
--Crewmen (Crew Team Leader, Crewman)
--Pilots (Pilot Wing Leader, Co-Pilot)
--Commander (Last Slot, Bottom of List)

-Lofty, but good idea: The total number of attack aircraft allowed right now is 2, would be nice if this increased (mid-game) if player number was > 18

-Supply Drop C-130 crashes into the high mountains. We increased the start altitude for the UAV for such reasons, need to find out how to for this one as well (i looked, no easy parameter - lots of logical statements, so gotta dig a bit for this one, would love some help)

--Squad Leaders should be the ones to place a Rally Point, shared by everyone but these rally's are heavily scripted as they include the "Choose Pre-set Loadouts" function. Currently, it seems to be player based, only you can physically see your own rally point, or use it.

---BIG ONE, want this fixed ASAP! The display that pops up on your map shows X COORDs and y COORDs is staying up way too long, and I'd love it to be on the left of the screen. Although, it looks like it's slaved to that brown notification window that appears after "reading a sign" and clicking 'continue'. Either way, it stays up too long. If we can't move it, make it disappear in around 5 seconds. Just find the param and we'll try out a few different settings.

--I thought only engineers could diffuse IED's? Last night, Raptor in the US Sniper Team Leader (fully working proper Squad Leader inits and functions) actually had the option to Diffuse or Blow an IED. Gotta check this out, only Engineers should be able to diffuse, everyone else should have to blow it up with heavy ordinance (risking exposure). Also, lets test if a satchel can blow one, or if we need to add a mod/script to allow that.

Squad Leaders should be the only ones who can lock/unlock any type of vehicle period.

The locking scripts I mentioned do exactly this - only SLs can unlock (and I assume the CMDR as well). SL gets an AddAction menu item when near a vehicle allowing him to unlock to use, then lock once finished. Vehicles in the editor must start as LOCKED and there is a script for the vehicle's init line.

**this works in MP on hosted server - need to test on dedi

There needs to be an in game way to view the squad list/and who is in what role similar to what we see when we first join the server and pick our MP slot, use the 1-1-A info each slot has to display a list in game. Review the COIN interface that already exists.

I know you can change the slot names from the default 1-1-A to something more logical. The Domi team status dialog was the best IMO however I tried to figure this out a while back and got stumped. Maybe a fresh look will help.

=VG= SemlerPDX LAN_WROTE ...

Thanks, cuel! And thanks Savage!
Here are the current issues I'm looking at:

-There needs to be an in game way to view the squad list/and who is in what role similar to what we see when we first join the server and pick our MP slot, use the 1-1-A info each slot has to display a list in game. Review the COIN interface that already exists.

What about the insurgency radio trigger? It'll show 1-1-A and the player name and then you can print out the class aswell I guess.
Edit: Don't know what the COIN interface is.

-Spawn on Squad Leader (not all squad members!) This could replace the button in the COIN that is currently used for FOB. It's the bottom right button of 4 (BASE, MHQ, RALLY, FOB)

had something like that for a mission I made a while ago, never had time to test it tho.
_pos = (getPos (leader (group player))) findEmptyPosition [5, 20, typeOf (vehicle player)];
still a lot more stuff to check, alive, waiting for heal, maybe surfaceiswater, enemies nearby etc.

Why remove the FOB? Isn't it useful?

-I broke the Squad Leader special ability for several Squad Leaders, as in, the game doesn't know that those slots (i.e. 1-1-H) are SL's cause he made the first 19 slots have this ability - by adding squad member roles, they all got shifted, and I didn't respect that when I added them. I want to reorder it so the list still looks as good as it does:
--Infantry Squads listed first in this order (SL, Medic, Engineer, Member 4, Member 5, Member 6.
--Sniper Squads (Sniper Team Leader, Spotter)
--Crewmen (Crew Team Leader, Crewman)
--Pilots (Pilot Wing Leader, Co-Pilot)
--Commander (Last Slot, Bottom of List)

I remember I had to edit a mission.sqm (including all 64 sub-classes, manually) just to get the order you see in the lobby the way I wanted it. good times

-Supply Drop C-130 crashes into the high mountains. We increased the start altitude for the UAV for such reasons, need to find out how to for this one as well (i looked, no easy parameter - lots of logical statements, so gotta dig a bit for this one, would love some help)

What was the value of flyInHeight? IIRC There's a maximum value

---BIG ONE, want this fixed ASAP! The display that pops up on your map shows X COORDs and y COORDs is staying up way too long, and I'd love it to be on the left of the screen. Although, it looks like it's slaved to that brown notification window that appears after "reading a sign" and clicking 'continue'. Either way, it stays up too long. If we can't move it, make it disappear in around 5 seconds. Just find the param and we'll try out a few different settings.

How about changing it so the X and Y COORDS will only show when you press it on the radio? That's the only time it's useful right?

--I thought only engineers could diffuse IED's? Last night, Raptor in the US Sniper Team Leader (fully working proper Squad Leader inits and functions) actually had the option to Diffuse or Blow an IED. Gotta check this out, only Engineers should be able to diffuse, everyone else should have to blow it up with heavy ordinance (risking exposure). Also, lets test if a satchel can blow one, or if we need to add a mod/script to allow that.

I took a quick look at defuse.sqf script and from what I could see everyone can defuse mines, only engineers will have a 100% success rate while others have an if(random 2 < 1)

What about the insurgency radio trigger? It'll show 1-1-A and the player name and then you can print out the class aswell I guess.
Edit: Don't know what the COIN interface is.

