Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Free Falcon 5.55 old file transfer???

tux139

I want to set up another computer I have files , Falcon 4, 5.5, FF6, 4,32 and 4.33 etc.
I can't get 5.5 to load it says I need the source file FF5.
I guess this is a programmers question, I do have A source file called FF5 but is not a application .
The file I have is called < (first of all it shows a square box then) Source.FF5 942,768 KB FF5 File 6/17/2012
MY FF5 file is called< FreeFalcon_5.55 exe 125,331 KB Application 8 14 2012

I tried to drop this FF5 file into the same folder as 5.55 but no luck.
Can I get FF5 to work is the question. I also considered making a image file of my original working FF 5.55 and transfering it but seems like a complicated process

any help appreciated

I hope I am in the right forum for this question if not sorry,

tux139

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why you're hoarding all those files and what you're thinking of doing with them.
Unless FF 6.0 broke something it should have made FF 5.5 obsolete. Also this branch of F4 mods has been discontinued since 2013 and unless there is some dedicated community left to play it you're pretty much on your own.
I never played FF so I can't judge it but with BMS still in development and dedicated websites like Falcon-Online it looks like the better way to go. If there is something about FF you like more it's worth reevaluating and possibly switching to BMS.
In the end both are very similar in that they are based on F4 with focus on the F-16 so focusing on one of them seems like a good idea.

Transferring shouldn't be an issue. In the end it's an old game and old tricks might just work.
Use regedit to export the whole Free Falcon branch in .../SOFTWARE/ (exact location may vary depending on OS, just search for falcon or something until you find it).
Import the .key file on your new PC, enter regedit there as well and find the FF branch again. Look through all the "subfolders" and see if there is a path to the game somewhere. If there is edit this value and make sure it matches the actual location of the game.

No guarantee it will work with FF but it does with BMS.

I personally hate advice like "get a new rig then" but if BMS 4.32 is already to much I don't know what else to tell you. Sorry!

If it's any help: I'm running BMS 4.33 on a shitty 2.5 ghz quad - 4GB Ram - HD57?? and had to do some tweaking. It's suboptimal for sure but sufficient and mostly playable. All of it is REALLY outdated so you should be able to find something even better for just a few bucks.
My knowledge about hardware ends there as I lost interest in those things (f...ing gaming industry) so I can't give you any advice on what to look for.

Sadly it's all I have to offer for now assuming you tried tweaking everything already. If you love F4 consider upgrading .. playing with just a few people online is so much fun ... IF the server behaves itself ... everybody is working on it ;)

No, 4.32 or 4.33 may not be to much, the computer I am using now is
a AMD Athalon 11 x4 630. 2.8 gig. 6 gig of ram,Video card is a GTX 620 .
I tried to set up originally on another computer of mine but was having trouble. May have to dedicate this one for now.
thanks for sharing your set up,
tux139.
PS, I tried to upgrade my other system but got taken for $100 for a used upgrade , was worse than my original setup. I didnt want to use this computer for gaming but looks like it may have to happen.

• 1 month later...