Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Dying Light

=VG= BLuDKLoT

So I got dying light. It seems cool, but my damn computer can't handle it, even on low settings. Anyone know how I could increase my frame rate. I've done all I can think of short of buying a new video card. On that note, what's a good single card to replace my dual ATI HD5870's? I think I need to upgrade lol. Thanks! Blud

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have MSI R9 270x Hawk great card.

but don't think it would be a upgrade for u
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270X-vs-Radeon-HD-5870

HD5870 in Crossfire "should" beat the R9 270x
what price are you look around?

R9 290x would be a OK upgrade @ $310 ($270 after mail in) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127773
Score: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Sapphire-Radeon-R9-290X-vs-Radeon-HD-5870

GTX 970 @ $330+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20600536049%20
Score: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Haven't played it myself and I don't know if you already tried this, but according to pcgamingwiki, disabling the sun shadows seems to drastically increase the performance:

- Go to the configuration file(s) location.
- Find and open varlist_performance.scr with a text editor.
- Search for VarInt and change the following to ("i_shadows_sun_on", 0).
- Launch the game.

Source and nicer description: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dying_Light#Disable_sun_shadows

Good luck

thanks guys I appreciate it. great info. I am going Nvidia but I don't even know wat cards cost these days. I haven't bought a video card in like 4 years. I'll try some of these suggestions tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how things work out. Thanks again.

BLuDKLoT =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

thanks guys I appreciate it. great info. I am going Nvidia but I don't even know wat cards cost these days. I haven't bought a video card in like 4 years. I'll try some of these suggestions tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how things work out. Thanks again.

The GTX 980-Ti should be out soon (and would be like $600+)
GTX 980 is great but if u want something powerfull and use low watts, GTX 970 is a great chose

Don't forget that GTX 970 doesn't really have 4 gb of VRAM.

"Due to limitations of the cut-down GM204 graphics processor used on the model GTX 970, only 3.5GB of memory can be accessed with maximum bandwidth, whereas 512MB pool can be accessed at considerably lower speed, which results in performance degradations in certain cases."

And yes, nvidia lied about this.

Outlanders =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Don't forget that GTX 970 doesn't really have 4 gb of VRAM.

"Due to limitations of the cut-down GM204 graphics processor used on the model GTX 970, only 3.5GB of memory can be accessed with maximum bandwidth, whereas 512MB pool can be accessed at considerably lower speed, which results in performance degradations in certain cases."

And yes, nvidia lied about this.

That is true, but not all games use a lot of vram @ 1080p. (if he plays on 1080p)
I was just throwing it out there, what he really needs to do is research the cards on the games he plays the most and maybe future to find out what card he needs,
and buy video card that his Powersupply can handle ..

he never gave us a $ $ $, who knows maybe he can afford a GTX 980 or even something better he will be set for a long time, AMD still haven't brought out there video cards ....

Yeah, but there's no reason to upgrade unless you wanna play in shoddy optimized garbage. Games like Dying Light and Assassin's Creed Unity will work like shit on almost any system. Not because your computer is weak, but because of lazy developers who are in bed with Nvidia, and they are forcing you to buy new shit every 5 months.

But at the same time, if you don't upgrade, you won't be able to play in most new major games with high framerate.
It's a lose-lose situation.

Blud, what is your budget?

Man I'm more confused than before lol. I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible but I want a card that can handle any game out there without issue. All my other games play fine, so I think you're right lol. What card would you get if you were me? Also, does it matter what card I get, or so do I have to find something compatible with my current system? Will a new card work fine on my 4 year old system?

Here is the great article on current GPUs.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
If was buying i would get GTX 760 or 770.
About compatibility with other parts, you need someone like Semler, Poff or Savage. It always confuses me.
But i know that If you buy something like 970 or 980 you will probably have to change most of your current rig. They are huge, require a lot of voltage and you will need high end CPU that won't bottleneck your giant videocard.
Sites that sell hardware usually have compatibility calculators, you could use those.

BLuDKLoT =VG= LAN_WROTE ...
What card would you get if you were me? Also, does it matter what card I get, or so do I have to find something compatible with my current system? Will a new card work fine on my 4 year old system?

I would get (I know these are not cheap... but i do 3D architecture, i needs the Cores ...)
Titan II > GTX 980=ti > GTX 980 > GTX 970

The Dual cards you got now are = to and slightly better then the card I have now (R9 270x) and the GTX 970 is better then mine,

I know the 970 do not have 4GB of ram, but do you really Need 4GB? the card runs fine with 3.5GB .... http://youtu.be/v6k55epUBCE

New NVIDIA have DX 12,
W10 will be FREE for all who upgrade with in a year

I been testing w10 for MONTHS, i Love it (Still like/miss a few things from w7)

Outlanders =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Here is the great article on current GPUs.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
If was buying i would get GTX 760 or 770.
About compatibility with other parts, you need someone like Semler, Poff or Savage. It always confuses me.
But i know that If you buy something like 970 or 980 you will probably have to change most of your current rig. They are huge, require a lot of voltage and you will need high end CPU that won't bottleneck your giant videocard.
Sites that sell hardware usually have compatibility calculators, you could use those.

