Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

[poll] New Website

=VG= Solar

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'll keep everyone updated.

There isn't much to show at the moment. I've hit a bit of a speed bump porting data over. All the users have been migrated successfully but the forum threads/posts haven't.

Once the data has been ported I can start to show people some stuff.

What I think I'll do is create a thread in the admin section and show VG members how to access the new site, login and browse around etc. Then I'll show people on here how to browse and look.

I'm not opposed to giving non VG members access as soon as data is ported over, I just don't want a public post about it. I may PM non vg members with details on how to check the new site and play around.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks cool - but I gotta add that we've already payed near $200 for a license and our webmaster Solarflame is currently trying to port over our users and content to the new site.

I'm sure we could use some help after it gets up to do some cosmetic work and make it look sweet, but I'm not sure we're gonna start over with that pancake thing at this time. It does look cool for a landing page, tho - nice work!!

Yeah I mainly thought of it as a landing page since you've gotten IP.Board which is for forums but yeah, I'll keep working on it because I'm so bored right now haha

Maybe I can help out? I've never used IP.Board though but I know how it is to try and port the databases over to other forum software.
I converted a mybb databse to work with vbulletin once if that counts lol

For landing, what's cool is top 10 forum posts, chatbox, birthdays are fun, news items, a little space from some adds and sponsors, and the rotating graphic near the top. Bottom of page can be quick links, but I've always felt we could do a little less than our current home page - just a wee bit too busy, but I like the things I mentioned above most, it's gotta have them at least, and we gots to get the calendar back when the new site gets up.

Hey guys

Still working on the data migration, as such there isn't really anything to view yet. It's just a stock standard install with 4/5ths of the data missing.

I've had to sort something out to let their support log in and take a look but now that I've done it they should be able to take a look under the hood.

No one wants a new site more than I do. I'll update this when I've got something to show.

• 2 weeks later...
After working with support over the last few weeks, the data migration is successful.

We are going to need to sort stuff out though. A large number of topics show 0 posts. For example, in e107 we have a complaints section with 200 posts or so. Some of those posts belong in the PR section, ArmA section and so on.
In the new forum it has 0 posts. However the sub sections are now their own section and contain the posts. We haven't lost any data, its just been 're-arranged' due to the way the new forum works.

Now that we have the data, we just need to organise it in the way we like it. Make sure we correct any missing bits/bits that couldn't be converted and get a theme.

Its only the forum software that is installed at the moment and since its just a raw transfer of the data it does look a bit ugly at the moment. We need to tidy up the forums, delete loads of unused forums, perhaps buy 1 or 2 of the modules for the website and start to turn it into VG.

I'll post a link in the admin section. (sorry everyone else, its not that I don't trust you its just that this thread is publicly visible to the internet and anyone could get the link and do a bit of damage to the new site. Once its a bit more locked down I'll make it available to everyone).