Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Starting a Second PR COOP Server

FPSGeraud

Hey Guys,

Firstly I think that playing with 32 players is much more enjoyable than with the 40+ players. With to many players the games either ended to fast when full or had to many bots when the server was almost empty. However I have noticed that the server is now regularly becoming full and to fix this I would propose starting up a second VG server, possibly an OPFOR server.

On that note I wanted to ask what the costs would likely be of running a second server full time and would like to be the first to pledge $20 towards that outcome. I am sure if a few others of the regular gamers pledged a little also we would easily have enough to see it come true.

All the best guys! Geraud. !cheers
  • Upvote 1

m823us LAN_WROTE ...

I too would like a risk assessment done of running a second server. I do not know much but would be wiling to find out or start a fund raiser.

this may not be true for VG(because VG is awesome plus we have PR devs and already have a server) but i know people that said it took over 6 MONTHS for PR to give them Files to run PR server,
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/licenseapp.php

We already have a PR license, we have had one for many years now. The rules might have changed but back when I set up the Server you were allowed to host multiple PR servers off the one license.

We also run physical hardware in a German data venter so there isn't an additional cost for us to spin up another server, just the on going cost of the server in the data centre.

We ran 2 coop servers in the past. One was regular coop and one was 16 bots each side with 16 players each side. It was a bit like relaxed deployment mode so you could practice against real players without the penalties of deployment mode. Was really popular and fun too, not sure why we killed it off.

Not sure why either... perhaps population on the 2nd server was low? Shouldn't be too hard to setup a 2nd.. not sure about Mumble though Poff will have to answer that one.

If performance is an issue we can disable the 2nd A2, A3 servers (not that they run much anyway)

SolarFlame =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

We ran 2 coop servers in the past. One was regular coop and one was 16 bots each side with 16 players each side. It was a bit like relaxed deployment mode so you could practice against real players without the penalties of deployment mode. Was really popular and fun too, not sure why we killed it off.

This sounds like a really cool idea and would be a way to sort or prepare the newer guys for what deployment is like. Also it would give us a chance to play as OPFOR if we wanted to. The bots always seem to struggle as NATO when they are alone, they don't utilize helicopters well enough and struggle to cap flags. But with some human help though I think it could be fun, a little competitive and not as serious in nature as regular deployment.

I would definitely be willing to give $20 to see this achieved and to help with the additional running costs.

FPSGeraud LAN_WROTE ...

SolarFlame =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

This sounds like a really cool idea and would be a way to sort or prepare the newer guys for what deployment is like. Also it would give us a chance to play as OPFOR if we wanted to. The bots always seem to struggle as NATO when they are alone, they don't utilize helicopters well enough and struggle to cap flags. But with some human help though I think it could be fun, a little competitive and not as serious in nature as regular deployment.

I would definitely be willing to give $20 to see this achieved and to help with the additional running costs.

If you guys can do something like then that'd be so sweet, I'm definetly rooting for a new PR COOP server by you guys.
Your server introduced me to the amazing world of PR and helped me ease my way into deployment.

I'll definetly donate after I get some $ on me, gaben dried me clean ;~;

I think that with PR being stand alone we will have a higher population playing. We are averaging a lot of people on COOP right now. Over 27 average according to the Data from Game tracker. As a whole we are ranked in the 96th percentile, I believe because we have a fantastic community and we have dedicated admins that are helping and proving assistance constantly.

I'm afraid the time of needing to have 2 servers has passed. The initial !flood of new players is over and from what I've seen, the COOP servers are half empty most of the times.

What we could do is (If someone actually has time and is willing to do it) switch sides or do mini deployment events on current server from time to time.

The downed pilot thing sounds cool though I think it would be more viable on a Deployment server. With humans on both sides, people can get air assets up as quickly as possible to rescue/capture the pilot. Pilot would be given time to move to a pre-determined coordinate and once the game starts, would have to wait for a certain amount of time before he would be able to move (simulate unconsciousness I suppose). Only major problem is unless if we're able to hide the map icon of the downed pilot, I can't imagine that scenario being all that fun. Allied team can track him easily and pick him up quickly via ground vehicle. I don't know how we would do this on co-op, unless if we could also modify bot start spawn time or teleport the pilot to a specific spot.

• 2 years later...

Funny you should bring this up just now.  I've recently installed 2 additional PR Servers on the VG Dedi.  Both of them are development servers and will (from time to time) host public events to try out different game mode styles and different maps that are not part of PR.  You can see some early activity now with the events yesterday and today, and also that we are not finished with these servers yet - mumble is still not working, and this may be why there is random lag and performance issues when running more than one of these servers at a time.  I'll be fixing that this coming week.   One of those servers is a general PR Dev server suited for "whatever", and the other is dedicated to the PR COOP Insurgency gamemode that =VG= Fastjack developed.  Both will remain passworded when operating non-standard maps or gamemodes, though they will be open to the public during most events.

Aside from the PR COOP Insurgency Server, we don't plan on hosting a 2nd PR COOP Server at the same time as our VG PR COOP (running the same thing) but we are interested in running a variety of games/gamemodes which may be happening once testing of PRCOOP Insurgency is complete.

• Upvote 5

Well I would like to suggest that when we would have mumble fixed and if it doesn't interfere with other servers we have test server 3 running on Sundays with some custom maps from events. 

I think if we would to bundle the events we have made so far, and generate 1 mappack thatcan  be used on the server, the more experienced players have a rematch on maps they might have missed. 

By doing this it might persuade them in getting involved with the clan more to get more people on it. I have been recruiting most of the people for the events form the Russian Facebook (VK) and ingame but if it will become something weekly or monthly people themselfs will tell new people and get them involved. 

This will lead to more people getting involved with the clan and backwards leading to a more tight community 

That sounds pretty good.

I also think that a second coop-server just halved the player. The peak times aren't a problem. I have never waited longer than 5 minutes to be able to join because at this times there are many trolls and noobs on coop-server and the admins kicking fast...
But a semi-public server for events, clantraining, maptest and an alternative rotation that dont affect the coop-server would be cool.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:44 AM, 0100011000101 said:

That sounds pretty good.

I also think that a second coop-server just halved the player. The peak times aren't a problem. I have never waited longer than 5 minutes to be able to join because at this times there are many trolls and noobs on coop-server and the admins kicking fast...
But a semi-public server for events, clantraining, maptest and an alternative rotation that dont affect the coop-server would be cool.

It's just not as much fun as it used to be with 40 people all rushing objectives and finishing maps in record time. Part of that is a bunch of noobs with no mics, no English, and no teamwork. Then on the other hand, you get four people on during off-peak hours...one will join trans, two will join CAS...leaving one guy (usually me) to do everything else.

17 hours ago, Ragnarok1775 said:

It's just not as much fun as it used to be with 40 people all rushing objectives and finishing maps in record time. Part of that is a bunch of noobs with no mics, no English, and no teamwork. Then on the other hand, you get four

people on during off-peak hours...one will join trans, two will join CAS...leaving one guy (usually me) to do everything else.

Unfortunately, since the stand alone update this will never change. Probably the reason why I enjoy the "stupidly hard maps" such as (dare I say it) Tad sae and Charlie's.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 6:55 PM, sillymoose said:

Can we do a test run for the relaxed deployment mode? That actually sounds like a lot of fun

Surprised to see you alive and kicking! You should definitely jump back into PR and join us again!

Definitely think a second server for event and special modes is a good idea - We have a large and strong team of admins that can easily monitor both servers.