"bottleneck" ... that word is withering away, Lolz
soon "bottleneck" will never be a thing, Most places (INTEL) shot them selfs in the foot, LOLz they cant make CPUs faster just use less power ... its funny really.

I run PCI 3.0 video card in a 2.0 Slot, almost 0 performance loss then 3.0, they NEVER maxed out 2.0 they came out with 3.0 to SLI / Crossfire with out needed the bridge ..

-------

If you really want something cheap maybe I sell you my R9 270x HAWK ? but its a 2GB and I dont think it will be worth it, its not that much better then your Crossfire (unless you want to lower your electric bill)
AMD Drivers kinds Suck (TAKE FOREVER to install)

WhiteWolf LAN_WROTE ...

soon "bottleneck" will never be a thing, Most places (INTEL) shot them selfs in the foot, LOLz they cant make CPUs faster just use less power ... its funny really.

Wut? None of those statements are true.

poffadder =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

WhiteWolf LAN_WROTE ...

think what ever you want to think,
But its True,

Really? A bottleneck will be present in any system where nodes have different data throughput and other differing properties.

And just because Intel can't make current transistors switch faster doesn't mean they can't make faster processors. Intel's architectural iterations are still showing a rise in instructions per cycle through the use of clever pipelining and other architecture improvements. Sure we may be straying away from Moore's Law and are reaching the physical limits of silicon based semiconductors but we can still make faster processors.

WhiteWolf LAN_WROTE ...

poffadder =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

WhiteWolf LAN_WROTE ...

think what ever you want to think,
But its True,

No, sir, it is NOT true...
Careful there, young WhiteWolf - you're trying to contradict an accomplished professional there; Poffadder is a computer engineer with the lambskin to prove it - years of intense study, matlab's, and competent Professors are something that our internet research and personal opinions cannot compete with.

Although, it's not a competition - we all should help where we can, but defer to the pros and maybe learn something along the way instead of confronting a correction with statements resembling "Don't confuse me with the facts - I've already made up my mind" - seriously, bro? "think what ever you want to think" ?!?! I don't mean to get defensive of my friends, but if you knew Poffadder and what he's gone through these past few years, you'd offer an apology after such a statement, or at least a retraction.

Please be more respectful in the future as there may be more for us all to learn about computers after all..

I believe the best advice for you, BLuD is what they said above about the GTX 760 or the GTX 770 - and consider that next time you have money for PC parts, if you're not already running iCore CPU and modern motherboard, to get a new CPU/RAM/MotherBoard setup, all your old stuff will cross over just fine, including whatever Graphics Card you purchase now.

A final note about VRAM - for a single monitor fullscreen game on a monitor that is not a "4K" display, you can run a 1080p resolution just fine at the 2GB VRAM. Cards generally come ready for most basic uses, and the amount of VRAM a card has should not influence your decision one bit, even if you want a second monitor for, say, looking at teamspeak or other non-3D applications while gaming on the first monitor. It's just a non-factor if purchase ANY decent card recommended in this post, period.

If you want multiple monitors for gaming, high-res, or other expensive things, THEN you can consider the witherto's and whyfor's of VRAM limitations(great tests and articles on that over at Tom's Hardware that I've read - check them out if these things appeal to you).
!cheers

Just returned my 970 for a 980.

The 970 is still the best bang for buck card on the market for gaming at 1080p but the performance hit is pretty noticeable at higher resolutions once you breach 3.5 GB VRAM usage. It will still perform really well if you drop your texture quality but it doesn't scale as well as the 980 due to its architectural mutilation.

Think I'm going with the 980 once I have the cash. Will it work with this setup?

Operating System Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Manufacturer CyberPowerPC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory 6GB Corsair 1866Mhz DDR3 Dominator
Hard Drive 2x300GB VelociRaptor (RAID 0) 10,000 RPM
Video Card Dual ATI Radeon HD 5870 2GB DDR5
Monitor Samsung, SyncMaster T260HD(Digital)
Sound Card SoundBlaster X-Fi
Speakers/Headset Sennheiser PC166 Headphones
Keyboard Logitech G19 LCD Gaming Keyboard / Saitek X52 Pro
Mouse Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse / Track IR 5.0

Thanks again fellas.

I didn't mean any disrespect, ... with my research and testing Its what I see.

Whats your Power supply ?
nvidia says u need a 500w
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

and how old is it?
Power supplies go down over time,

If you need something good quality and cheap 550w 80+Gold http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171092