Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Recon/SF training mission WIP

suomikeizari

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

It's a shame that completing an objective is all that matters to you, but I suppose that level of realism doesnt appeal to everyone!

Isn't the whole point of a mission to complete an objective? Otherwise whats the point in doing a mission, why don't you just tell your unit to sit around with their dicks in their hands having a good ol' combat jack?

I'm apparently not into realism but there is a fine line between having realistic and "immersion breaking" things that keep the mission fun and the super hardcore realism where you think you've completed an objective but have to sit around for ages second guessing yourself because there is no confirmation.

At the end of the day, someone will make a decision on whether something has been completed, the person training may make this decision but for the sake of this mission where there wasn't a trainer around some kind of verification is definitely needed

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick note: DAC is included in the ACE mod so no need to add it separately. In the editor select unit, game logic, DAC intern (to use the default DAC values and configs). DAC extern requires you to add the config files to your mission folder. I can show you how to do this if you like. Of course you can use the script version of DAC instead however that will add about 1mb to your mission size.

Also everyone be nice... mission making is hard work and while good feedback is appreciated let's not get carried away.

Hate to quote myself, but I'd like to reitterate - sure we want a realistic experience, but in training especially, some cues would help cuz:

SemlerPDX =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

.... but this is a game, a simulator style game, but still a game. At the very least, the Trainer should get a private "all clear" cue when his trainees have finished key parts of a course. How else could you evaluate them???

Good luck and keep up the scripting - it's the only way to get good at it.

Like, if it's to be just a blank training mission ready for human input and instruction, it still could use a little guidance in that area. I know it's all crazy hard work, and that feedback can put one on the defensive at times, just know that a clear understanding of "what to do" and when it is "done" is always gonna be an essential aspect in training players.

I'm still a big fan of Calv's warm up area mission with the kill houses and pop up red targets. I felt I knew how to run a group through and train them on the procedures, formations, etc. because I knew when I went room to room, and then out of the kill house, that we had finished the little course. I was ran through it myself before becoming a "trainer" at it, and therefore knew what to do, and when my group was done. This is the point people are trying to make, and I feel they are getting frustrated trying to convey their reasoning behind it to the point of this all becoming some kind of flame warish thread.

Example:

"Once, there was a little bird flying South for the winter. It was too late in the season, and it crashed frozen in a field. It sat there yelling, 'PEEP - PEEP - PEEP'. In the pasture, there was a cow who saw the little bird freezing and PEEPing. The cow then turned around a took a giant shit on the little bird. What a terrible day for the bird....but then the warmth of the cow shit started to warm the little bird up, and it started PEEPing againg. 'PEEP - PEEP' Not far off, a fox heard the noise. He promply came over, found the bird, and ate him.

The moral of the story is, not everyone who puts you through shit is trying to hurt you; and when you do find yourself neck deep in the shit, know when it's best to just keep quiet."

People are gonna have opinions that differ, and some are gonna have good advice worth following - let's just keep it cordial and productive. If someone trys to get 'yer goat, don't give it to them - i.e. ignore stupid and unhelpful things, don't get drawn into defensive/offensive statements, and when you want to act condescending and defensive, just bite your tongue. It's all good - just video games here, and a lot of good hearted input.

!cheers