Good idea. If the show class/whatever stuff is in an .sqf file we can set it to activate using the Radio. COIN interface is what is used in Warfare mode to purchase buildings/items.

had something like that for a mission I made a while ago, never had time to test it tho.
_pos = (getPos (leader (group player))) findEmptyPosition [5, 20, typeOf (vehicle player)];
still a lot more stuff to check, alive, waiting for heal, maybe surfaceiswater, enemies nearby etc

Hey..you sound like you know what you're doing... Semler.. chain this guy to the floor and don't let him leave..lol

I remember I had to edit a mission.sqm (including all 64 sub-classes, manually) just to get the order you see in the lobby the way I wanted it. good times

If memory serves it lists the player slots in the order they were placed in the editor.. which is crazy. We had this problem on the Domination server as well.

I took a quick look at defuse.sqf script and from what I could see everyone can defuse mines, only engineers will have a 100% success rate while others have an if(random 2 < 1)

Actually I like this better than Eng only.

If memory serves it lists the player slots in the order they were placed in the editor.. which is crazy. We had this problem on the Domination server as well.

This is correct, but if you go into the mission.sqm you will be able to see all the information on every object, game logic, etc on the map they are all assigned an item number, and coordinates. example:
                class Item5<br />                {<br />                    position[]={15548.285,9.7125759,617.87231};<br />                    azimut=60;<br />                    special="NONE";<br />                    id=92;<br />                    side="WEST";<br />                    vehicle="ACE_USMC_Soldier_TAR";<br />                    player="PLAY CDG";<br />                    rank="CORPORAL";<br />                    skill=0.60000002;<br />                    text="AR2";<br />                    init="this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1,0];";<br />                    description="2/1st Plt - Alpha Co - AR";}

you can set everything from the init of the item to rank, skill, direction, name that appears in slot selection etc. its all there. now as far as the group like 1-1-A from what i can find that is based off what order the group of soliders was placed in. for each new "group" it adds another 1-1-whatever or 1-2 depending on how many groups you have. i spent 6 hours reordering my mission.sqm because i didnt have it in the order i wanted for player selection on my clafghan mission im working on. i havnt found how to change the 1-1-A yet but im looking.

edit: hierarchy of the groups:
class Groups<br />    {<br />        items=29; //number of "groups"<br />        class Item0 //first group<br />        {<br />            side="WEST"; //sets side of the group<br />            class Vehicles //says that it is either a player or car, etc<br />            {<br />                items=3; //number of items in 1st group<br />                class Item0 //1st item in first group<br />                {<br />                    position[]={15550.22,9.8126583,619.82434}; //starting point of 1st item<br />                    azimut=240; //direction uses flight headings (240=South West)<br />                    special="NONE"; //flying, in formation, etc.<br />                    id=9; //items specific id 1st item on map gets id of 1<br />                    side="WEST"; //vehicles side (can be used to make opfor character show & act as blufor<br />                    vehicle="USMC_Soldier_SL"; //vehicle tyoe (what soldier it is obviously)<br />                    player="PLAY CDG";<br />                    leader=1;//is group leader<br />                    rank="MAJOR";//rank duh<br />                    skill=0.60000002;/skill if ai<br />                    text=""; //title given to character, used to reference the character in scripts/arrays<br />                    init="this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1,0];"; //characters init<br />                    description="1st Plt - Alpha Co - Commander"; //description, what shows up in the selection screen<br />                };

Thanks Raptor! But all that isn't necessary. If you drop your first soldier on the map, he is now 1-1-A, next one is not in his group. So, all that is necessary is to place your group leaders in the order you want, then, in any order, start dropping all your different soldiers, medics, etc.

Delete all their groups if they auto grouped to the nearest SL or just re-order them like this:

First soldier grouped to the SL is #2 in the MP list. So, I've already grouped them in this way, very nicely, I might add.
-SL
-Medic
-Eng.
-Inf
-Inf
-Inf

This issue isn't whether or not it can be done, and how; it is about the fact that there are placeholders that need to occupy a particular class (not so much class item, but for some of them) because they are called in the .fsm's and therefore subsequent scripts.

If the function files think that 1-1-D is one thing, and I change it by adding all those human squad member slots from the 20 squadleaders they were at, I could break one of the functions.

It's alright, I think I have this one in the bag. I'm just making my own global variables in the config and ensuring they can use the different "special" fuctions of their class and not the wrong ones.

Again, I must say, Thanks for all the help and support! This is soo cool!

I am gonna get right on that IED thing, but not to change it. I also have reviewed it since my last post and came to a similar conclusion - (but, one thought - give the engineer a probabilty 10 percent to accidentally blow the IED BUT, he gets a text hint, the custom sound of IED fusing, and at least 4 seconds before it blows)

I also have to remove the CDF soldier cuz they are Arma 2 (vanilla) dependant and replace them with proper Arma 2:OA factions. Also, the MV-22 is still in the Vehicle Order list (derp) I forgot to remove it. This is all fun for me, so I really don't mind the "work" lol

Ok, we are compiling and collaborating with Google Docs with great success.

For all those not on the CLAfghan Project Team, here is a link to a public suggestions format you can use to communicate ideas, parameter change suggestions, and concept suggestions.

Please post all discussions here, but also post simple suggestion statements to be reviewed without comment here in the VG forum, AND also into the public doc I made for data tracking purposes. Here is the link for any and all interested:

(this is helpful as we share all our scripts and changes through a similar format and can see/work with it better by having the public simply add a new suggestion to the doc when they propose an idea here on VG as well. We all review new doc there several times a day and it's instantaneous)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxdvT1LnhVKoNTZmOTkxNjctZDVjYy00MDY2LWI0YzgtYTc3ZGRmNjE2ZGI0